• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    I swear I read your sentence two times and didn't see that just. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll try again:

Shearmur is talented, both artistically and technically. Small drama films generally aren't the type of films which require technically demanding music (in relative terms). Bigger, action/adventure films do. That's why I'd like to see Shearmur hired for the 'bigger' films more often, because he excels at them. And to be honest, I've never really been a fan of Shearmur's smaller scores.

Listening to Sky Captain the other day, I thought what a shame it is he hasn't been given a 'bigger' project since.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    He would have been another great choice for Clash of The Titans.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now I'm sad. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fact is that he's not too good in small dramas...he shouldn't score them at all. Listen to what Gabriel Yared or Philippe Rombie does for these films and compare with the drone he usually comes up with (with the exception of K-pax). Shearmur should only do big stuff, to which he proved he excels.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would love to hear a Rombi action score! (Just look what Yared did with Troy.)

But yeah, Rombi is one of the best for small dramas.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My composer choices for CLASH OF THE TITANS ( a film I've heard no reviews of yet but I know it's a huge spectacle and is great composer bigness material )

Ed Sheamur
    Gabriel Yared
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Don Davis
    Wojciech Kilar
    Alexandre Desplat
    Dario Marianelli

...and the winner is...

ramin djawadi
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stop it. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's really terrible, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I've read a review that says a theme from Armstrong was used in the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Guys - Be happy that the man is still working. He has to provide for his family and since the offers for the big budget summer blockbusters aren't coming his way (so sad) he is going to have to get what he can to pay the bills and put food on the table. Look on the bright side we now have a Shearmur score to look forward to!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I knew someone would say that!

We are happy he's still working (well, I know I am), but we're also saying we'd rather he worked on bigger projects from time to time. Nobody here is disputing the man needs to earn a living. In fact, he can work as a male whore to get his money for all I care - but I would like to hear another action adventure-type score from him. And there's no harm in wishing for another Sky Captain or Reign of Fire!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No harm whatsoever but it's really out of his control. I too would love to hear another Sky Captain from Shearmur but sadly his services for such films aren't in demand. Let's embrace this new project with some positivity and see if he can create something wonderful for all of us to enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope so. But blind positiveness aside, I'm really not expecting much from this one... though I do hope to be proved wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Mother and child

info:
    http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2010/ … -2010.html

Cd cover / sound clips:
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … rmur-.html
  1. I finally heard Reign of Fire today, and I must say my ears are still burning (in a good way, if that is possible?)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    Oh yeah, that's possible! It's what Reign of Fire does! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    Yay, so nice to see such a gifted composer...working again.

He scores 'JUMPING THE BROOM'

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … the-broom/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ugh...why does he never score any good movies? The man can write some serious stuff. rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed.
  2. lol

1000 kudos points to Demetris for that!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
  3. Anthony wrote
    Ugh...why does he never score any good movies? The man can write some serious stuff. rolleyes slant

Jerry Goldsmith composed some great music for some poor films. Shearmur hasn't been able to do the same as far as I can see.

Maybe it's more a case of someone showing early promise but yet to build on the early promise.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, There weren't movies like 'Jumping the broom' back in Goldsmith's days, you know the vomit-inducing Jennifer Aniston type of shit. Shearmur has proven numerously that he's a great composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But directors seem to prefer the same people for the big projects all the time; for instance i'd really be interested to hear what would Shearmur do with Skyline or Battle:la, shitty films (from what it seems) but with great premise for big things in the score department.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, There weren't movies like 'Jumping the broom' back in Goldsmith's days, you know the vomit-inducing Jennifer Aniston type of shit. Shearmur has proven numerously that he's a great composer.

That's beside the point, there were some very crappy films that Goldsmith scored and he mostly came up trumps.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    But directors seem to prefer the same people for the big projects all the time; for instance i'd really be interested to hear what would Shearmur do with Skyline or Battle:la, shitty films (from what it seems) but with great premise for big things in the score department.

Definitely the kind of films I would prefer him to score with exactly the reasons you give.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    It does matter 'cause this crappy vomit-inducing totally unrealistic cheesy american rom-com films, always force the same kind of scoring, as a composer you really can't do much with this.
  4. Back when Goldsmith was doing these crappy films was he given a shot at doing what he wanted? Or were the filmmakers still adventurous enough to trust the composer?

And are today's composers quite happy to turn out these "poor" scores?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    Today's composers, as they'll tell you, are much more pushed and channelled through certain directions than 20-30 years ago. Every director wants the trendy sound for the kind of movie they're making, each time according to what's hot. I couldn't help but to think of that the other day as well when listening to BATTLE:LA with Murphy's sound all over it.

It's much more business today than it ever was; many composers today are just happy to pay the bills through their profession and i can't really blame them.