• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Hey I have a few questions about the ipod classic, I have a 80 gig and I love it, but Im wondering , can you leave it connected to your computer , like all day , I get conflicting remarks on the net, some say no, some say it doesnt matter, some say it runs down the hard drive.
    Some say use a external power cord to charge it, and so on.

thanks

any info would help , the online book is for stronger minds than mine.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Had mine for three years now. I always use the PC to charge it and I've never used an external power cord whatsoever. So far no probs.

It might be a good idea to eject the iPod using iTunes (NOT Windows) if you only want to charge it. That way neither the operating system nor iTunes would do stuff with the device's hard drive and yet it carries on with charging. If you use the "safely remove hardware" option from Windows however, it will completely remove the device's access to the PC hence no charging.

Hope this helps. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Thanks I will also listen to whats on the ipod while its on the dock connected to the computer and I dont see why that would cause problems either.
    My thoughts too.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Since I've purchased my new iPod Classic (160 GB...wayyyyyy to small for what I want too put on it...but hey, what can you do? wink Incidentally, I can't help but smile at the odd contradiction in terms Apple Marketing has employed here: a "new" "classic" biggrin ) I have had no issues leaving it connected to my PC, OR charging it with a special adapter.

To my mind it's all good.

Erik and Steven are the proper Mac users on the forum, though, so you may want to wait for their input.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Leaving the iPod connect to your computer for long periods of time is not a problem. However, when I owned a 3rd Gen model I use to play music from the iPod through iTunes using a firewire cable and for some reason the iPod over heated. Since then I have NEVER played the iPod through the computer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Just wondering , and thanks, I connect it to the computer to download on it and think hey why cant I just play it while its on the computer, no problems with over heating or anything yet.

thanks for all the help.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Martijn wrote
    Since I've purchased my new iPod Classic (160 GB...wayyyyyy to small for what I want too put on it...but hey, what can you do? wink Incidentally, I can't help but smile at the odd contradiction in terms Apple Marketing has employed here: a "new" "classic" biggrin ) I have had no issues leaving it connected to my PC, OR charging it with a special adapter.

To my mind it's all good.

Erik and Steven are the proper Mac users on the forum, though, so you may want to wait for their input.

btw hows your 160 doing? I seem to have read some having problems with them. But It could be what I have heard too, the most that have problems with them dont read how to use them properly.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Just wondering , and thanks, I connect it to the computer to download on it and think hey why cant I just play it while its on the computer, no problems with over heating or anything yet.

thanks for all the help.

Why don't you just play your MP3's through iTunes from your computers hard drive. You'll save the wear and tear on your iPod by doing so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    I've had my 2nd Gen iPod Nano for about 2 years now (awesome little thing, best iPod ever made) and I've always charged it via my laptop. It's still going strong today with impressive battery life!

Though I'm not too sure whether leaving it plugged into a computer all day will ruin it? I have left it connected to my laptop for long periods of time on a few occasions and I haven't come across any problems, so I'm guessing it should be okay to do that with yours. Saying that, the Nano is a flash drive and not a spinning disc drive like your 80GB iPod. This is why they're prone to over-heating.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

thanks for all the help.

Why don't you just play your MP3's through iTunes from your computers hard drive. You'll save the wear and tear on your iPod by doing so.

-Erik-

I do as well but while playing on itunes, if I do other things on the computer , the songs will sometimes skip.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

thanks for all the help.

-Erik-

I do as well but while playing on itunes, if I do other things on the computer , the songs will sometimes skip.

Why don't you save your library onto a separate HDD? I have a 320GB portable HDD dedicated to this duty. I can take it to work and access my iTunes content here.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    On older models it wore down the battery life (yup), but I leave mine plugged into the mains all day and only use it in the evenings with no problems at all.

And there's a 160GB model?! I'm sorted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    moonie wrote
    Which ipod do you prefer, I love the 80 g classic ipod, so well I bought another one with my job bonus money.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    And there's a 160GB model?! I'm sorted!

There is.
    And I'd call it "a good start".
    Really waiting for a terabyte issue to come along though... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    moonie wrote
    Which ipod do you prefer, I love the 80 g classic ipod, so well I bought another one with my job bonus money.

Um... what?
    TWO 80 GB iPods?
    Why not simply buy the 160 GB one, or am I missing something? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    smile biggrin punk lick spin dizzy rolleyes beer

You guys Rule!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    moonie wrote

Um... what?
    TWO 80 GB iPods?
    Why not simply buy the 160 GB one, or am I missing something? confused

Long story, hehe, I only had enough to get the 80 at that time , and I seem to have read that some didnt like the 160 , but most liked the 80.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably due to its size I would imagine. The 160GB model is quite chunky in relative terms.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I did research this quite a bit , which is something I usually dont do, and I decited on the 80.

ok off to work, Ill catch you guys on the filpside.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Probably due to its size I would imagine. The 160GB model is quite chunky in relative terms.

Is it ? confused

I don't think it's much (or indeed any) bigger than the 80 GB one.
    The only difference would -I guess- be the extra hard disk(s?) in it, which would make it bulge slightly more.

I'm quite happy with the 160: no troubles yet in 6 months of (intensive) use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's slightly thicker, and when you compare them to one another in your hands, those extra few MMs actually make a bigger difference than you would think. Still, I emphasise it in relative terms. I'd be more than happy to buy a 160GB model if I could afford it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    It's slightly thicker, and when you compare them to one another in your hands, those extra few MMs actually make a bigger difference than you would think. Still, I emphasise it in relative terms. I'd be more than happy to buy a 160GB model if I could afford it!

I had actually bought the 160GB model the first time around, but felt that it was way too much memory for me. So I returned it and got the 80GB version. As of now, I have all my playlists, along with all the movies I want to put on there, and it's taken up only 60+GB. Saved about $90 bucks so I'm pretty happy with my decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    iPods are awesome. cool

(Of course Demetris doesn't agree, he tends not to like anything that reaches a certain popularity. biggrin wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    Steven wrote
    iPods are awesome. cool

(Of course Demetris doesn't agree, he tends not to like anything that reaches a certain popularity. biggrin wink)

LOL spin
  1. Martijn wrote
    Really waiting for a terabyte issue to come along though... slant

Now that would be worth having!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I doubt if there would be a Terabyte HDD PMP player since that would be ridiculous thick. Beside the next hawtness is SSD so I'd reckon an 80GB SSD iPod is a good possibility by mid 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    iPods are awesome. cool

Screw you, the way you see some things is SO non-reality based and SO Steven-p.o.v. I am playing THE DARK KNIGHT everyday non-stop since i saw the movie btw, but that's not popular enough i guess moon
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    dizzy

I don't see things from a realistic point of view do I? biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Screw you, the way you see some things is SO non-reality based and SO Steven-p.o.v. I am playing THE DARK KNIGHT everyday non-stop since i saw the movie btw, but that's not popular enough i guess moon

Jordi? Did you hack D.'s account again?
    angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Can't be, surely? There are no spelling mistakes?

Syntax is another matter. I do go on, don't I? biggrin