• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    (My apologies to Ravi - the previous game has not been formally ended, but it's been several days since the thread was updated so I assume it's over.)

It’s an Olympic summer, so the theme of this game is sport. All the clips (except one!) come from films with a sporting theme (the sports are not necessarily Olympic sports).

As usual, one point for the composer, one for the film. Unlike most of my games, this one is skewed enormously towards the present day – there aren’t that many older films about sport where I have a score to make a clip from! The 25 clips are in chronological order (except where there’s more than one clip from the same year) – originally I was going to put them in a random order, but this seemed to horrify Alan. There are 17 different composers represented.

The clips are here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/4bfb73

Send answers to me by PM.

The clues:
    1: Not a tricky start. The film’s name is also the name of the sport and the composer is one of the most recognisable there’s ever been.
    2: The most famous sports film of all, and the most famous sports film score. Doing a sport-themed Guess the Score game and not including this would be like doing an Indian-themed Guess the Barefoot Pacifist Who Had a Biopic About Him Directed by Richard Attenborough and not including Gandhi.
    3: A completely unreleased score but a real gem – for a dreadful film.
    4: A legendary director earned a lot of scorn for this highly-peculiar idea – but at least it’s a proper sport.
    5: This isn’t actually a sport film at all, but who could fail to love this fantastic music? I only included it because I couldn’t find one of the scores I was going to include and needed a last-minute replacement!
    6: This must surely be the most rousing individual piece of film music I’ve ever heard. This score has never been released on CD – this clip is taken from a compilation – but I’d be first in the queue if it were.
    7: The director of this film has worked with most of the top composers of the past 25 years. The star of the film tried to get the score thrown out – but the album went on to become one of the biggest-selling film scores of all time.
    8: Great tune, synth cheesiness – who else could it be?
    9: An extremely obscure film, and one with the most peculiar title I’ve come across. Very famous composer, though.
    10: Synths dominate this popular score – but what a theme to end it!
    11: Americans do love making films about this utterly dull sport (which also featured in clip 7 - and 9 - and 10!), but fortunately it has inspired some great film music.
    12: This much-beloved composer had a real, personal connection to the sport being chronicled – and it shows in his gorgeous score.
    13: A silly little film gets a rousing, stirring score from one of the genre’s most famous practitioners.
    14: No clue needed here, surely.
    15: The most growling, angry score ever written for a sports film.
    16: Some much-deserved recognition for a wonderful film composer who rarely gets to score films as serious as this one.
    17: The second time this composer has appeared in this game – but working on this film was a truly miserable experience for him/her.
    18: One of this composer’s less well-known scores, it’s very pleasant – but rather derivative. Cynics would say that’s not atypical.
    19: A highly-acclaimed film which boasted a very moving score which is undoubtedly the finest work of its composer – but I bet few people on this forum have ever said many good things about it.
    20: An unlikely choice for a sports film, but this distinctive composer has been seriously expanding his repertoire in recent years.
    21: Considering this was made by one of Hollywood’s most famous directors and it features one of the world’s most bankable movie stars, it’s amazing how quickly it seemed to disappear from everyone’s consciousness. I don’t think it’s hard to guess what the temp-track was – and the same composer provided another gem here.
    22: A legendary composer was meant to score this one but eventually didn’t, and the guy who stepped in did first-rate work – but sadly his music hasn’t been released.
    23: Most definitely not a film about sport, but a sporting event is at its heart.
    24: An arthouse composer gets animated for the first time.
    25: This composer’s third appearance in this game. A score which nobody talked about at all – perhaps because it’s really barely a score at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Ouch! Many I didn't recognize. Some great selections though.

Peter smile
  1. Indian-themed Guess the Barefoot Pacifist Who Had a Biopic About Him Directed by Richard Attenborough

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Currently in first place...

Bregje - 6 points wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The lead has already changed hands!

Antineutrino - 28 points spin
    LSH - 26 points
    Bregje - 6 points
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The lead has already changed hands!

LSH - 26 points
    Bregje - 6 points

Hey, for one hour Bregje you were Ki.....Queen of the scores! cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Update!

LSH - 26 points
    Thomas Glorieux - 25 points
    Bregje - 8 points

After tonight I will be away for a few days - but please keep the guesses coming!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

Yeah... until I got beaten by an amount of points almost 5 times as much as I had... slant
    And now I have 8 points, I really hope I'm gonna get some more!
    Clips 21 an 23 are the real buggers for me right now.

What makes this game hard is that I hardly know what most films are about. There are familiar movie titles but I never knew they were about sports!

I don't mind being called King of the scores by the way! This reminds me, my hubby asked me what it was like to be the only girl at the meeting or if I was just one of the guys?! Here on the board it feels like being one of the guys most of the time and at the meeting, well, overall I didn't notice I was the only girl and sometimes I did.
    wink
  2. This is a really difficult game for me as I don't really watch sports-related movies - I don't really recognise many of these clips. But if the game for 7, 9, 10 and 11 is the one I think that it is then it's actually quite an exciting game!

I may have to sit on my guesses a bit - and try and build a respectable score - so it may not be tonight that I submit my first set of guesses.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is a really difficult game for me as I don't really watch sports-related movies - I don't really recognise many of these clips. But if the game for 7, 9, 10 and 11 is the one I think that it is then it's actually quite an exciting game!

