• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Guide-Rec … amp;sr=1-1

This is a good source of information. Since the Mahler recording came out so many years ago your library might have it to listen to for comparision only.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    For your information William the recommended recording for the Mahler 1st symphony is still the 1964 version with the London Symphony Orchestra, Solti conducting. **** recordings are rare from Penguin but this is one.
    Thomas smile

Ah, thanks for the advice. I will check it out. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William, I find it fun sometimes just to compare which is pretty easy to do if your library has it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    Recently I've begun to acquire a taste for the sound of the Northwest Sinfonia (through hearing them on Michael Giacchino's video game scores). Does anyone know anything about them? I'm having a hard time finding much info on them. I suppose it's possible that they're just a background session orchestra, but I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think they changed names recently. Erik knows more I think.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    I think they changed names recently. Erik knows more I think.

Really? Hmmm... confused OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Recently I've begun to acquire a taste for the sound of the Northwest Sinfonia (through hearing them on Michael Giacchino's video game scores). Does anyone know anything about them? I'm having a hard time finding much info on them. I suppose it's possible that they're just a background session orchestra, but I don't know.

They are contracted non-union players from around Seattle (most come from the Seattle Symphony)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

They are contracted non-union players from around Seattle (most come from the Seattle Symphony)

-Erik-

Ah, OK. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    I'm quite pleased by the recent/modern sound of the New York Philharmonic. What an exceptional classical orchestra, and the first to be founded in America! I'm speaking primarily of the new recording of Mahler 9, with Lorin Maazel conducting. While I wasn't much impressed with the '60s recordings I have of the orchestra, this new recording (and others, from what I've heard) is excellent, with a crystal clear sound. The principal trumpet Phil Smith (highly praised as one of the world's best, if not the best) has a gorgeous sound to behold, as does the entire brass section, for that matter. cheesy punk And the rest of the orchestra is similarly in top form. I look forward to getting their other recent recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Is the Seattle Symphony not union? I thought that if you're in the union you couldn't perform non union gigs without a lot of heat from the union. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    Thomas
  1. Depends, really. Union recordings are mostly restricted (I think) to LA recordings. When you can record outside the town, or even country (London is particularly popular here), they choose local orchestras due to smaller costs (imagine that the LSO is cheaper than Hollywood players) and with some scores (those performed by LSO, LPO), what also matters for the score is the prestige of the performers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not sure, it may be a completely different ensemble. I wonder how it connects to the Zimmer ensemble he gets for his London-recorded scores. He picks the best players from all London orchestras, so for example on Gladiator he had Maurice Murphy, LSO's trumpeteer who among others performed on all Star Wars scores.

Yeah, Maurice Murphy was also credited as the main trumpeteer on The Dark Knight. He really is a lucky guy -- performed on all 6 SW movies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, TDK, and a few of the HP movies. (And other movies using the LSO or session players as well.)

And another interesting fact -- Marcia Crayford is probably one of the few London session players to perform on all six HP movies as well. (Isn't she part of both RPO and LSO?)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  2. Isn't she a harpist? She performed for Zimmer as well, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Is the Seattle Symphony not union? I thought that if you're in the union you couldn't perform non union gigs without a lot of heat from the union. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    Thomas

As far as I know the Seattle Symphony is NOT union. But that could have changed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I thought that was one of the main reasons the Seattle Symphony was originally used for film scores. Non-union therefore less costly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Isn't she a harpist? She performed for Zimmer as well, I think.

No, she's a violinist. I checked the LSO roster and she's not part of the orchestra, yet she's credited as a concert mistress for the LSO for Star Wars Episode III.

The Royal Philharmonic doesn't have a name listing for its members, she's supposedly part of that too.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that was one of the main reasons the Seattle Symphony was originally used for film scores. Non-union therefore less costly.

Yep. I think one article about recording scores mentioned that recording in Seattle as opposed to L.A. or London is that the players only charge $65 per hour, as opposed to the former's $90+ per hour (plus residual payments if it's in L.A.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    I know that the SD Symphony is union and I thought, mistakenly, that if you were a member of a US symphony orchestra you had to be in the union in order to play. Apparently this is a local city by city thing.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    Matt C wrote
    Yeah, Maurice Murphy was also credited as the main trumpeteer on The Dark Knight.

Seriously?! shocked Awesome. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Yes, says so in the liner notes. I guess Murphy likes performing in London session orchestras, even after retiring from the LSO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    London Symphony Orchestra is my favorite one.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    William wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Yeah, Maurice Murphy was also credited as the main trumpeteer on The Dark Knight.

Seriously?! shocked Awesome. cheesy

There's trumpets?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LOL Yes there are trumpets in the The Dark Knight score. You can definitely hear them in Harvey Two-Face.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    I really wish the New York Philharmonic would be utilized for film scores. They have by far my favorite brass section.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William wrote
    I really wish the New York Philharmonic would be utilized for film scores. They have by far my favorite brass section.

I guess it is a matter of money and the fact that they're on the east coast.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Very true.
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thomas

As far as I know the Seattle Symphony is NOT union. But that could have changed.

-Erik-

Here's some insight (3 years late) from someone from the NW. SSO is not union, at least not at all like Hollywood. I believe they have a guild that includes other types of orchestras such as ballet and opera, but are not part of the AFM.

I know some of the musicians in the Northwest Sinfonia (including my primary teacher). Though many come from SSO, many also come from nearby, such as the PNB orchestra, Bellevue Philharmonic, and even some from down in Oregon. They charge considerably less than getting a score recorded in Hollywood, which I believe is why so many smaller movies and video games go through them. Lots of video game scores (Gears of War, Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach)...probably also related to the fact that Seattle is a main hub for Microsoft and many of the gaming companies.

Hope that helps. NW Sinfonia does go in my list of favorite orchestras, along with LSO, SSO (since I'm from Seattle, can't help but be kind of biased), Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and Berlin Philharmonic. Though...I'm guessing you guys only wanted those that are commonly used in film scores? Probably LSO. Amazing horn section; awesome balance and clarity. :D

ETA: Just did a hair more research...there is a union: Seattle Symphony and Opera Players' Organization (SSOPO), which is a branch of the International Guild of Symphony, Opera, & Ballet Musicians (IGSOBM), but as far as I know, those who are in the union are not restricted to who they may play with. At least out of personal experience, my teacher, who is the personnel manager for the PNB, as well as principal horn, also works with the Northwest Sinfonia. Logically, my conclusion is that they're allowed to play non-union gigs without too much heat (if any).
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
  4. Does any particular composer still use the Hungarian State Opera Symphony Orchestra (the one that Goldsmith used for Hoosiers/Lionheart/Rambo III/etc)? Besides the small time composers over there of course.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.