• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    Some of my favorites for film scores (so far) are the London Symphony and the Hollywood Studio Symphony. What are yours? Moderators, feel free to move this to "Off Topic" if you feel this does not belong here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    That's a tough one. What makes those you listed your favorites? Do they have a distinct sound or style that you enjoy? Are their brass sections much better than the others? Again, just doing a list without some sort of explanation as to why you have these orchestras on the list is rather boring.

For instance, there was something about the London Symphony's brass section in the late to early 80's that were a bump above the rest. Not sure why but the sound they produced was like nothing I had ever heard before. Such strength, such power... but maybe that had to do with the recording technique of Eric Tomlinson who was recording the majority of the LSO's film scores during that time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    I guess I'd have to go with the LSO, although there are many fantastic orchestras out there. But it's all dependent on the quality of the music and even more importantly the conductor. The quality of the recording, if we're talking about recordings rather than live performances, affects the final sound and perception we have of the orchestras to a higher degree than most people realise.

I tend not to think in terms of preferred orchestras too much anymore, rather recorders and conductors. Eric Tomlinson and Charles Gerhardt are probably my favourites respectively in the world of film music.
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    While I'm sure that is indeed a huge factor in their sound at that time Eric, just watching them rehearse and record in the ESB doc also reveals the high calibre and power of their musicianship.
    So I think those two elements combined is a most certainly a win situation punk
  1. I've heard that it's the string section that's the best in LSO.

I like the Warsaw Philharmonic - which is the only orchestra I've heard *regularly* live. From Polish ones also Sinfonia Varsovia never failed me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I must be honest that we must be very proud of our orchestras

Vlaams Radio Orkest has got more potential than most people think or assume. But of course the London is pure magic, and The Studio Symphony never let me down yet

Go Vlaams Radio Orkest punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    LSO, of course, but I really love the sound of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, their brass section is just fantastic.

mc
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The various London orchestras are just superb, particularly the LSO, LPO and the LMO. There's a rich, powerful sound that's very irresistable.

And the various L.A. studio orchestras come to mind, but then they're expected to sight read and perform the score perfectly right then and there. And let's not forget the Northwest Sinfonia... the Grudge scores and The Incredible Hulk sound just as good as an L.A. studio orchestra.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. I find it hard to grasp how people can have a "favourite orchestra" and I usually have to fall back to position that I am just not very good at hearing the things that make an orchestra great out of all the other orchestras that are good at their job. Or I just don't really care.

Yes, there are some orchestras that are obviously not up to the job when listening to scores: the brass fluffing their chances on some early Horner scores, etc.

But things are just too subtle for me to get when there are 3-4 orchestras and you have to pick a favourite.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    I really think it depends on the recording especially as far as classical is concerned. Some of the Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony RCA Living Stereo recordings are unsurpassed yet others are blah. I use to think the Cincinnati Pops/Kunzel recordings were some of the best. Today they are blah. The Hollywood Studio Symphony does a good job for many soundtracks. Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic made some great recordings also.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's a tough one. What makes those you listed your favorites? Do they have a distinct sound or style that you enjoy? Are their brass sections much better than the others? Again, just doing a list without some sort of explanation as to why you have these orchestras on the list is rather boring.

For instance, there was something about the London Symphony's brass section in the late to early 80's that were a bump above the rest. Not sure why but the sound they produced was like nothing I had ever heard before. Such strength, such power... but maybe that had to do with the recording technique of Eric Tomlinson who was recording the majority of the LSO's film scores during that time.

-Erik-

I absolutely adore the LSO's brass section; they have always sounded incredible to my ears. As you said, there is so much power behind that section. I can hardly find a fault with them. Recently I have been buying a lot of their classical MP3 albums and CDs, and I am just as impressed with their playing ability here as in the film scores. As for the Hollywood Studio Symphony, they just sound awesome all around. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSO, HOLLYWOOD STUDIO SYMPHONY.

Top sound, top musicians although on the other hand, it would be impossible for me to list specific orchestra names in a thread that would deal on the contrary, i.e. THE WORST / LEAST FAVORITE ORCHESTRAS. So much quality music-playing and top-notch performance around these days from every field.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    So much quality music-playing and top-notch performance around these days from every field.

Agreed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    As for some of my classical favorites, I'd say the London Symphony, Chicago Symphony, Staatskapelle Berlin, Vienna Philharmonic, and maybe the New York Philharmonic. Granted, the quality of most of these orchestras seems to depend at times on who is conducting them...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    ^ But WHY do you like them? Be more specific.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ But WHY do you like them? Be more specific.

