• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    As much as I'm glad that you're a fellow connoisseur of quality files, I think if you've got a limited hard disc space, then APE or FLAC is over kill particularly if you won't notice the difference between a 320kbps file and a FLAC one - unless you have the ears of Superman and the sound system of God. Though it would be a good idea to invest in a large external HD and backup everything in APE or FLAC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Though it would be a good idea to invest in a large external HD and backup everything in APE or FLAC!

I'm doing that now! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    APE nor FLAC are easily supported, in the sense that I know of no cheaply available converters that will re-convert thos standards back to MP3 (or indeed any other format). It's all juryrigging Winamp and that sort of thing, which I *hate*.
    Unless either standard becomes far more widely accepted, I would advocate simple WAV files.
    Yeah, they're big.
    C'est la vie.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm using jetAudio to convert lossless into MP3 when needed. It does it directly using LAME.
  1. Martijn wrote
    APE nor FLAC are easily supported, in the sense that I know of no cheaply available converters that will re-convert thos standards back to MP3 (or indeed any other format). It's all juryrigging Winamp and that sort of thing, which I *hate*.
    Unless either standard becomes far more widely accepted, I would advocate simple WAV files.
    Yeah, they're big.
    C'est la vie.

Winamp actually has built-in FLAC support now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Altough it doesn't really make a noticable difference I'm using now FLAC instead of mp3 320kbps.

Only my iPod touch can't play them. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote

I know. What I meant was I cannot RE-encode any FLAC files (without significantly annoying effort) to anything else, like MP3s which my iPod can play, as Antineutrino stated.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    More language I can't understand!
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I know. What I meant was I cannot RE-encode any FLAC files (without significantly annoying effort) to anything else, like MP3s which my iPod can play, as Antineutrino stated.

Sure you can. I've done it many times and it's actually very easy to do. Yes, you need Winamp to convert from FLAC to WAV but the process takes only a few minutes to do.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/ho … g-windows/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    I know it can be done.
    Like I said, it can't be done without significantly annoying effort.

I find using Winamp for conversion an absolute pain in the ass, and I'm not jumping for joy with the idea of backing up my 1000+ CDs in FLAC or APE, possibly having to re-encode them back to MP3 through Winamp.
    Unless an affordable conversion program (like Audio Converter) comes on the market that does the same thing with one push on the button, I'm staying well clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I know it can be done.
    Like I said, it can't be done without significantly annoying effort.

I find using Winamp for conversion an absolute pain in the ass, and I'm not jumping for joy with the idea of backing up my 1000+ CDs in FLAC or APE, possibly having to re-encode them back to MP3 through Winamp.
    Unless an affordable conversion program (like Audio Converter) comes on the market that does the same thing with one push on the button, I'm staying well clear.

rolleyes

The Winamp way ISN'T a significantly annoying effort or a pain in the ass. Far from it! Follow the SIMPLE instructions in the link I posted and it's a really easy thing to master.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    As I said, I'm not looking for instructions, I'm looking for a separate, dedicated conversion program that will do the task with ONE push of the button, like Audio Converter.
    Using Winamp I consider to be a significantly annoying effort.
    Anyone who doesn't is of course perfectly free to do so.
    rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I see your point... Yes, it's one or two extra steps but stop your sniveling, wipe away those tears and just use Winamp for now. biggrin It's not THAT bad or annoying.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You big bully!shocked
    Well, I don't WANNA use Winamp (for anything else but playing music)! tongue

It's a moot point anyway: if I'm ever going to re-encode my CDs (say, when I'm retired or so) it's gonna be in editable WAV format, or through disk images. In the meantime my iPod won't even *play* FLAC, so I'm not bothered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fact: winamp does it good , easy, and fast, use it and stop thinking wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for all those discussions about lossless formats and all, i read and giggle a bit; people, stop torturing yourselves.

If you're NOT going to use a proper audio CD (as an original audio cd and not custom made out of your own mp3s or anything) which is ALWAYS the best thing to do and which outdoes everything else, then use proper 320kbps mp3s. Other stuff in-between, huge lossless formats you won't ever be able to really tell the actual difference no matter what you think you can tell, are an absolute waste of time and HDD space.

Except if you like to fool yourselves.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Are we talking Flac to WAV? I always used FLAC Frontend. Drag and drop. Easy as hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.
    MP3/CD to FLAC
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Why in the world would you convert a compressed MP3 to lossless FLAC?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    Why in the world would you convert a compressed MP3 to lossless FLAC?

Ya... i thought I read that wrong the first time but I guess I didn't.

Sup with that, Martijn?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erm...I have no idea, upon re-reading! shocked
    I probably meant WAV!
    shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    Society is based on more is better. Photography is in the same boat. When I taught a basic digital photo class and would show people what you could do with a 2 megapixel file they couldn't believe it. Kodak just introduced some insane 40 megapixel chip!

Spend a little time and money investing in some good speakers and improving your room acoustics.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    I think that the Master of the World release again showed that this market is getting to be more about collecting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I think that the Master of the World release again showed that this market is getting to be more about collecting.

I'll bite...why?

-Erik-
  3. sdtom wrote

for me it means, a 1.000 copies will receive a 30% (at least) buying public that doesn't like film music at all, but wants to sell it later at higher prices.

If you look at Screen Archives now, you'll notice that you can now buy the editions of La-La Land with autographs. These CD's were only sold at La-La Land but considering Screen Archives now also buys used CD's, collectors can buy them instantly from La-La Land and sell them with interest later on

Why else are the autographed versions at Screen Archives a little more expansive? This is a sad story and especially a 1.000 copies will sell out quickly. Hell, even a bag of shit will sell out as quickly as possible
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Depends on whether the bag of shit is autographed of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And properly marketed!

"Get your shit together NOW, before it's flushed out!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

I'll bite...why?

-Erik-

#1... The movie is so interesting that there has never been a DVD release. You either have to be able to still watch VHS or find someone who has the conversion ability to transfer it to DVD.

#2... I once not that long ago knew a person who collected cards and came up with a pretty rare one of David Winfield as a rookie when he played for the Padres. The punch line. He didn't know who D. Winfield was and had to ask me if was any good. For many of the sold copies I think this is the case with this release and rarity is one of the key components and I don't fault Intrada for what there doing in anyway. There goal is sales=dollars=more releases. In my opinion if they had released 3000 they would have stock for a long time, perhaps forever. If you remember I reviewed the material almost two years ago and liked it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    Courtesy of Bregt I just revisited this old score and found a lot of it still appropriate today.
    Tom
  4. sdtom wrote
    Courtesy of Bregt I just revisited this old score and found a lot of it still appropriate today.
    Tom

Wrong topic perhaps Tom?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn