• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Oh, and ever since I saw someone wearing this t-shirt, I can't help but read the thread title as the same thing. slant
  1. Martijn wrote
    Me, I'm waiting for a 1TB mp3 player.
    164 GB simply is way too small. sad

Size is important for me too!

In an ideal world I'd like to have all my music on a portable player. If only there was a screen interface I could add to my external hard drive!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, that's not a bad idea. All this interface would need is a USB port, an audio out and some media software to play the music. Have a slot for the hard drive, et voilà you have a portable music player that's also very easy to upgrade.

Come to think of it, is there a product like that anywhere??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Portable?
    No.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good. I'm gonna steal the idea and make a shit load of money.

I'll try to remember you when I'm rich.
  2. I'm wondering if this has already been covered here?

But £470 for a 500GB version seems a bit expensive when a 500GB external hard drive is so cheap compared to this.

Getting back to the 160GB iPod Classic...now that the new generation of iPods have been announced but without any upgrade to the Classic, I've been reading that there's the chance that Apple are phasing out the Classic. Maybe now is the time to buy? £175 from Amazon seems to be the current price.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Where have you been reading that, Alan? confused
    As far as I know the Classic is going VERY strong indeed, with the replacement 120 GB version having been phased out already to accomodate the older 160 GB one!

The only reason I can imagine for Apple to not upgrade the Classic at this point is that their previous "upgrade" (i.e. the 120 GB one) failed miserably, and that unless they can squeeze in MORE disk space rather than less, they decided to leave well enough alone.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. It was just an opinion from a "tech commentator" based on the lack of any news on an updated iPod Classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    Ahhh, I see.
    No reason for panic just yet, then. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011
    Question for Erik or anyone familiar:

is the "convert to 128kbps aac" option in itunes of any use if you're going to listen on ipod via conventional medium prized in-ear (plug) headphones? Is there noticable decrease of quality for this kind of playback or is it generally un-noticable?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Sorry I can't help here.

But your post reminds me that I am not a complete iTunes/iPod adopter. The 4-5 albums I have bought from iTunes I have converted to 320kbps mp3 files. Sounds okay to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Question for Erik or anyone familiar:

is the "convert to 128kbps aac" option in itunes of any use if you're going to listen on ipod via conventional medium prized in-ear (plug) headphones? Is there noticable decrease of quality for this kind of playback or is it generally un-noticable?

You should always go for the highest quality encode and/or never transcode from another lossy source. The lowest encoding rate that you want to go with is 192k aac. 192acc sound fine and takes Superman ears to hear the difference between that and CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Or Justin Boggan.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boog you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    Aaaargh. Finally got round to updating my iPod to IOS 5.0.1 and it seems to have killed the damn thing. After six hours of it saying "Syncing artwork" (after installing the update) I cancelled the sync... since when it hasn't worked at all. I've restored the iPod on itself, also through iTunes (which very conveniently also deleted all my music off it)... and it still doesn't work. Most recent error is "Cannot find the pairing file", which I can make go away by restoring the software (yet again), after which it will attempt to sync and fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't seem to find any info on this issue but pairing issues usually have something to do with Wi-Fi. Anyway, have you tried restarting your computer as well?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't think of the Wi-Fi thing - I'll try turning that off. I did try restarting my computer. The latest "restoration" has deleted everything off it again. Aaaargh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    iTunes is up-to-date? 10.5.1 is the most recent version?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    It is. It finally decided to work after about the fifth restore! Very odd (+annoying).
  6. A question.

What happens to the iPod when the battery runs out of power?

A couple of times my iPod had stopped (both times between tracks - I am assuming at a time of heightened power consumption) and only shows the time on the screen. Everything seems to be okay after I have charged the machine back up.

The reason I am asking such a simple question is that I didn't think that the battery was so low. Maybe the battery indicator is not as accurate as I expect or maybe I have not switched it off correctly and it has been sat in a drawer either playing or just on standby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Hmmmm...the 160 GB version too, yeah?
    I've had that...it's actually the hard drive...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote

Is it on it's way out?

It didn't seem to take too long to charge up so it looks like it wasn't a flat battery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A question.

What happens to the iPod when the battery runs out of power?

A couple of times my iPod had stopped (both times between tracks - I am assuming at a time of heightened power consumption) and only shows the time on the screen. Everything seems to be okay after I have charged the machine back up.

The reason I am asking such a simple question is that I didn't think that the battery was so low. Maybe the battery indicator is not as accurate as I expect or maybe I have not switched it off correctly and it has been sat in a drawer either playing or just on standby.

All the happens the battery runs out. Plug it into your computer or a power adaptor and charge it up. However, try not to let this happen too many times. Depleting your battery's power time and time again is not good for the battery. Always plug it in and power it up. Try to keep it as close to 100% as possible.

And if your battery eventually dies and can't be charged again you can get a replacement battery or send it back to Apple and they will insert one for you... for a price of course.

BTW, it doesn't take long for iPod's to recharge.

-Erik-
  7. Cheers Erik. This is only the second time it has happened. I am always adding to it so am always topping the battery up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Is it on it's way out?

It didn't seem to take too long to charge up so it looks like it wasn't a flat battery.

Hope Erik is right.
    Check whether you get "odd stops" while listening continuously. That's a surefire tell-tale sign.

If charging it got rid of the problem altogether, so much the better.
    Oh, and absolutely: don't drain the battery. For reasons I never understood (probably due to my severely deficient insights into chemistry) draining it fully and then recharging it is actually hell on the battery. Erik is quite right: keep the charge "topped up" as best you can.
  8. The two time that it has happened when I plugged it into the computer to charge, it linked to iTunes no problem, charged fully and worked fine after that.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

(If things do go pear-shaped I assume that I can sync with iTunes and move all the tracks on to a new iPod?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Yep! No problem. Done that myself a few times.
  9. Reading round the subject I think that one of the potential problems is that I have never really fathomed what the 'HOLD' button was for. Apparently it can be used to disable the controls so that it prevents accidentally activating the functions of the click-wheel. Perhaps I have switched on my iPod when carrying the device and this has led to running down the battery to flatness.