• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Silva Screen Records' website has listed a CD release on the 22nd September for music to the BBC show Torchwood. I'm not sure what this is going to be like - from what I remember of the show the music isn't as memorable as Gold's Doctor Who music. Though I do recall that I didn't think much of the Doctor Who music when the programme first started (with the synth-only scores).

I'll certainly be interested to see what this CD will be like.

http://www.silvascreenmusic.com/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Silva Screen Records' website has listed a CD release on the 22nd September for music to the BBC show Torchwood. I'm not sure what this is going to be like - from what I remember of the show the music isn't as memorable as Gold's Doctor Who music. Though I do recall that I didn't think much of the Doctor Who music when the programme first started (with the synth-only scores).

I'll certainly be interested to see what this CD will be like.

http://www.silvascreenmusic.com/

I haven't been overly impressed by the Torchwood scores but who knows, sometimes a CD release can be a stand alone listening revelation?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Agreed!

There are some scenes from the show that could potentially throw up some good cues (the deaths from the final episode for example) but I can't remember any of the music. All I can remember is my sniffing from the emotional rollercoaster.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008 edited
    Outstanding cd!! Trust me on this.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    Trust Moonie Yikes!!! He likes everything.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Trust Moonie Yikes!!! He likes everything.
    Thomas smile

I know what you mean my friend smile but sometimes I feel my rep keep folks from trusting my opinion.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  3. The score from the amazing mini series Torchwood: Children of Earth is available now as a download from your favourite mp3 shop.

There are 77 minutes of brilliant new music in the tradition of the first score.

Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Ordered, but waiting for shipment... slant
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. As far as I know, the CD won´t be available before the 27th. One of many reasons to buy the download version instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too much fuss around it; haven't heard it yet, and i'm interested; any good? how is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Do you know the first one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not familiar at all;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The first one was OK, but I still hugely prefer the work of Foster and Gold on the Doctor Who series.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, and how is it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, not familiar at all;

Then it depends. The first score is more versatile, because it covers stuff from the first 26 episodes, while CoE is five episodes and one story. So this is more like a more coherent movie score. Whether you like it or not depends on your personal taste. I´ve heard people who´ve actually seen TW like the score a lot, while people unfamiliar with the source material shrug shoulders.

The mini-season Children of Earth should be very interesting even for people who have never seen an episode of TW before. It´s just five hours, and most people, TW fans & TW haters, SciFi fans & SciFi haters alike, seem to agree that these are the finest five hours of british television in recent history. Maybe you want to give it a chance. Then you´ll know whether you like the music.

Or, you could listen to these samples:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … mp;sr=8-16
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the links; sounds a bit Adrian Johnston to me at places? It's interesting 'cause i hear a lot of melodies and themes in there although the clips (as usual with clips in general) don't hint anything too spectacular with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    The first score is much more thematic and introduces us to the stuff that´s only hinted at in CoE. If you want it to be spectacular you aint gonna get it. It IS, however, good TV scoring. The mini season is quite dramatic, and Foster manages to put all the tragedy into these 80 minutes and listening to it totally recreates the mood I was in after watching the series.

If you want a really spectacular TV score, you should wait for Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    Prefer the more dramatic stuff smile As for bsg season 4, i am holding my excitement a bit after Caprica.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Don´t. Totally incomparable. Disc 1 should be great enough, but Disc 2, containing the complete score for the final episode, "Daybreak", will send you over the edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to hear! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Prefer the more dramatic stuff smile As for bsg season 4, i am holding my excitement a bit after Caprica.

As Ralph sort of said, incomparable. Caprica is an entirely different show (well, it will be) even though it is set within the same universe. It's more of a teen drama whereas BSG is a serious adult drama/thriller. I can assure you, there are some absolute GEMS in season 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet; i am not watching either shows and this is why i am asking. I am glad.
  6. But you know the Galactica scores for seasons 1-3, I hope?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Totally and in-depth; i love the development up to 3, a very mature modern score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Caprica has only been released as a TV movie so far, a sort of long pilot episode. The first season should start fairly soon.

But I can't recommend BSG enough. Fortunately for you, it's not based around the idea that it's sci-fi, this is NOT Star Trek. It's rather built around the characters themselves and provides an excellent commentary on human nature, very applicable to our own society. It's also a very adult show, and lots of sex. Lots of sex. Lots of sex. (I thought I'd emphasize that point to perhaps persuade you a little more.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Totally and in-depth; i love the development up to 3, a very mature modern score.

Then 4 will make you worship McCreary as the new king of TV scoring.

There will be no talk of Giacchino after that.
  7. Umm, I'm halfway in season 3 and it doesn't have SO much sex lol

I think the pilot features the most of it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah; usually too much sex turns me off, in a cinematic show / movie or tv. I consider it a very cheap attention getting trick; When i want to watch sex, i search it were it belongs. Or even better, participate it in it wink

Is it any similar to CHILDREN OF DUNE, the mini series that Brian Tyler scored? I loved that one.
  8. Steven wrote
    Lots of sex.

Yeah, that too.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Is it any similar to CHILDREN OF DUNE, the mini series that Brian Tyler scored? I loved that one.

If you are not too afraid of spoilers, I can try to find some typical stuff online to give you a hint what to expect.