• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    I commented at length at Intrada on this and I am putting the same comment up here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still don't agree with this limited edition policy that is used primarily as a device to sell product quickly. I've seen it with cabbage patch dolls (people were injured in San Diego over this), baseball cards, and Leica cameras (part of my old business). I remember the days early on in photography when people actually took pictures with Leica's. They now sit in humid controlled cases! While I am far from an expert in business I can see this coming back to haunt them. To the collector right now this is a good thing as the prices are rising. To a hobbyist and a listener it is very bad and discourages new people even getting involved at all. The lifeblood of any business is the newcomer and when your product can't even be sold on a site such as Amazon or you have to get up in the middle of the night to get it something will eventually happen.

From what I understand the download is a pay as you go system. If Movie Score Media can offer a 320 download so can others. We can download it, make a CD'R as a backup and print out the booklet. The collector loses but the listener wins and money doesn't have to be given up front for pressing, printing, and fees to the union/musician.

A word of advice and I again am no expert but this is a fragile economy right now and so far you're a success (at least you appear) in a shaky market. Bottom line is that your product is not necessary to survive. If I shop carefully I can eat very well for a week on $30.00. I can go to the library and check out some very nice music and listen to it for free.

My buttons were pushed on this and normally I refuse to react to something out of my control but since I enjoy film music so much I felt the need to at least comment.

Just my opinion

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Of course it's a policy to sell products quickly, lots of people get fooled by these procedures.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said the lifeblood of any hobby is the newcomer which is something that our hobby doesn't promote to as a whole. We're wrapped up in collecting and bragging how smart we are.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No newcomers are going to be getting into older film music any more. The way the more high-profile film music labels are releasing older film music is going to destroy the thing in the end. It's wonderful for them and it's wonderful for people who are around now and in a position to click "buy" the second the releases are announced, but it's a sorry situation for those who are new to film music fandom and who will never have chance to hear any of this great music from the past, or indeed for those who don't have the funds to instantly buy everything, and need instead to plan their purchases more carefully.

I've said before that a pain-free way of partially solving this which wouldn't cost the labels a penny would be to pre-announce these things about two weeks early and impose the one-copy-per-customer limit during that period. Then at least people have a reasonable timeframe in which to consider their purchase, and the label still gets their feeding frenzy from the people who buy for Ebay once that pre-announcement period is over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I went to bed at 1AM last night and got up to work at 7AM this morning - and in that time period Intrada had sold all 1,200 copies of Invaders From Mars. It is just sheer stupidity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, the sad fact is that a lot of people who manically buy this stuff won't even give it more than a single spin at the same time that people who TRULY love and want those scores aren't even near to actually getting a copy. It is really ridiculous on the labels' behalf and some of those stupid collectors, who'll buy anything without really wanting the music on it, are just maniacs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, the sad fact is that a lot of people who manically buy this stuff won't even give it more than a single spin

Which is exactly what I believe has happened with Transformers. I'm sorry, but $100+ for a CD is crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, the sad fact is that a lot of people who manically buy this stuff won't even give it more than a single spin

Which is exactly what I believe has happened with Transformers. I'm sorry, but $100+ for a CD is crazy.

...especially if it's Transformers.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a fun score and I listen to it quite a lot, but it's not exactly a gourmet meal. More like fast food. Which I also eat a lot. shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

...especially if it's Transformers.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a fun score and I listen to it quite a lot, but it's not exactly a gourmet meal. More like fast food. Which I also eat a lot. shame

Ha exactly. There's a high chance I'd listen to this a lot more than a casual listener that liked Arrival To Earth or whatever it was called in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And why does everyone resist the download system except for Erik and a few others. confused

I agree with James 100% and I think he agrees with me. One of the reasons there are so few in our hobby especially with the older releases is the new person is no longer included.

I can remember growing up and having fun with collecting baseball cards. Duplicates went on our spokes of our bicycles. Today because of this collecting craze a piece of cardboard is treated like a piece of art. Makes little sense to me. I want more people to become interested in film music not fewer.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    And why does everyone resist the download system except for Erik and a few others. confused

I take it you mean the download system you pay for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote

Are you asking why so few choose to download music rather than get CDs? confused I usually go with downloading, unless it's a CD I really, really want the booklet and disc for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I'm not a fan of the limited edition cds when there's hardly any time to decide if I really want to get a cd or not. There have been a number of occasions when I'm pressured into buying something (if it's less than 1000 copies) simply on the off-chance that I might like it. Or else I risk missing out when it's sold out and then regret when everyone's discussing how great a score it is.

I would love for the labels to announce the title, give a week's time to decide, and then allow the orders. That would let folks find out if they want to buy it and make arrangements to get it when the orders open.

Southall wrote
    I went to bed at 1AM last night and got up to work at 7AM this morning - and in that time period Intrada had sold all 1,200 copies of Invaders From Mars. It is just sheer stupidity.

