• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I recall seeign a thread -- maybe it was at the now dead ScoreReviews, where there was a thread with a similar title where members listend classical music that would appeal to score lovers.

Any suggestions? Aside from the obvious ones like Holst (no Horner jokes, please) or the pieces heard in "2001: A Space Odyssey".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    Vaughan Williams...Symphony No. 7

Aaron Copland...The Red Pony

Korngold...Cello Concerto

Shostakovich...Hamlet

Those are four good ones to start with.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've always thought Rimsky-Korsakov's "Procession of the nobles" from "Mlada" has a film music sound to it. It doesn't have that stuck-up, formal sound that much classical music has, but is simply extraordinary and majestic kick-ass music.

It was difficult finding a good performance on utube, this one will do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmPSfKBvvE

It has several melodies with very different moods that sounds like it could come from any number of movies: There's a sound that sounds to me like it's taken from one of Rozsa's scores about the Roman Empire. The rousing highlight reminds me of some epic battle, e.g. "Alexander Nevsky". And perhaps most curious is the melody that starts at 0:48 in the clip that sounds like it's taken from an american western movie from the 1950s.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Another piece that sounds 100% like film music is Rachmaninov's "Isle of the dead":

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXPiqeyFtQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-4jzb3zqg

His symphonic poem is inspired by this painting: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/b/boec … e_dead.jpg

I like how he scores the rowing and the waves, in a style used by film composers when scoring stuff that has to do with the sea. It's interesting how much this music reminds one of quality golden age underscore.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like this thread a lot! Keep 'em coming, i'll be checking out selections when i get back to adsl soon wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    I recall seeign a thread -- maybe it was at the now dead ScoreReviews, where there was a thread with a similar title where members listend classical music that would appeal to score lovers.

Any suggestions? Aside from the obvious ones like Holst (no Horner jokes, please) or the pieces heard in "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Crumbs! I thought this WAS my thread for a moment!? Yeah, it was my thread on the ScoreReviews board that you're thinking of Justin. I'll come back to this one later with some suggestions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Igor Stravinsky's The Firebird Suite has always appealed to me as quite film-score-ish in spots (maybe because it was already used in Fantasia 2000 biggrin), particularly in Finale, with the beautiful, joyous bursts of trumpet, foreshadowed by the soft horn solo. Absolutely beautiful!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Igor Stravinsky's Suite from The Firebird has always appealed to me as quite film-score-ish in spots (maybe because it was already used in Fantasia 2000 biggrin), particularly in Finale, with the beautiful, joyous bursts of trumpet, foreshadowed by the soft horn solo. Absolutely beautiful!

I find that piece to be the most spiritually uplifting finale ever written, glorious beyond words.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Crumbs! I thought this WAS my thread for a moment!? Yeah, it was my thread on the ScoreReviews board that you're thinking of Justin. I'll come back to this one later with some suggestions.

A copyright lawsuit might be a possibility here. I advice you to consult a lawyer.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The four pieces that I suggested are all film scores. Classical material that sounds like a soundtrack opens up a whole new world.

Another one I just thought of is Philip Sainton's work http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/t … p-sainton/

Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

A copyright lawsuit might be a possibility here. I advice you to consult a lawyer.

Peter smile

I'll consider it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.naxos.com/musicinmovies.asp?letter=A

also a link for classical music used in particular movies.
    tom
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I would recommend classical music by composers who also write for films. Some of the more interesting titles are;

-Zbigniew Preisner's Requiem For A Friend, 10 Easy Pieces For Piano
    -Craig Armstrong´s Memory Takes My Hand
    -almost every classical work by Wojciech Kilar (Horn Sonata, Exodus, Orawa, Krzesany etc.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    I would recommend classical music by composers who also write for films. Some of the more interesting titles are;

-Zbigniew Preisner's Requiem For A Friend, 10 Easy Pieces For Piano
    -Craig Armstrong´s Memory Takes My Hand
    -almost every classical work by Wojciech Kilar (Horn Sonata, Exodus, Orawa, Krzesany etc.)

Good call on all of those, particularly ( for me anyway ) the Kilar works which are fantastic and very much akin to his film scores.

And here's two obvious one's....

ALEXANDER NEVSKY CANTATA -Sergei Prokofiev
    SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaugan Williams

Both are sublime works and both are "classical" works adapted from FILM SCORES, 'Alexander Nevsky' and 'Scott of The Antarctic'.

'Nevsky' in particular has been incredibly influential, especially on the career of James Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    If you obtain the Korngold Symphony you'll hear the Adventures of Robin Hood theme.

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    Another Proofiev work that all filmscore lovers should check out is THE SCYTHIAN SUITE

This whole piece plays like some movie about barbarian hordes, spellbinding and brilliant, I highly recommend it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    We should never forget the powerful use of Adagio for Strings in Elephant Man. This Samuel Barber piece should be in your collection.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    sdtom wrote
    We should never forget the powerful use of Adagio for Strings in Elephant Man. This Samuel Barber piece should be in your collection.
    Tom smile

I would say it's one piece that most people do seem to have Tom!?

I've mentioned before how I think the power of this piece has been diluted due to it's over-exposure and I blame Oliver Stone for that, a great piece of music that I once loved dearly rarely , if ever, get's a play from me anymore.
  2. By the way, what are the stylistic differences between Wagner and Strauss?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Which Strauss? There were 3 of them.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Which Strauss? There were 3 of them.

The Final Fantasy liner notes don't say...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    It'll be Richard Strauss not the viennese waltz kings.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    KevinSmith wrote
    By the way, what are the stylistic differences between Wagner and Strauss?

I would suggest giving the complete works of Wagner a listen, then, in 2011 you can start on the complete works of Richard Strauss and come back and tell us yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    There's no relation between the Waltz master and Wagner
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.