• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    beer kiss biggrin

My compilation of friendship quotes I got from my friends and also sent them -

"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
    - Charles Caleb Colton

"A friend is one who walks in when others walk out"
    -Walter Winchell

"A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere else."
    - Len Wein

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself."

"I'd like to be the sort of friend that you have been to me. I'd like to be the help that you've been always glad to be; I'd like to mean as much to you each minute of the day, as you have meant, old friend of mine, to me along the way."
    - Edgar A. Guest

Keep your eyes upon me, keep me in your sight, Help me don the crooked road, lead me to the light. The road I'm on is dark, I'm not sure if I know the way, Yet with you right beside me, I'm certain I won't stray. Protect me from the world, I know we'll make it through, Give me all the strength I need..... Let me lean on you."
    - Megan Stroup

Thanks all of you for being so great friends! Have a great Friendship Day!! beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That's nice Ravi! cheesy
    To be honest I had never heard of Friendship Day before so I just read something about it and it seems it is mostly celebrated in India now although it started in the US, is that right? Most links go to Indian websites anyway. I'm curious, how do you celebrate? Send cards? What else? I saw pictures of cakes and flowers as well...!
    smile

(By the way, lately there seems to be this trend to have a Day for this and Week for that, I don't know how about other countries but in the Netherlands it can be crazy sometimes. Of course people want to get attention for things that are important to them but if every day or week we have to be reminded of something, then the result is the exact opposite unfortunelately...)

But there can never be enough attention for friendship and it's a beautiful thing to celebrate and be reminded of! So this one's for you all, to friendship and to internet friendship in particular!

Thank you! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregje wrote
    To be honest I had never heard of Friendship Day before so I just read something about it and it seems it is mostly celebrated in India now although it started in the US, is that right? Most links go to Indian websites anyway. I'm curious, how do you celebrate? Send cards? What else? I saw pictures of cakes and flowers as well...!

Yeah! We send cards to each other and also gifts sometimes. I'm going to spend the evening with my friends watching a movie I think.

Thanks, Bregje, and have a great day! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    This could be a nice topic to discuss friendship!

Who do you consider friends, who family and who just people you know? How often do you see your friends?

I sometimes miss the kind of friendship I had when I was still in school, both primary and secundary. Having close friends, talking together, doing fun stuff together, it's not like that anymore. Now my partner, mother and sister are my best friends. I do have a bunch of friends but sometimes we do not meet very often and it's not the kind of friends I call spontaneously when feeling good or bad or whatever. It probably has to do with age and different life phases but also because I became more a closed person I think?

How about you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm blessed with a small but solid number of friends whom I can call on any occasion, at any time.
    Not every one of them will react the same to any situation, but I have the luxury of choice.
    An I am extremely grateful for hat.

And that's my Real-Time friends.

Even though I am very weary indeed to employ the same epiteth to people I have never (or very rarely) met face to face, but are only represented by pixels against an electronically carged screen, I can't deny the fact that over the years, there have been people on-line too whom I have shared much joy and sorrow with, and whom I would indeed trust with some of my darkest secrets, private pains and exuberant joys.

Some of these very people are here, on this board (you know who you are smile ).

If the word "friend" is not applicable to such people, I don't know what is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Small but solid number of REAL, GOOD friends i think it's the matter with all adults, despite country of origin, religion etc. Some of those people i consider as such are in this board as well for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with Martijn's sentiments about online folk and friends. Perhaps technically it's just words on an electronic screen, but there's a lot more to it than that.

It's an odd thing really, but a wonderfully odd one at that.

As for my "real life" friends, I count myself very lucky. I have a few a really great friends, and two really close friends, my flatmates. We get on so well, share many tastes (particularly in music) and nobody makes me laugh quite as much as these guys do!

Oh, not that this has anything do with this thread, but we're getting kittens in four weeks when we move into our flat in Pompey. We're calling them Biggs and Wedge! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yey! LOLCATS!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That's great Steven! smile
    But if your flatmates are your best friends does that mean you met them only a year ago, when you went to uni?

See, those are times when it seems much easier to make friends, because you share a flat for instance...

Oh and about online friendship, some people still don't understand. My family had no clue what I was going to do in Bristol. They wondered why I was going all the way over there for a BBQ...
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, we were in living in the same halls last year. Seriously, looking back, I've never had friends half as good as I have at uni. I really don't stay in contact with anyone from "before uni", for various reasons. And I'm glad of it!

Expect pictures of teh lolcats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Oh, not that this has anything do with this thread, but we're getting kittens in four weeks when we move into our flat in Pompey. We're calling them Biggs and Wedge! biggrin

That's BRILLIANT, mate! punk

We expect photos and indeed custom LOLcats!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

That's BRILLIANT, mate! punk

No, that's brilliant! biggrin biggrin

We expect photos and indeed custom LOLcats!

I uploaded a picture of the litter in my profile page, the grey/blue one is Biggs, the one making out with his sibling is Wedge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Oohhh! Cute. cheesy

I have a black & white one like that as well. His name is Tombi and he's 12 years old.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not much to add except that I have a close circle of real time friends and many good fiends here too smile beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008 edited
    I have more than 400 "friends" at facebook, but obviously, many of these are mere acquaintances. Plus...there are also many who haven't registered with the popular site yet. So that number isn't really representative.

As I am a very outgoing person that attend a lot of parties and events and such, I have different circles of friends. I've got the old childhood friends, new (and younger) friends, colleagues, friends from the student days etc. The only downside is that many of my old friends (and even newfound, younger ones) are passing my own social status - they've gotten married (with children). Quite natural, I guess, since I'm 30 years old. But it's a bit unfortunate, because what I lose in "human contact" as a single person with no kids, I have to make up with lots of friends, and it's obviously difficult for them to prioritze me over their family. I'm sure there are many here who are in the same boat.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Not much to add except that I have a close circle of real time friends and many good fiends here too smile beer

Many good FIENDS!? LOL! Yeah, I'm sure you do. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Many good FIENDS!? LOL! Yeah, I'm sure you do. biggrin

shame

What's a consonant between fiends! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I can't say that i really have a whole lot of 'friends'. I have 106 on Facebook but I don't think that I even really talk with even close to half of them anymore. I probably spend more time on the computer that I could be doing socializing.

its really weird--when I'm around people, I'd rather be alone, yet when I'm alone I often rather wish I was with others. Guess I just can't decide what I want. :D
  1. Oh, that's hard. I have a lot of friends online. I must say. I don't socialize with all my friends on Facebook (over 70), purely because they don't often appear on their chat. I was recently given a very important heads-up by a complete stranger and starting to befriend her, still wondering how she found me.

I have friends online and offline. I cherish both types the same, maybe because my offline friends are often foreigners (to me). I am proud to have friends from India, USA, Serbia, Netherlands and other countries smile.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website