• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    Just for fun, what are some of the most ridiculous, maddening, outrageous, idiotic (and sometimes hilarious) comments you've heard or read regarding film music? As for me...

iTunes user musik_lover, on Night at the Museum:

"Ok where are the lyrics i mean its just composed music what is the music saying?..."

iTunes user grigoreo, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"... three fourths of these songs are just like battle songs that would give people night mares!!!!!..."

iTunes user Write2Life, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"I want two songs, not the score from the soundtrack. I'll have the score when the movie comes out on DVD and in connection with the movie footage, which is the only context in which it makes any sense anyway...."

iTunes user da madster, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"... also did you notice the songs that actually have words in them are "album only" who listens to music with absolutely no words!..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    I have stopped reading what people post on iTunes reviews. It frightens me that people can be so ridiculous, and I'm not judging them because they don't like film music -- I'm legitimately talking about ignorance and lack of intelligence. Same applies to IMDB and YouTube where I no longer read any comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    David wrote
    ... I'm not judging them because they don't like film music -- I'm legitimately talking about ignorance and lack of intelligence.

I agree! I'm still amazed that people are idiotic enough to post reviews of a movie on a soundtrack page on iTunes! rolleyes And, I also find it funny that the people with the worst grammar tend to be the ones who give scores bad reviews for almost no reason other than, 'No one listens to that kind of stuff.'
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Not concerning music, but I read a review for Wall-E the other day, which I personally enjoyed, that said '... talking of bad films, I saw Wall-E the other day, it was terrible! There were no words for the first 30 minutes of the film, I thought I was going to die!'.

It annoys me that people can't appreciate a different style of film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    John wrote
    Not concerning music, but I read a review for Wall-E the other day, which I personally enjoyed, that said '... talking of bad films, I saw Wall-E the other day, it was terrible! There were no words for the first 30 minutes of the film, I thought I was going to die!'.

It annoys me that people can't appreciate a different style of film.

It annoys me too. I find it funny that, with the absence of words, whether in music or film or anything, most people suddenly either lose interest, say it doesn't make sense (why must everything be told orally or by written word, in the first place?!), etc. It bugs me that most of these people happen to be the ones who are into all the 'cool' stuff, and bugs me even more that these people immediately discard film music as just "background music," which to them supposedly makes no sense whatsoever. Um, people, try listening to it for once, before making these ridiculous statements! rolleyes dizzy vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Life is too short to read brain dead comments by cretins.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote

For you, maybe. tongue But I'm a lot younger than you, and I've got the time. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

For you, maybe. tongue But I'm a lot younger than you, and I've got the time. wink

Don't let me stop you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

Don't let me stop you.

Don't worry, I won't. biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    For Mission Impossible 3 (which is album only on iTunes):

"ALBUM ONLY THATS CRAP. ALBUM ONLY FOR BAD SONGS! OMG"

Bloody nutter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    For Mission Impossible 3 (which is album only on iTunes):

"ALBUM ONLY THATS CRAP. ALBUM ONLY FOR BAD SONGS! OMG"

Bloody nutter.

Ha! LOL biggrin People really seem to hate iTunes' album marketing. Not that I don't sympathize... I mean, it must stink to be wanting and waiting for something, only to discover you have to spend extra money when you really only want that one song or track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    I have stopped reading what people post on iTunes reviews. It frightens me that people can be so ridiculous, and I'm not judging them because they don't like film music -- I'm legitimately talking about ignorance and lack of intelligence. Same applies to IMDB and YouTube where I no longer read any comments.

and amazon.com
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't agree more with you mate! punk

Stop reading crap people! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    and amazon.com

Oh, you're wrong, you're wrong.

I seriously spent hours perusing the comments on this marvellous item.
    Most entertaining couple of hours I've spent in a looooong time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    David wrote

and amazon.com

What's wrong with Amazon.com? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The fact that seemingly 98 of every 100 people reviewing soundtracks can't tell the bloody difference by pop-filled "music inspired by" CDs and actual score compositions.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Martijn wrote
    I seriously spent hours perusing the comments on this marvellous item.
    Most entertaining couple of hours I've spent in a looooong time.

What, all 1,037 of them!? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Can't vouch for that...but a couple of hundred easy!
    Not sure how much I was able to take in before they had to bring in the man in white to peel me off the floor where I was writhing in the agony and ecstacy of hysterical laughter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Can't vouch for that...but a couple of hundred easy!
    Not sure how much I was able to take in before they had to bring in the man in white to peel me off the floor where I was writhing in the agony and ecstacy of hysterical laughter.

