• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/09/26/h … lm-scores/

This one is a must have for any collection and the nicest thing of all it is not one a limited edition and only costs $9. A perfect introduction to Herrmann.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Shouldn't this be in the Bernard Herrmann thread or are you starting a Top 100 scores of all time thread, Tom.

BTW, the recording you mention above is indeed one of the finest out there! Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've decided to start a list of some of my all time favorite recordings so all composers will be listed. It perhaps might be an idea to have Bregt make it a sticky for the top of the forum discussion.

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Another one of my top 100 recordings of all time is:
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/m … n-copland/
    This is a wonderful Copland CD that is filled with all of his film music. While Aaron didn't write a lot of material the influences that he had are far reaching. Again this is a recording that is readily available and is not subject to all of this limited edition bs. If Bregt sees this thread I hope he makes it a sticky.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Is there some sort of order you are doing this in, Tom?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am just compiling some of the favorite scores that I always go back to for now.
    tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I am just compiling some of the favorite scores that I always go back to for now.
    tom smile

Do you already have the Top 100 selected... or as Indy says... are you making this all up as you go?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    I have a very good idea on the majority of them but I could be swayed to change out on a few of them.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    An all time favorite of mine is http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/07/18/t … riedhofer/

As many of you know I have an extreme fondness for Hugo Friedhofer and this classic score. If there is one that should be re-scored/constructed and recorded again this is the one. I understand the original material has been destroyed but there was a lot of work done on the 1979 LP. The recording I'm talking about was remastered in 2000.

Thomas smile
  1. sdtom wrote
    tom smile

Albums or scores? Cuz I just clicked on links that talk about two compilation albums. dizzy Also, maybe you should start numbering these, not rank them, but at least let us know how many you have to go. Obviously we can count now, but when you're in the 50's we may lose track. confused
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008
    What I am selecting for you are 100 CD's that are a must to have in your collection. While the Copland and Herrmann are compilation releases, they are excellent CD's and should be in your collection of material. I will # them for all of you.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    #1...Herrmann: Film Scores
    #2...Copland: Film Suites
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives
    #4...Victory at Sea
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/10/06/v … d-rodgers/

You can all say what you wish about your favorite television themes but to a deaf ear as far as I'm concerned. Victory at Sea is the finest television material ever written. Your problem today is obtaining material, but the Kunzel CD is still in print.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Victory At Sea is quite easily available, I happily found out.
    And while I would be slightly hesitant (though not fully unfavourable) towards calling it the finest TV material ever written, it's most certainly in my top 3!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Victory At Sea is quite easily available, I happily found out.
    And while I would be slightly hesitant (though not fully unfavourable) towards calling it the finest TV material ever written, it's most certainly in my top 3!

It's certainly the most MASSIVE tv score ever written. The full score would take up a lot of CD's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoy212
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Victory at Sea....my all-time favorite score. This is the score that got me interested in film scores as a whole. I can remember watching this on NBC (prime time) TV, in 1952 & 53. As young as I was then, I thought the music was absolutely awesome. Then the lp appeared one day. I've been hooked ever since. It may seem strange, but to this day I judge every score I listen to against Victory at Sea.
  2. There is some excellent music from Victory At Sea - though I don't listen to it very much. I have 2 CDs from this TV show - re-recordings? But the listening experience is spoilt somewhat with the cues that feature SFX.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoy212
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There is some excellent music from Victory At Sea - though I don't listen to it very much. I have 2 CDs from this TV show - re-recordings? But the listening experience is spoilt somewhat with the cues that feature SFX.

You must try to find the two RCA issued CD's called "Victory at Sea" (RCA 60963) and "More Victory at Sea" (RCA 60964). These 2 CD's present the original Vols. 1, 2 & 3, in track order. They were Dolbyized and issued about the same time Classic Film Score series on RCA. Much of the original sfx that appeared on the orig. vol. 3, have been removed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    Roy212 wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There is some excellent music from Victory At Sea - though I don't listen to it very much. I have 2 CDs from this TV show - re-recordings? But the listening experience is spoilt somewhat with the cues that feature SFX.

You must try to find the two RCA issued CD's called "Victory at Sea" (RCA 60963) and "More Victory at Sea" (RCA 60964). These 2 CD's present the original Vols. 1, 2 & 3, in track order. They were Dolbyized and issued about the same time Classic Film Score series on RCA. Much of the original sfx that appeared on the orig. vol. 3, have been removed.

To be honest I'm really surprised that Rogers work hasn't had a modern re-recording!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    As with much of the older material, a lack of interest. It would be a wonderful project for John Morgan but he has so many to work on he'll die before he'd ever get to it.
    Thomas smile
  3. Timmer wrote
    To be honest I'm really surprised that Rogers work hasn't had a modern re-recording!?

That's Rodgers with a "d" - I'm Rogers without the "d"!!

Roy212 wrote
    You must try to find the two RCA issued CD's called "Victory at Sea" (RCA 60963) and "More Victory at Sea" (RCA 60964).

These are the two CDs I do have. Do you mean that there was more SFX on the original release(s)?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives/Friedhofer
    #4...Victory at Sea/Rodgers
    #5...The Big Country/Moross
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/04/27/t … trymoross/

The latest release from our good friends at La-La Land is a fine addition to your collection.

Thomas smile
  4. Good choice for #5, Tom. Moross' The Big Country is a worthy addition to your list. I'm quite happy with my SAE disc so haven't bought the La-La Land Records version.

Surely they have sold a significant proportion of the 3,000 discs pressed? A title that deserves to be sold out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The minor minor differences between the La-La Land and SAE are certainly not enough to merit a purchase. As I stated in my article/review only about 400 were sold to the public by SAE. I'll have to ask MV how many he has left the next time I speak.
    Thomas smile
  5. sdtom wrote
    The minor minor differences between the La-La Land and SAE are certainly not enough to merit a purchase. As I stated in my article/review only about 400 were sold to the public by SAE. I'll have to ask MV how many he has left the next time I speak.
    Thomas smile

I had a read of your piece on The Big Country and it was an interesting read. You do mention the improvements made by La-La Land Records for their release and I do remember hearing a slight improvement when I compared their audio clips with my SAE CD.

With the current climate of limited editions selling out in hours I'd be interested to hear how sales of this title are going. It would be disappointing if only relatively low numbers have gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I should also point out to all that the list is in no particular order ranking wise. At this point I couldn't do that. Perhaps later. For now I'll just let you know.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's Rodgers with a "d" - I'm Rogers without the "d"!!

Roy212 wrote
    You must try to find the two RCA issued CD's called "Victory at Sea" (RCA 60963) and "More Victory at Sea" (RCA 60964).

These are the two CDs I do have. Do you mean that there was more SFX on the original release(s)?

Y'know Alan, even as I wrote that I knew it looked wrong.....Rodgers ( Rodgers )...indeed! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Roy212 wrote

The original releases were monaural, if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm very happy with the representation on the two re-issues.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives/Friedhofer
    #4...Victory at Sea/Rodgers
    #5...The Big Country/Moross
    #6...Scott of the Antarctic/Vaughan Williams

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=2503

Some of the material was actually written before the filming began! This is truly a crowning achievement that became his 7th symphony which premiered in 1953, 5 years after the film was introduced, a scenario that is usually the other way around.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A fantastic edition to your list Tom, faultless! cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A must have in your collection
    Thomas smile