I may have to sit on my guesses a bit - and try and build a respectable score - so it may not be tonight that I submit my first set of guesses.

Did James give us any clues on Saturday night? I'm trying to remember?? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah... until I got beaten by an amount of points almost 5 times as much as I had... slant
    And now I have 8 points, I really hope I'm gonna get some more!
    Clips 21 an 23 are the real buggers for me right now.

What makes this game hard is that I hardly know what most films are about. There are familiar movie titles but I never knew they were about sports!

I don't mind being called King of the scores by the way! This reminds me, my hubby asked me what it was like to be the only girl at the meeting or if I was just one of the guys?! Here on the board it feels like being one of the guys most of the time and at the meeting, well, overall I didn't notice I was the only girl and sometimes I did.
    wink

You are one of us,

All for one and one for all.......an all dat cheesy beer
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is a really difficult game for me as I don't really watch sports-related movies - I don't really recognise many of these clips. But if the game for 7, 9, 10 and 11 is the one I think that it is then it's actually quite an exciting game!

None that I remember! rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    You are one of us,

All for one and one for all.......an all dat cheesy beer

Thanks! smile

Thanks... slant
    Now I have that Bryan Adams song All for love stuck in my head and I can't stand Bryan Adams voice.

wink

FalkirkBairn wrote:
    Timmer wrote:

None that I remember! rolleyes

All I remember is that he had the game already finished I think, so our suggestions are not included...

Oh, and that there's at least one about golf too. But since that could be expected it's not really helping.

I have the same problem as you Alan, no idea what films are about sport, I can't even figure out the most famous sports film from clip 2! But I'm not the only one. When I ask someone else what is the most famous sports film they don't know either!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Oh, suddenly remembered this game was running. Don't end it yet, James. I'd like to give it a try first.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Update, at last! Sorry for the delay.

LSH - 26 points
    plindboe - 26 points
    FalkirkBairn - 22 points
    Bregje - 8 points
    Bregt - 3 points

Bregje is off the bottom of the table... and it's very tight at the top. I'll leave the game running for a couple of days, since I've been away...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Seems I keep kicking ass over at filmtracks: http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/in … p;expand=1

At Maintitles I'm just an average participant.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    I have an exam on monday, so I won't be sending more guesses.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Anyone else entering?

Here's the latest leaderboard:

LSH - 30 points spin
    Antineutrino - 28 points
    plindboe - 26 points
    FalkirkBairn - 24 points
    Bregje - 8 points
    Bregt - 7 points

Will anyone be able to catch LSH?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The lead gets bigger!

LSH - 32 points cool
    Antineutrino - 28 points
    plindboe - 26 points
    FalkirkBairn - 24 points
    Bregje - 8 points
    Bregt - 7 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Heck, it's been a long time since I gave these games a shot. Will do it today even if that score sheet looks mighty imposing punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Last call for this game... Bhel..? Franz..?

Will close it tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Last call for this game... Bhel..? Franz..?

Will close it tomorrow.

Just started last night and made it half-way thru the clips. I sent you my partial guesses anyway.
    I'll complete the rest tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    LSH - 32 points spin
    Antineutrino - 28 points
    plindboe - 26 points
    BhelPuri - 24 points
    FalkirkBairn - 24 points
    Bregje - 8 points
    Bregt - 7 points

Anyone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Would you believe... a last minute entry sees BhelPuri take the prize.

Not too many entrants this time, which leads me to wonder if people have lost the appetite for these games?

Anyway, here's the final leaderboard:

BhelPuri - 38 points punk
    LSH - 32 points spin
    Antineutrino - 28 points
    plindboe - 26 points
    FalkirkBairn - 24 points
    Bregje - 8 points
    Bregt - 7 points

And the answers...

1: Grand Prix - Maurice Jarre
    2: Rocky - Bill Conti
    3: Players - Jerry Goldsmith
    4: Escape to Victory - Bill Conti
    5: The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue
    6: Champions - Carl Davis
    7: The Natural - Randy Newman
    8: Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith
    9: Amazing Grace and Chuck - Elmer Bernstein
    10: Field of Dreams - James Horner
    11: The Babe - Elmer Bernstein
    12: Wind - Basil Poledouris
    13: Rookie of the Year - Bill Conti
    14: Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith
    15: Cobb - Elliot Goldenthal
    16: The Hurricane - Christopher Young
    17: Seabiscuit - Randy Newman
    18: Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius - James Horner
    19: Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood
    20: Miracle - Mark Isham
    21: Cinderella Man - Thomas Newman
    22: Game of their Lives - William Ross
    23: Munich - John Williams
    24: Surf's Up - Mychael Danna
    25: Leatherheads - Randy Newman

Thanks for playing. (If you did.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bollocks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Bollocks.

Bad luck Lee slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Ah well, this is still the best I've performed in one of these games. I'm quite pleased really. smile

By the way, this was a fun edition. Thanks James! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Ah well, this is still the best I've performed in one of these games. I'm quite pleased really. smile

By the way, this was a fun edition. Thanks James! beer

You'd have beaten me too if I'd played.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would have got 14, so you definitely would have beaten me too! 32 is quite impressive, and I'm surprised you knew that many to be honest!? (Not that I'm accusing of any foul play. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would have gotten 2, so everyone would have beaten me! biggrin
    Let's hear it for yourselves!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn