• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    Well, not just for cocktail, obviously, but everything connected to alcoholic beverages. Grand cru champagnes, beer mixes, plonk, buckets of port, summery cocktail mixes and our wonderous experiences with them (the aforementioned bucket comes to mind again in another capacity) ...it's all to be discussed here!
    Or indeed even non-alcoholic beverages!
    Coffee, tea.
    Looza Ace.

Bregje kickstarted the idea with her post here, quoted here in full to start things off:
    Bregje wrote
    I'm trying home-mixed Desperados. When I find the right recipe I'll let you know, especially for UK people who can't buy Desperados. I tried with 7-up now but I don't like that stuff so it tastes too sweet for me.

I know we had a beer & wine topic on SR, do we have it now on MainTitles?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    That's going to be tough: Desperadoes (my FAVOURITE beer-drink! lick ) does not actually contain tequila, but artifical tequila flavouring. I would imagine that it's those chemicals that render it rather sweet as well.

I noticed Desperado is a German product!
    But there's hope on the horizon for our British friends:
    UK: Tiger Beer to distribute Desperado
    Category: Sales

The UK office of Tiger Beer is taking over the UK distribution for the Heineken-owned, cult tequila beer brand Desperados.

Tiger Beer UK is wholly-owned by Asia Pacific Breweries (APB), the owner of the Tiger brand, and APB is part-owned by Heineken.

Tiger Beer UK was formed in 2005 after the closure of its previous agency distributor Ubevco which had also handled Pilsner Urquell, Sol and Castle lagers. (bmg)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, Bregje.
    shocked
    Did you see this:
    http://www.drinkspub.com/Beer-Ale-drink … drink.html
    shocked
    shocked

lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The reason I wanted to mix it myself is because the bottled Desperados is just tequila flavoured, so... it's just aroma. I don't like beer that is artificially flavoured with aroma, like rosé beer, ugh...

I tried:
    1/4 tequila
    1/4 7-up
    1/2 lager
    lemon

Too sweet. I'm going to experiment with the lemonade a bit, hopefully find something most natural as possible like Bar-Le-Duc Lemon (spring water with natural lemon juice). Maybe only lager with tequila and a lemon in it is the best?

beer

Hey, and Alan bought me a Tiger Beer! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Bregje, did you see the link I posted?
    It is the recipe for Desperado!!!
    It's very easy indeed: you need to make some lime-ade (basically lemonade, but with limes rather than lemons).
    Add a quarter pin of lime-ade, a quarter pin of tequila and a half a pint of beer.
    Voila!

I'm so gonna try this myself!
    punk lick punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Aha! Bregje told me about Desperdos, I hadn't heard of it until a week before the MT meting. It was quite delicious indeed. Much better than beer or tequila on their own.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And now I understand what a Desperados is wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje, did you see the link I posted?

Yes I did. smile
    I found the recipe too, but how do you make lime-ade? I really want to try to make something pure and not just flavours or sugars.

I used Jupiler lager. I have a large glass here that is about 400 ml, so one bottle of Jupiler with 1/4 tequila and 1/4 something 'limey' (hehe!) fits exactly.

Right now I'm trying one with Corona instead of Jupiler, for a more Mexican experience... wink

Too bad the real Desperados is just flavoured. The good thing is the bottle looks so nice.

Cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Limeade:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Limeade/Detail.aspx
    * 3 limes
    * 2/3 cup white sugar
    * 2 quarts cold water
    (or adapt to taste)

If you're really dead set against using sugar, it's gonna be a bit rough, given that Desperadoes have a rather notably sweet aftertaste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep, it's a toughie...
    There are no recipes matching that specific search. You searched for "sugar-free limeade" in the TITLE of the recipe.

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hehe!
    Sorry, I don't have anything against sugar at all, I should have said sweeteners. smile
    Sugar is OK if it's really sugar and not crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Let me know how your experiments progress! I am most curious as to the results!
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    I am most curious as to the results!

christmas_drunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin Yes, I sort of guessed that!
    How many "test" mugs did you go through already?
    biggrin

Me, in the spirit of summer, I'm on to making smoothies, re-inventing every possible combination of fresh fruits to create wonderfully, healthy vitamin bombs.
    And then adding to the mix copious amounts of bacardi lemon, cachaça and remy martin for good measure and taste.
    Santé
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Although I do enjoy the odd cocktail mix when out and about with friends as they do provide great entertainment when you're not too sure what you're drinking, gimme a nice frosty Carlsberg any day! lick

Can I interest you in one, Martijn? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Beer. vomit

Coctails. fireworks
    I mean :woohoo:
    I mean :sex:
    Shit. Nothing works 'round here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Although I do enjoy the odd cocktail mix when out and about with friends as they do provide great entertainment when you're not too sure what you're drinking, gimme a nice frosty Carlsberg any day! lick

Can I interest you in one, Martijn? wink

Frosty Carlsberg lick beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    excellent topic! Bring 'em in! punk beer

Oh and bring the local food / drink poison emergency number; just in case.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I think my flu came through after the Desperados I had two nights ago. Now, it could not be related at all of course but it made me think of something else.

I heard from some people once that warm (!) 7-up with extra sugar and lemon helps when you have the flu. It should make you sweat like hell and clear the airways, nose and head and everything. Anyone knows if it's true?

I did have the sniffles after that drink though and it had 7-up and lemon, hehe...

More home made curing drinks you can recommend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    GROG!

A warm mix of lemon juice and rhum and just a bit of cane sugar (forget the 7 UP vomit ).
    Works bloody MIRACLES in curing cold sores and headaches!

Hey, how did the Desperadoes experiments go, though?
    Did you find the Magic Mix?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting tip; What's cane sugar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erm. Sugar. From sugar canes.
    I have NO idea how to explain that more clearly. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Glucose is broken down by insulin produced by the pancreas to produce energy for cell respiration. [/Homer's patronizing voice]

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So; sugar. Why say cane sugar? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Because it's sugar from canes!!! From sugarcanes!
    Sugar from sugarcanes is called cane sugar!
    It's a different type of sugar than your white sugar.
    It's sugar from CANES, you see. Which is different because it comes from CANES. SUGARCANES.
    CANE SUGAR!
    SUGAR!

God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    I did not do experiments like... make small different Desperados and try them one after another!
    I had just one each night. All the same recipe so far. So when I'm feeling better I'll move on to recipe nr. two. I'm taking my time...
    wink

I don't have rhum or cane sugar. Oh well, I'll just go to sleep early after a steam inhalation. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But I'm IMPATIENT!
    I wanna know NOW!!

Oh well. I'll just have to make my own. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And when I saw the title of this I thought it was about the old cocktail music confused
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    And when I saw the title of this I thought it was about the old cocktail music confused
    Thomas smile

I think you might be onto a business venture there!

"The Cocktail Corner" bar that plays cocktail music (whatever that is) and serves cocktails.
    I love it.