Tony Montero peeled you of the floor!? shocked ... cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    iTunes user musik_lover, on Night at the Museum:

"Ok where are the lyrics i mean its just composed music what is the music saying?..."

iTunes user grigoreo, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"... three fourths of these songs are just like battle songs that would give people night mares!!!!!..."

iTunes user Write2Life, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"I want two songs, not the score from the soundtrack. I'll have the score when the movie comes out on DVD and in connection with the movie footage, which is the only context in which it makes any sense anyway...."

iTunes user da madster, on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian:

"... also did you notice the songs that actually have words in them are "album only" who listens to music with absolutely no words!..."

vomitvomitvomitvomitvomit

Same stories at Amazon.com too. I know everyone is free to express their opinions, but comments like these just get on my nerves, maybe because I'm already physically living in an environment where everyone thinks I'm weird because of being a "background score lover" angry Just because they don't like an area of music doesn't mean it's crap!! That's why I read reviews of scores at sites like here and some others like moviemusic and soundtracknet which give *proper* score reviews.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    Just because they don't like an area of music doesn't mean it's crap!!

Ha, exactly! One of my mates keeps telling me I don't listen to "music", yet on his MP3 player there's Star Wars, Dirty Harry etc...

...come on. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pfff...morons; lots of them, thank God.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    John wrote
    Not concerning music, but I read a review for Wall-E the other day, which I personally enjoyed, that said '... talking of bad films, I saw Wall-E the other day, it was terrible! There were no words for the first 30 minutes of the film, I thought I was going to die!'

This is an illustration of a very common phenomena in society today: fear of silence. You see it everywhere. Lack of words in music is a variation on the same theme, where the absence of lyrics seem to make some people uncomfortable - there is nothing to hold on to for them. Similarly, in the majority of commercial films today, there is no silence - music all the time, sound effects, dialogue. Of course, wall-e is going to provoke modern age people who get desorientated when there are no words, sounds (or lyrics) to hold on to.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    John wrote
    Not concerning music, but I read a review for Wall-E the other day, which I personally enjoyed, that said '... talking of bad films, I saw Wall-E the other day, it was terrible! There were no words for the first 30 minutes of the film, I thought I was going to die!'

This is an illustration of a very common phenomena in society today: fear of silence. You see it everywhere. Lack of words in music is a variation on the same theme, where the absence of lyrics seem to make some people uncomfortable - there is nothing to hold on to for them. Similarly, in the majority of commercial films today, there is no silence - music all the time, sound effects, dialogue. Of course, wall-e is going to provoke modern age people who get desorientated when there are no words, sounds (or lyrics) to hold on to.

mc

A very good point indeed;

In an age of constant, cheap, fast and loud rubbish noise in everything from our urban surroundings, our living environments, our (cheap) music, noise in the streets, loud meaningless people who shout nonsense, younger generations are now used to get lost, hidden and covered behind the cloud of non-stop noise.

Silence, refinery, slow and metered build-up to quality, actual evaluation and choice of means (audio, video, words, everything) and self-restraint can do nothing but cause fear to a generation who wants it ALL, NOW, LOUD, without waiting and no matter the quality.

Ring any parallel rings?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I agree things seems to get louder and faster, but I think it's also just an age thing. Young people (puberty and adolescence) or contstantly 'on', either talking, playing music, being in touch no matter how. It's not just these modern times it's also a phase of life I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I disagree, not all kids in all times were the same. I think kids some years back before the damn cell phones, internet, fast-food cinema culture and hideous music, in a time where they actually sat down and talked to each other or went out in the streets, away from the damn playstations and actually run and played with each other, where far better in many aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yes, the circumstances and media are different, but their needs are basically the same I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    a time where they actually sat down and talked to each other or went out in the streets

You realize you're saying EXACTLY the same thing parents were saying in the seventies about TV?
    Or in the fifties about comics?
    Bregje is quite right: though modern times and (in) conveniences certainly account for some, mostly it's a case again of plus ça change, plus ça reste la même chose. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have no problems wit silences. Even when in a group, and there's a sudden silence, I will seldom panic and try to force a conversation.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I on the other hand will need medication!

No, seriously, it completely depends on the type of silence.
    I have an -some would say unusually- high silence tolerance (I love walking through the woods, saying nothing for hours), but when I notice that the silence is a pregnant one, born (see how I double flip the metaphore here? And that on only three hours sleep.) from embarassment or social discomfort, I will certainly try and help get people eased into a conversation, or to divert the attention.