• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    No topic for Goodwin yet, so here it is!

I know it´s been mentioned in many NP posts, but which are the best Goodwin recordings / re-recordings / compilations available and which is the best site to buy them?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure I'll be one of a few voices here recommending THE FILM MUSIC OF RON GOODWIN on the CHANDOS label, it's simply BRILLIANT!

You can't go wrong with many of Goodwin's own re-recorded compilations of his own music either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Oh yes, I remember THE FILM MUSIC OF RON GOODWIN has been mentioned many times in the forum. Thanks Tim! I´ll check some webs out to fill a nice Ron Goodwin / John Scott shopping cart smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Oh yes, I remember THE FILM MUSIC OF RON GOODWIN has been mentioned many times in the forum. Thanks Tim! I´ll check some webs out to fill a nice Ron Goodwin / John Scott shopping cart smile

Do it man! punk

It's rare to have an entire album FULL of dramatic, melodic full bloodied excellent theme music. I'm sure there'll be plenty you'll fall in love with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Do it man! punk

It's rare to have an entire album FULL of dramatic, melodic full bloodied excellent theme music. I'm sure there'll be plenty you'll fall in love with.

Sure.
    oh, Film Score Monthly looks like a good place. The catalogue of both composers is really large. I think it´s time to take advantage of euro´s strenght over american dollar!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    If you have the cash then definitely! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    INTRADA Announces:

THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES
    Composed and Conducted by RON GOODWIN
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 161

When Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines was first premiered as a “roadshow” feature in 1965, the album taken from the soundtrack contained less than 30 minutes from a score running close to two hours, with dialog highlights spread throughout the record as filler. It was less an album of the score and more a concept project -- simply a half hour audio souvenir of the movie experience. Adding insult to injury, though issued in both mono and stereo versions, many of the selections appeared in mono only, no matter what their respective jacket covers stated. But the packaging at least offered that great Ronald Searle campaign artwork.

Now some 46 years later, Intrada has completed a complete restoration of the lengthy score that spans two CDs. The energetic score Ron Goodwin provides an expansive musical landscape with a bent towards“national portraits”: motifs that underscore the film’s amusing and unabashed stereotypes. To do so, Goodwin often quotes from familiar sources—opera, anthems, marches, folk songs, pop songs—creating a musical collage of supreme liveliness and wit. There is plenty of mad, elegantly Mickey-Moused chase music on hand, complete with bells, whistles, car horns, and whoopeecushion blats. But here, too, is a soaring, string-led flight anthem; a gorgeous little love theme; and a fetching theme for the Lord’s winsome daughter.

Those Magnificent Men is the saga of a (fictional) 1910 London-to-Paris air race sponsored by a stuffy British newspaper magnate, Lord Rawnsley
    (Robert Morley), with the encouragement of his speed-mad daughter (Sarah Miles) and her flyer-suitor, an upper-crust aristocrat (James Fox). As Rawnsley says, “The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners”—and sure enough, the race (with its £10,000 purse) draws the cream of global aviation, including a villainous English cheat, an easily distracted French lover-boy, an American cowboy, an excitable Italian Count, an inscrutable Japanese, and a couple of pompous, by-the-book Germans.

This release is limited to 2000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 161
    Retail Price: $24.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6927/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    As funds are not in abundance I checked out the clips first (especially as all I remember is the rather insepid main chorus).... and loved them!

The massive, hectic, faux-heroic, offbeat style certainly isn't for everyone, though (I imagine Alan might give tis one a miss wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. You know me too well. I haven't even listened to the clips: the song running around my head is enough to put me off.

I'll listen to Cliffhanger which arrived this morning instead.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited
    SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT

Bypassing Star Trek and picking me up one of these cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    Timmer wrote

Listening to the clips....and HOTDIGGIDYDONG! Mesa wanna one o'dees! shocked punk love cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Listening to the clips....and HOTDIGGIDYDONG! Mesa wanna one o'dees! shocked punk love cool

I've not seen the film or heard the score but the clips totally won me over too, ordered already. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012
    The next time this thread comes to page 1 I'll be hoping it's because ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING has been released on Disney/Intrada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020
    VALHALLA reviewed. In Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/valhalla-ron-goodwin/
    I am extremely serious.