• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    SOLARIS (CLIFF MARTINEZ)
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - THE GRUDGE / THE GRUDGE 2
    ANGELO BADALAMENTI - DARKWATER
    HANS ZIMMER (and the co) - the ring

Have you heard Eduard Artemeyev's original score for Solaris D ?

I like Martinez score a lot ( exellent chill out music ) but I prefer Artemeyev's. I can't compare the films though as I've only seen the remake.

I have, but i haven't watched the film.

Michael, what are the differences between the original and the "remake"? Why would you recommend the first movie against Soderberg's vision, if you would do that?

I think they're both really fine movies.

When I saw the Soderbergh film in 2002, it was a real highlight of the kind of cinema I was watching. It was great to see a sci-fi film with a very human heart, and i really liked the way it used Soderbergh's favouring of elliptical structure in Out of Sight and The Limey.

When I saw the Tarkovsky film last year, I found myself going back and watching quite a few scenes over and over and over again. It's a different sort of film altogether. It's still a very human kind of sci-fi if you line it up against 2001 (famous for its coldness), but the slow, meditative rhythms, distinctly Russian tone, and hypnotic progression (aided by Artemyev's score immeasurably, which uses a Bach prelude at a critical moment), really impressed this film on me as one of the highlights of all cinema.

So they're both great films. I must be honest, it took me a while to come around to accepting that one was better (and I think the Tarkovsky is the more remarkable overall). That I did so while seeing the Soderbergh film first is slightly telling, I think. Normally someone favours the version that made a first impression on them. (E.g. famous orchestral recordings by different orchestras.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Thanks, you've really sparked my interest on this one now, i'll have to watch it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    I would argue that A Fistful Of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven are way superior to their Japanese counterparts (Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai respectively) in every aspect, and surely as far as the score is concerned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    I would argue that A Fistful Of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven are way superior to their Japanese counterparts (Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai respectively) in every aspect, and surely as far as the score is concerned.

I think that you're right, Martijn. Though Yojimbo does have quite a catchy theme.

I think that it's difficult to do comparisons with music derived from such differing cultures. Both sets of reference points are so far apart that it's difficult to get past these differences to assess the scores. Does anyone know whether, to Eastern ears, scores such as Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai are held in high regard in Japan?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn