• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    In my Firefox I have a group of film score boards I open at the same time:

FSM
    Filmtracks
    Movie Music UK
    MovieMusic.com
    Maintitles.com
    The Ennio Morricone discussion board

The order is due to tradition, not preference. wink

So, is there any interesting score forum action I'm missing out on? Have I bookmarked the most important and active boards out there?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    If you are a John Williams fan check out jwfan.net's message board. There is more to that board than John Williams, BTW.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks Erik and Tom, great stuff!!!

I'm usually more a lurker than a poster on these kinda forums, but you might expect a few future posts from me on those forums.

Any other links to great forums, will be warmly welcomed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021
    Currently, I find that JWFAN is the most active forum. You can basically refresh every other minute, and there are new additions to the thread you're following. Of course, it's 90% banter, but it has a very dedicated and prolific core base. FSM is still active, but not on that level. I'm not aware of any other forum or messageboard - an outdated form of communiation, alas - that has that much activity. So Maintitles is in good company that way.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    ...forum or messageboard - an outdated form of communiation, alas...

Really? What do you think has taken their place?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2021 edited
    Social media. In my opinion, not an ideal platform for discussing at all.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

But messageboards are somewhere to visit for a specific topic. On social media you have to weed out all the rubbish. Even in things like Facebook pages on film music.

I do think that this messageboard suffers with there not being a way to add images. But this messageboard has been around for ages where images weren't such a big part of things.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2021 edited
    Yes, that's what I mean. I think social media are an awful platform for discussing. It pains me that messageboards are a dying platform. My own attempt at starting one at Celluloid Tunes was a failure, and I've since removed it. The only ones still active to one form or another seem to the ones that were established in the 90s and still have a strong and loyal core base.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    ...messageboards are a dying platform. My own attempt at starting one at Celluloid Tunes was a failure, and I've since removed it. The only ones still active to one form or another seem to the ones that were established in the 90s and still have a strong and loyal core base.

I think that this is the thing: a loyal core base of participants. Unless there's a clear differentiation between the established messageboards and any new ones it's hard for the new one to get established. Why should anyone visit a new messageboard when there are a couple of familiar ones that do the job already.

Maybe that's why the John Williams board has persisted? Firstly, because it's an established one and also because it has a topic that is (theoretically) specifically related to one topic: John Williams. But, when a group is attracted together by a common topic the community then branches out to discuss other topics and then it becomes the same as the more general messageboards. But, by then, the community is established and members persist.

Perhaps, one of the main problems with MainTitles is that over a period of time a lot of the main contributors moved on to other things (they 'grew out of' film music?). There was luckily an influx of fresh blood around the same time which meant that this 'board did persist but at a much reduced posting frequency.
  4. Definitely there's that. My website has a rather active message board (and, actually, a Facebook group, though they don't really intertwine when it comes to membership). It's mostly the loyalty that makes it work so well. I think there are 10-15 members participating regularly and even some lurk and return once in a while.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. The Zooms have helped me "care" a bit more. Not that I didn't care about you all before, but putting faces to names and having more real time interaction (since my time zone is so different than yours, we're rarely online at the same time, so it's not very conversation-like) has made conversing with you all on the forum more enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2021
    Thor wrote

Why?

I find it far more interesting to discuss film music via Facebook than any of the message boards mainly because a response to anything you post is a lot quicker PLUS you can notifications anytime one of your posts have been responded to. I guess JWFan does that as well.

I just find there is a more diverse group of film music fans on Facebook than in any forum I've been to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021 edited
    Facebook was never designed for in-depth discussion -- it's mostly just designed for short comments. I hate the various "levels" and tree branch-style format. All rather confusing. Lots of scrolling involved.

I prefer the clean, specialized, focussed look of a messageboard - with easy ways to quote special elements of an argument, post pictures/videos/sound (not so much relevant for this minimalistic board, though) and to follow the flow of conversation.

Feedback may be faster on Facebook, and attract more activity, but I still hate it as a discussion platform - interface-wise. I very rarely engage in discussions there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021
    I can understand you not liking the format but I've had numerous long, deep and informative conversation on film music not only with fans and collectors but with the composers themselves. That's what's so great about Facebook (and Twitter to a point) It's a platform where have the ability to interact directly with composers, depending on which forum you are part of or which composer(s) is on your friends list.

I once had a very long and insightful conversation with Edward Shearmur about the use of preexisting music in film and how that approach transforms those pieces into something else completely by being associated with the film -- Tubular Bells in The Exorcist and Strauss in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Those two pieces for instance, have completely different associations now than what the composers had envisioned them to be. And that conversation sucked in a whole slew of people including filmmakers, other composers, etc into a massive debate. It was quite incredible actually. And that's on;y one example of the many longer debates I've had over the years on Facebook.

So, while Facebook might not have been designed for in-depth discussion, it's certainly has evolved into a platform for in-depth discussion.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    I can understand you not liking the format but I've had numerous long, deep and informative conversation on film music not only with fans and collectors but with the composers themselves. That's what's so great about Facebook (and Twitter to a point) It's a platform where have the ability to interact directly with composers, depending on which forum you are part of or which composer(s) is on your friends list.

I once had a very long and insightful conversation with Edward Shearmur about the use of preexisting music in film and how that approach transforms those pieces into something else completely by being associated with the film -- Tubular Bells in The Exorcist and Strauss in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Those two pieces for instance, have completely different associations now than what the composers had envisioned them to be. And that conversation sucked in a whole slew of people including filmmakers, other composers, etc into a massive debate. It was quite incredible actually. And that's on;y one example of the many longer debates I've had over the years on Facebook.

So, while Facebook might not have been designed for in-depth discussion, it's certainly has evolved into a platform for in-depth discussion.

-Erik-

These conversations tend to be part of specific Facebook Pages? Pages are not something that I have really tried but I can see how a particular post on a page and the associated answers can lead to a long conversation that is akin to it being a specific topic on a messageboard.

So I can see how Facebook and a messageboard can be quite similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021
    I actually agree with Thor on this one. God, that hurt. wink

Though I'm not particularly active on Facebook anymore full-stop.