• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    This composer didn't have his own topic yet. I listened to Nikita and Leon. Nikita is a somewhat amateuristic synth score of the late eighties with some very nice moments. When you compare it with leon , there's a big difference ... leon is one of my current favourites. I'm gonna listen as much as I can from this composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Wow!! thanks to make me remember Eric Serra exists! biggrin

I really like Point of No return. cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christoph wrote
    This composer didn't have his own topic yet.

And there's a perfectly good reason for that. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Christoph wrote
    This composer didn't have his own topic yet.

And there's a perfectly good reason for that. wink

cheesy wink

I do like some of Serra's music though, Leon is very good and though it took me years to accept ( only as a listen on CD ) even GOLDENEYE has some good tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Serra's actually a million miles ahead of most of the synthy film composers. He has a bad rep because of Goldeneye (where he was really a victim of circumstance) but his music for Luc Besson is mostly very good. It's not the sort of thing I favour on album but it works very well in the films, contrasting with the babyish efforts of people like Faltermeyer and Tangerine Dream.
  1. everyone who thinks they know Eric Serra should listen to Arthur and the Invisibles, what a gorgeous orchestral work punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Arthur and The Invisibles is a score that's on my list of things to get.

Léon contains some really excellent tracks - "Noon", "Ballad For Mathilda", etc - and there's some quite distinctive orchestrations.

My negative experience with The Fifth Element put me off looking into any more of his music - until Arthur and The Invisibles came along.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Listen to the The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc and then we talk again wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Listen to the The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc and then we talk again wink

I've managed to find some audio clips and listening to them certainly tells me that there's more to Serra than his "characteristic sound" (something that Arthur and The Invisibles also highlighted).

But I wouldn't rush out to buy The Messenger. Thanks for pointing out this score though Demetris.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Serra's actually a million miles ahead of most of the synthy film composers. He has a bad rep because of Goldeneye (where he was really a victim of circumstance) but his music for Luc Besson is mostly very good. It's not the sort of thing I favour on album but it works very well in the films, contrasting with the babyish efforts of people like Faltermeyer and Tangerine Dream.

Hey! No need to put down other composers just to celebrate another. Serra was just a kid when TD was producing pioneering synth textures in the early 70's and onwards....and just an up-and-coming guy, really, when Faltermeyer was doing his wonderful synthpop innovations in the early and mid 80's.

That said, I've always enjoyed Serra's work, especially for the Besson flicks. He has that particular "French sophistication" that is also evident in Jean Michel Jarre's work, only a bit more pop-oriented. THE BIG BLUE, FIFTH ELEMENT, LEON...delightful stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Christodoulides wrote

I wasn't enthralled by Joan of Arc as well, despite it having some nice moments, but hey I'm not a fan of The Happening as well cheesy
  5. Eric Serra review of Arthur and the Invisibles
    highly recommended score by the way
    • CommentAuthordeepak88
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    There is a contest supported by famous music stars from all around the world. Eric Serra producer, bass-guitarist and composer is the EuroVoice Music Contest President and Chairman of the Council of Experts. This is organized by eurovoice.tv you can login and register your name for the contest if you are a talented person.. I have done this, what you are waiting for ??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Les Aventures Extrahordinaires D'Adèle Blanc-Sec (Bof) [Bande originale]

~ Eric Serra (Artiste), Thomas Dutronc (Artiste)

cd cover
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … AA300_.jpg

# CD (12 avril 2010)
    # Nombre de disques: 1
    # Format : Bande originale
    # Label: Columbia

TRACKLISTING/SOUND CLIPS
    http://www.amazon.fr/Aventures-Extrahor … mp;s=music
  6. I see that Amazon are releasing several of Serra's albums as mp3s on February 13th and I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the scores?

The titles are as follows:

Atlantis
    The Big Blue
    Nikita
    Jeanne d'Arc
    Subway

Listening to the clips, Jeanne d'Arc sounds the most interesting to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    All of them are fine, but ATLANTIS and BIG BLUE are classics. NIKITA is pretty good too. SUBWAY I can't remember. I was actually not that enamoured by JEANNE D'ARC. Wasn't up to his usual Besson standard, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Listening the clips I preferred the latter because it was the least electronic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening the clips I preferred the latter because it was the least electronic.

Ah yeah, I forgot you didn't like electronics.

In that case, Serra might not be for you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like Serra. Jeanne d'Arc will be the one that most appeals to the "traditionalists" - speaking of which, I wonder if anyone else has heard his recent score for The Lady. I liked it.
  8. I heard a smple on YouTube -- discovered by accident. I didn't even know there was a CD release, it slipped under the radar very quietly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    Southall wrote
    I like Serra. Jeanne d'Arc will be the one that most appeals to the "traditionalists" - speaking of which, I wonder if anyone else has heard his recent score for The Lady. I liked it.

Jeanne's score is marvelous; the only Eric Serra score i heard and liked. Is THE LADY any good in comparison?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Jeanne's score is marvelous; the only Eric Serra score i heard and liked. Is THE LADY any good in comparison?

It's different - it's Serra doing a westernised Chinese sound. It's pretty good.
  9. I have the album it is very good. Also saw the movie. The music blends in very well. It is also nice to listen to it without the movie
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

It's different - it's Serra doing a westernised Chinese sound. It's pretty good.

Sold!
  10. My review of LUCY, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/07/29/lucy-eric-serra/

Jon
  11. New interview with Serra:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nv2Po7xwIY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.