-Erik-

Very well. The London Symphony are a no-brainer, as I have heard them in countless films and have loved every second of them playing. After hearing them in films, I moved on to their classical recordings, which are equally good. I was first introduced to the Chicago Symphony by a friend, and have heard them in several recordings; the sound quality of these recordings is also very, very good. The Staatskapelle Berlin I learned about recently with a recording of the Schumann symphonies. They are exceptional in all aspects, and I am already planning on purchasing more and more recordings from them. The Vienna Philharmonic I have heard in several recordings of Mahler symphonies; all the times I've heard them I have been stunned and amazed by their talent (as well as their awesome horn section punk biggrin). And as for the New York Philharmonic, I have almost the entire Leonard Bernstein/New York Philharmonic cycle of the Mahler symphonies, which are all highly acclaimed, top recordings of the works, even though performed and recorded back in the '60s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    But it's all dependent on the quality of the music and even more importantly the conductor.

I agree. I once read a quote by Leonard Bernstein which is, "I'm not interested in having an orchestra sound like itself. I want it to sound like the composer." I think this applies to what you're saying, as an orchestra's sound can differ based upon the conductor's interpretation and instruction on how to play certain passages within a work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    But it's all dependent on the quality of the music and even more importantly the conductor.

I agree. I once read a quote by Leonard Bernstein which is, "I'm not interested in having an orchestra sound like itself. I want it to sound like the composer." I think this applies to what you're saying, as an orchestra's sound can differ based upon the conductor's interpretation and instruction on how to play certain passages within a work.

As a conductor Bernstein really was something else, a man that pushed the boundaries for getting what he wanted from his players and so incredibly passionate about every piece he conducted, a man who personally felt and experienced every single nano-second of every single note being played, having seen him conduct on TV I so wish I could have witnessed him in a live performance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

As a conductor Bernstein really was something else, a man that pushed the boundaries for getting what he wanted from his players and so incredibly passionate about every piece he conducted, a man who personally felt and experienced every single nano-second of every single note being played, having seen him conduct on TV I so wish I could have witnessed him in a live performance.

Yes, I have several recordings by him. Great stuff. His interpretations are brilliant! smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    Not any of the Italian orchestras.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    KevinSmith wrote
    Not any of the Italian orchestras.

What? Why not? Please explain. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    I find it somewhat interesting that the City of Prague Philharmonic's sound seems pretty dull and amateurish on most of their movie music albums, yet (from what I've heard so far) their sound in the new Star Wars: The Clone Wars score seems to be a major improvement. Any ideas as to why? Is it Kevin Kiner's conducting/instruction? Have they actually gotten better? I'm curious.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I thought Kiner recorded his score for Star Wars: The Clone Wars with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra, not a Prague ensemble. confused
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No takers for THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    I thought Kiner recorded his score for Star Wars: The Clone Wars with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra, not a Prague ensemble. confused

Nope, it's the City of Prague Philharmonic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Maybe I was wrong, about the City of Prague Philharmonic actually getting better... Upon hearing them in preview clips for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars score, they sound just as they always have... Makes me wonder what Lucas was thinking, getting an orchestra like this, rather than a more highly acclaimed ensemble. It was upon hearing these preview clips that I actually recognized the sound of the orchestra, from my younger brother's (it's on my iTunes, also) The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie OST. Is that a good thing? No! I didn't much enjoy the sound of the ensemble on that OST; now I'll have to put up with it again, but this time, playing a Star Wars score. George, what have you done?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm no expert as I haven't been following this project at all, but maybe it was budget reasons they chose the City of Prague Philharmonic orchestra? Maybe other things didn't suit the schedule? Who knows. All I know is these kinds of decisions are rarely based on preference and usually based on most economic and practical. Still, I could be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    I'm no expert as I haven't been following this project at all, but maybe it was budget reasons they chose the City of Prague Philharmonic orchestra? Maybe other things didn't suit the schedule? Who knows. All I know is these kinds of decisions are rarely based on preference and usually based on most economic and practical. Still, I could be wrong.

Nah, you're probably right. It's just sort of sad, to see Star Wars going from the LSO to the City of Prague Philharmonic. I mean, who knows? Maybe I'll actually like them this once (trying to be optimistic wink). But from what I know of them, and what I've heard, I definitely don't think this was the best choice for The Clone Wars. Of course, it could be worse...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not a big fan of the Prague orchestra; haven't heard this one yet but i see what people are saying about it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I do remember the 70 piece Prague orchestra recorded the score of the Indian movie Krrish, which also got a rare score release. The sound wasn't as rich as from other orchestras like London Philharmonic, but it was good enough nevertheless IMO. Or maybe it was but was overshadowed by the huge amounts of synths in the score... biggrin