• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    1...Herrmann: Film Scores
    #2...Copland: Film Suites
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives/Friedhofer
    #4...Victory at Sea/Rodgers
    #5...The Big Country/Moross
    #6...Scott of the Antarctic/Vaughan Williams
    #7...She/Max Steiner

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/shemax-steiner/

This is one that I've really fallen in love with and is another must have in your collection.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. The new recording of Steiner's She is well worth getting. I've heard this score several times via the original recording CD but this new recording makes the score seem like a completely different score!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    In my opinion this is a truly remarkable effort from all involved.
    Thomas smile
  2. I just hope that enough people support their efforts so that these wonderful recordings can continue for some time to come.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    We can only hope
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    One nice thing about tribute is that the term 'low quantity alert' won't apply.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Thinking about another one!
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Thinking about another one!
    Thomas smile

Surely Rozsa or Tiomkin Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile How did you know I was thinking Rozsa?
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    smile How did you know I was thinking Rozsa?
    Thomas

I couldn't see it being anyone else Tom, save for, as I mentioned, Tiomkin. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. OK, either Ben Hur, Spellbound or El Cid, I guess smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    OK, either Ben Hur, Spellbound or El Cid, I guess smile

Or even KING OF KINGS cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is a Tiomkin that I have in mind also. You're a pretty sharp guy Timmer. Pawel your right on too!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/h … nd-dessau/

1...Herrmann: Film Scores
    #2...Copland: Film Suites
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives/Friedhofer
    #4...Victory at Sea/Rodgers
    #5...The Big Country/Moross
    #6...Scott of the Antarctic/Vaughan Williams
    #7...She/Max Steiner
    #8...House of Frankenstein/Salter
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Rozsa has got to be my favourite of the classic era composers. Even more than Herrmann and Newman. My favourite of his is actually "The Thief of Baghdad". Followed by the others you all mentioned. Also, "Time After Time" and "Sodom and Gomorrah" are right up there, for me.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Rozsa has got to be my favourite of the classic era composers. Even more than Herrmann and Newman. My favourite of his is actually "The Thief of Baghdad". Followed by the others you all mentioned. Also, "Time After Time" and "Sodom and Gomorrah" are right up there, for me.

I love Time After Time which sadly is amongst the last film scores he ever wrote. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited

I love Time After Time which sadly is amongst the last film scores he ever wrote. sad

Yes... and "The Thief of Baghdad" being one of his very first, it's good to observe a composer whose last works were as good as his lasts. He never did falter. Nor did he "sell out", opting for an "artsier" style at the expense of more "fun" projects. Jerry Goldsmith also stuck to his guns: he was scoring fun stuff like Looney Tunes and The Mummy right into his last years...

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    However neither Time After Time or Thief of Baghdad are in the top 100, nor is any of this newly releases material save one and we know what that is.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited
    As a matter of fact, where *is* that top 100? I see that's the topic of the thread, but I never seem to see that list go beyond #8. And the top 2 aren't film scores in their own rights, but compilations. I'd love to see that fabled list, and learn of the criteria that were used to build it.

At any rate, I'm sure we all have our own unique and personal top 100s. The Thief of Baghdad might possibly make mine.

J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The list is 100 film CD's that are the top 100 of all time. You'll get them one by one so the thread will be on going for over a year.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    Ahh, I see. Thanks Thomas! So the term is "CDs" and not necessarily individual "scores", which is why compilations are making their way on there?

And who decides what goes on the list? Are we ready for an Alex North suggestion? I fear for my personal safety if Spartacus doesn't make it on there.

J-F
  4. Tom himself decides smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Ahh, I see. Thanks Thomas! So the term is "CDs" and not necessarily individual "scores", which is why compilations are making their way on there?

And who decides what goes on the list? Are we ready for an Alex North suggestion? I fear for my personal safety if Spartacus doesn't make it on there.

J-F

It's Tom's personal opinion of what the top 100 is. I look forward to his next choice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tom himself decides smile

Go Tom! smile

The comment "any of this newly releases material save one and we know what that is"... does that imply nothing modern will make the list, except one? That's a bit of a shame. Which one would that be? (seeing as I'm new, I don't really know your tastes as well as the others)

Oh, I know!!! It's Edelman's "Kindergarten Cop", right? wink

J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    Did Randy Edelman kill this discussion?? I'm sorry! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another one soon! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
  5. The Rozsa finally?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We love to guess don't we. I'll tell you what it won't be Vic Mizzy.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    We love to guess don't we. I'll tell you what it won't be Vic Mizzy.
    Thomas smile

Giorgio Moroder? wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2008
    EL CID has to amke it.