• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    It's a shame Alan and I couldn't bring a couple of our old threads from Andy's site ( ScoreReviews ) over to here.

Alan's in particular which covered his own personal greatest scores from 1933 to the present.

For me, I wish I could have continued my James Bond in chronological order thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    Still putting together some things in my mind.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Timmer wrote
    It's a shame Alan and I couldn't bring a couple of our old threads from Andy's site ( ScoreReviews ) over to here.

Alan's in particular which covered his own personal greatest scores from 1933 to the present.

For me, I wish I could have continued my James Bond in chronological order thread.

You don't want to restart that thread, eh? It was really interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Agreed! Two extraordinary threads... especially Alan's because of the shock when he would reveal another favorite that would almost always come out of left field.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I actually even talked to Andy a while back if he still could made the comments database available for some cherry picking, but apparently it's all been wiped... sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, I actually even talked to Andy a while back if he still could made the comments database available for some cherry picking, but apparently it's all been wiped... sad

slant sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    1...Herrmann: Film Scores
    #2...Copland: Film Suites
    #3...Best Years of Our Lives/Friedhofer
    #4...Victory at Sea/Rodgers
    #5...The Big Country/Moross
    #6...Scott of the Antarctic/Vaughan Williams
    #7...She/Max Steiner
    #8...House of Frankenstein/Salter
    #9...Sunset Boulevard/Franz Waxman

To one of the finer films ever made goes a score that was groundbreaking.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    no comment? Oh wait no one has likely ever heard or seen the movie
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    sdtom wrote

Guilty as charged shame

( except I have heard of it and I knew who scored it )
  2. The score was amazing, I've heard it. I haven't seen the film yet. One of my favorite Golden Age scores.
  3. Loved the film and loved the score. I actually had the main theme somehow stuck in my head long before I had seen the film, so when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised. It also got me to explore other Franz Waxman works. Then from Waxman I went off exploring other golden age composers until finally I knew pretty much all of them. This score was like a gateway score for me.

It's great how dangerous and dramatic it can sound one minute and then mysterious and lush the next.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Agreed! Two extraordinary threads... especially Alan's because of the shock when he would reveal another favorite that would almost always come out of left field.

-Erik-

biggrin
    I remember really enjoying putting my list together and revealing them to - sometimes quite passionate - discussions!

I'm sure that I still have the list lurking in my PC somewhere. Having listened to quite a few more CDs since them I might just revisit that list sometime - perhaps when Tom's finished off his Top 100 list?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    sdtom wrote

I really hope that was a tongue-in-cheek comment, Tom.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Can't I be a bit sarcastic once in awhile.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    If you look up the terms of use of this forum, you'll find the use of sarcasm is reserved solely for administrators. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

I do own and quite like the score! And it's high on my list of things to rent from my local video store. And I'm ready for my close up.

I'm a big Franz Waxman fan, but I much prefer Prince Valiant, The Spirit of St. Louis, Peyton Place and Taras Bulba.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Sunset Boulevard is in my top 100. None of the others made it. However, there could be another score from Franz lurking in the shadows.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like your comment Martijn. We have thread police and then we have the higher ups cheesy

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Sunset Boulevard is in my top 100. None of the others made it. However, there could be another score from Franz lurking in the shadows.
    Thomas

The Bride of Frankenstein. However, I would easily pick Bulba and Valiant over Bride. But, Bride does have some historical importance.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I like your comment Martijn. We have thread police and then we have the higher ups cheesy

Thomas smile

...and then we have Jordi.
  5. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And what else did Waxman do early on
  6. What about his works for Hitchcock?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I thinks your really warm
  7. Rebecca?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    Giving this a lot of thought. A lot
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    Cimarron is another of my big favourites, but again I doubt that'll make your list.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Your right Cimarron won't make the list
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    sdtom wrote
    And what else did Waxman do early on

Are we talking Bride here?
    It's my favourite Waxman score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    If you look up the terms of use of this forum, you'll find the use of sarcasm is reserved solely for administrators. wink

Oooh. How rude of themz.
    Kazoo