• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Have a look at these YouTube videos of some truly stunning (and surreal) robotics:

HRex Robot

BigDog Beta (early Big Dog quadruped robot testing)

Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

RISE Robot

Jesus H. Christ. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Have a look at these YouTube videos of some truly stunning (and surreal) robotics:

HRex Robot

BigDog Beta (early Big Dog quadruped robot testing)

Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

RISE Robot

Jesus H. Christ. shocked

Wow, sweet videos, Steven! Thanks for posting these! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's strange that when watching these videos, we feel a certain sympathy towards the robots, especially when the "Big Dog" gets kicked or stumbles about.

I'm always interested in the morality of things, and advanced A.I. and robotics is like opening up Pandora's box when it comes to morals and ethics. (Star Trek has always explored the topic of morality and ethics in a robotic and technological world, particularly through the character of Data.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    These robotics are funded by DARPA, so if we are to believe Hollywood, I'd invest in a decent underground living space. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    It's strange that when watching these videos, we feel a certain sympathy towards the robots, especially when the "Big Dog" gets kicked or stumbles about.

Yeah, I noticed feeling that, myself. Really interesting.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited

Damn right! biggrin

TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

I certainly didn't feel that way, but the real BigDog video did give me the urge to play Half Life 2 again. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Damn right! biggrin

TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

I certainly didn't feel that way, but the real BigDog video did give me the urge to play Half Life 2 again. wink

Perhaps not sympathy in your case, but surely a certain empathy. You know, sympathy without the caring! And I'm talking about gut reaction, sub-conscious kind of sympathy, not actual remorse for the machine. Even you (wink) must feel that in some way or another when you see it stumbling about like a helpless baby dear?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Only when it's having trouble on a swing. wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Oh by the way, spot the odd one out. It's quite funny. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

That was actually the first video I watched and it started getting me a little freaked out...then the robot started humping the people on the bench... rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

That was actually the first video I watched and it started getting me a little freaked out...then the robot started humping the people on the bench... rolleyes biggrin

lol
  1. Yeah but the real big dog video is actually scary to watch, how the legs move and how they correct themselves when slipping over the ice!! Jeez, incredible.

I like how people fell for it and thought the fake video was actually a true robot, look in the comments: it's hilarious. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited

That is the single most creepiest thing I've seen. I could hardly finish my lunch.

Seriously though, can you imagine running into one of these things in the forest? Fucking hell. shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    I've laugh so much if it just fell apart when that guy kicked it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why does it sound like SHIT? Pretty impressive stuff indeed but one thing was in my mind when i was watching that (creepy enough thank you) video:

KILL
    THE
    MOTHERFUCKER!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Phewwwwww this cheered me up a little bit

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=-DwvFgLIP … re=related

But still.......kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Phewwwwww this cheered me up a little bit

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=-DwvFgLIP … re=related

But still.......kill

It says the video was removed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    BigDog has got to be the coolest robot I've ever seen. I've mailed the video to everyone I know. Thanks for sharing.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I think Skynet has been in the making for years and one day will spring on us.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I will most happily join the rebel groups who will hunt down and kill those motherf*cking ugly iron junks when that time will come!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'll side with BigDog against you puny humans. He'll trample you into the ground.

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All we need is a mechanical crusher, some molten metal and liquid nitrogen and we should be safe.
  2. I'll just cower in shame and let you so called heroes do all the fighting!! Humans against robots is always a tricky combination, have movies thought you nothing???
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    Movies have tought me that if i screw apple-pies as a teenager, i'll get a handload of hot chicks later on as an adult, without doing anything. Just sitting there in my room will bring them jumping on me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    I will most happily join the rebel groups who will hunt down and kill those motherf*cking ugly iron junks when that time will come!

I'm up for the kicking-the-big-ass-robots-in-the-sides platoon! kill