• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    So if anyone noticed that I haven't been around for the last week and a half, it's because I've been in Lusaka, Zambia, Africa. (as well as a brief layover in London... hi MainTitles people from UK).

I was there to help with a camp for orphaned and endangered children. Zambia is one of the worst AIDS-affected countries in the world. It has a population of 10 million and of those, over 1 million are orphans. The life expectancy is 38 years, one of the worst in the world, and the average age is just a little over 15. And a lot of those 15-year-olds like more like they are 10 because of stunted growth from malnourishment. So it is not a very nice place. One of the strangest things I discovered is that we in the West are actually much more aware of the damage AIDS is doing in Africa than the Africans themselves are. In superstitious countries like Zambia, there is such a stigma surrounding AIDS that nobody talks about it and nobody wants to admit that they have it.

There were about 100 Americans and over 1000 kids at the camp. Each of the Americans was in charge of leading a small group of 10-16 kids. We had large group and small group meetings where the kids were taught (mostly about Jesus, sorry if this offends you anti-Christian people around here...but you'd be surprised some of the stories I heard from perfectly sane Westerners about supernatural occurences, so either there is something more than meets the eye or there was a lot of mass-hypnosis going on smile ) Then each of us Americans were responsible for meeting with each of the kids in our group individually (through a translator) and finding out about their lives...whether they have enough to eat, whether they are being abused (which most of them are in one way or another because they're orphans, mostly AIDS orphans, and nobody really wants them...I had one kid who was officially the cutest little black kid ever and his dad just died a month ago and yet his aunt beats him every day). So yeah...it wasn't really a vacation, but I am very glad for the experience and I plan on going back next year.

Another highlight was staying in a house with two American families...being a single adult I was rather not looking forward to going on the trip by myself, but the other people in my house were very hospitable and I had a great time hanging out and being harassed by their younger kids (ages 8-13). So yeah. I will post pictures later if anyone is interested.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    Far be it from me to lambast anyone for doing good, christian or otherwise.

Love to see some pics when you're ready Matt smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    We did give them lots of stuff...pencils, cups, shirts, shoes, jackets (all equally so there wouldn't be any jealousy)...so we did some good even if you think the christian part of it was brainwashing wink the missions agency we were working with also uses the money they get from Americans to help develop the communities that the kids live in. for example, they just held a phonetics workshop for the teachers of the schools in Lusaka...most of them did not understand phonetics so they pronounce english words literally (such as pronouncing the silent 'e' at the ends of words). and less than 5% of the money given goes to administrative costs which is virtually unheard of in the world of charitable organizations.

oh, and you have NO idea how loudly a thousand third-world orphans can cheer for the gift of a single pencil. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Wow, quite the holiday. smile

And no brainwashing. Neat. wink

No seriously, good to hear such things! Pictures would be nice indeed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Matt,it's truly wonderful that you did that.I cannot help but admire every worhty attempt to bring happiness and make these children feel cared for.Your example is good for all of us! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    I am actually not very happy to be back in the US... I don't think I've ever felt more at home than I did when I was Africa, or felt more profoundly that my life was actually worthwhile...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    Pictures!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 … =523601762
    sorry about the quality...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Sounds like a very rewarding trip, Scribe. Good work!
    I am extremely serious.