James,
    Did you somehow manage to get hold of a copy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote

Southall wrote

James,
    Did you somehow manage to get hold of a copy?

No - I would have liked it, but I'm not all that bothered. I don't generally like synth music so I can live without it. It would have been nice to have had the choice though!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Downloading is the easy way out - whether you pay for it or not.

Where does the fun of "oh wow, I've been searching for this CD for years and I've finally found it!!" go when you can just type the score name into iTunes and get it instantly. rolleyes slant

The best way to get a CD of a stupid limited edition score seems to be asking the composer. Explain that you want it but you can't get it, and they usually send a copy for free. It doesn't always work, but it's a start. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    I do mean the paying route as far as downloading is concerned Steven. With 20,000 Leagues I also downloaded the booklet and made a CD'R and its really like having both. I believe that it is strictly a marketing tool from Intrada and Varese. Yes, I can understand the upfront fees for pressing, musician union fees etc. But a pay as you go download system solves that. Of course there wouldn't be the immediate frenzy to buy buy buy because everyone could have it. In my opinion it just hurts the entire hobby.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote

Where does the fun of "oh wow, I've been searching for this CD for years and I've finally found it!!" go when you can just type the score name into iTunes and get it instantly. rolleyes slant

Remember, though, not all soundtracks are available on iTunes. Every once in a while you won't be able to find one you're looking for. And that's when I turn to CD (unless I just don't want to get an album off iTunes, for some reason or another). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I would readily go for a pay-and-download as long as they offer lossless files to download. That would save a lot of time!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote

Remember, though, not all soundtracks are available on iTunes. Every once in a while you won't be able to find one you're looking for. And that's when I turn to CD (unless I just don't want to get an album off iTunes, for some reason or another). wink

Not on iTunes? Simple:

"*score name* blogspot"

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    The day will come where we won't have a choice
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote

Not on iTunes? Simple:

"*score name* blogspot"

rolleyes

Well, I suppose that would work... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even though I think collecting lossless scores is a complete waste of disk space (whatever a few individuals think they hear, the simple physiological fact is that high-rate lossy formatting isn't audible as "lesser quality" ), I completely agree with Ravi that the only way I would be paying for downloaded scores would be if they were offered in lossless format.

The reason is very simply: I cannot edit or re-format an already lossy format without it becoming more lossy! (A 320 kbps conversion of a 320 kbps track would yield a considerable lower quality than the initial track had).

With mobile music centres becoming more sophisticated, MP3 won'tl remain the standard throughout the ages. I can see a time where mobile music players won't support the MP3 format anymore and around that time - and may it be far in the future- I would like to be able to re-encode my scores without any loss of quality.

The only way I can do that is when my originals are lossless to begin with.
    That's why I will never pay for a lossy format.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A couple of points to Martijn
    1...If I take the file and transfer it to a CD do I lose quality?
    2...I would still take what is available as opposed to nothing.
    3...This limited bs is going to come back and haunt.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

Thomas smile

No, the quality is not lost if you transfer the file to a CD, either burning it onto that CD as a file (meaning the storage capacity is limited by file size) or a music file (meaning the storage capacity is limited by duration).

Let's say you burn a 80 minutes of 320kbps music files onto a CD, but as an audio CD that most players could read. You've now filled up a 700MB CD with about 160MB of data and can no longer fit anymore.

Now, if you were to burn that same 80 minutes but as files to make a data disc (or MP3 disc) rather than an audio disc, you get the exact same quality, but you're still able to fit 540MB more of files on that same disc. The only drawback is this data/MP3 disc will not play in conventional players.

It is better to create an MP3 or data disc than an audio disc. 1) You can't fit nearly as much compressed music on it, and 2) if you re-rip the music from that audio disc, you're going to lessen the quality as you will inevitably be compressing already compressed files. With a data disc, it works exactly like a USB stick and you simply copy the files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

No.
    But you would lose quality if you would rip the CD you made back to MP3.
    MP3 (90% quality loss)
    |
    CD (1-to-1 conversion, no further quality loss: total quality loss: 90%)
    |
    MP3 (90% quality loss. Total quality loss (90% of 90% =) about 82%)

Agreed on both counts. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks for the technical details, Steven.
    Sorry, didn't see you had responded already. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks for info
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bottom line is only create an audio CD if you have to, for example to use in a car that does not have an MP3 reader, and never re-rip music from that CD. If you're making a disc for someone else that plans to rip the music, make a data or MP3 disc so they copy the files rather than rip them. Then, no loss of quality is incurred.

Just imagine every blank CDR as a flat, round USB stick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or a big stack of 1.44 MB floppy disks. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    I suggest ripping into lossless formats like APE and FLAC. They're about 2 times larger than 320 kbps files but have no quality loss at all so you can get an identical copy of the original CD. smile