• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDon
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    As my former 1,5 GB iRiver player died of harddisk failure I swore myself I'd never buy myself HD players again and got myself a 16GB flash player from Cowon - which I'm very satisfied with. But still one thought echoes in my mind: with the new generation of HD players I would have been able to store ALL of my music (and thereby relieve one of my external harddisks from heavy load) instead of having a comparably small excerpt of it (and having to change once in every four of five weeks).
    What is your opinion, what kind of player do you prefer - flash or HD? And which kind of bit rate do you use when you rip your CDs to mp3? As of lately I moved on to varied bit rate, but I am not hearing THAT much difference to 160 I did before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I Pod. smile

Main reason was that at the time it was the only player with a whopping HD (160 GB!) that was actually still small and not specifically geared towards video.

Before that I was still going 'round with my portable Discman.
    The luxury of a huge HD is that I have to make very few concessions to quality: I rip everything to 320 kbs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don wrote
    As my former 1,5 GB iRiver player died of harddisk failure I swore myself I'd never buy myself HD players again and got myself a 16GB flash player from Cowon - which I'm very satisfied with. But still one thought echoes in my mind: with the new generation of HD players I would have been able to store ALL of my music (and thereby relieve one of my external harddisks from heavy load) instead of having a comparably small excerpt of it (and having to change once in every four of five weeks).
    What is your opinion, what kind of player do you prefer - flash or HD? And which kind of bit rate do you use when you rip your CDs to mp3? As of lately I moved on to varied bit rate, but I am not hearing THAT much difference to 160 I did before.

What's the average bit rate of the varied bit rates you use? It would of course depend on whether it's 128VBR or 320VBR for example.

I think you would notice the difference between a 160 and a 320 if you tested them out on a large speaker system at loud volumes, discrepancies in the treble are more noticeable that way (particularly with things like high pitched percussion, sounds with higher frequencies). And of course orchestral music is the best way to test the differences between low bit rates and high bit rates as it has the most dynamics and therefore a higher degree of info-per-second is needed for a better sound quality.

With portable music players, you'll mostly be using headphones which makes it a little harder to notice these discrepancies simply because the speakers are physically smaller than a large speaker system. And I think you'll often hear people saying they don't hear any differences between a 128kbps file and a 320kbps probably because they only listen to songs which aren't as dynamic as orchestral music (and don't have very good speaker systems).

Anyway, I use an 8GB iPod Nano with Bose In-Ear headphones. Best damn iPod ever made! Small, light, tough, batteries last for ages and I don't mind swapping my music around due to the limited 8GB of space (which is more than enough to take out with me at any given time).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I usually keep @192 MP3s in the portable MP3 player because I've got limited space and there's not much noticeable difference between it and higher bitrates using ear-phones IMO. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    iPod. Simple as. Plus I can stream movies off it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I use my 2 GB iPod nano (the old kind). I soon hope to get a new one (maybe 4 or 8 GB), so I can watch movies and TV shows on it, in addition to listening to MP3s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have a 60GB iPod Video... or whatever it's called. It's with me whenever I'm in the car. I rip my music at 192k MP3 or higher but with a 500GB hard drive I can now rip my music at 320k AAC and still have enough space for hundreds and hundreds of more scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDon
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    The average bit rate of my mp3 is somewhere between 190 and 220, since I rip with varied bit rate. As I said I did before with lower bit rate, due to my lack of harddisk space (the time before I got my first external HD) AND due to the fact that my first mp3player did not have that much capacity. I wanted to have at least some variety to carry with me.
    As I said, the listening experience is not THAT much better now - but I admit I only use mp3 when I'm in transit (and sometime when I'm on the computer, as I haven't installed a proper stereo in the cellar yet). When I'm home I normally use my stereo and put a CD in (yes, I am an old-fashioned guy).

I admit I don't think I'll ever get an iPod, since I don't want to be assigned to a specific software to use it. It has not so much to do with the functionality of iTunes whatsoever, it's just that I don't like the idea of being forced to something.
  1. I have a 60GB Creative Zen Vision:M and, like Erik, it's with me everywhere I go in the car. I've about 4700 film music tracks on it at the moment (my favourite tracks) and about 600 songs (to keep everyone else quiet in the car when we are all going on long journeys). I also have about 10-20 complete CDs to listen to and I have all 3 Lord of The Rings complete recordings set in sequence so I can listen to them from start to finish.

I rip all my music at 320 kbps mp3s and am storing them on a 500GB hard drive I had added to my PC. I'm looking to add an external hard drive (500GB or 1TB?) as a secondary back up that I can keep somewhere else.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Don wrote
    I admit I don't think I'll ever get an iPod, since I don't want to be assigned to a specific software to use it. It has not so much to do with the functionality of iTunes whatsoever, it's just that I don't like the idea of being forced to something.

I was looking to get a second mp3 player - maybe a flash drive rather than a hard disc - but there's not as much storage with these yet so I may stuck with a large hard disc version. The 160GB iPod would be a dream but I'm not keen on going with an iPod (for reasons discussed elsewhere by several people) and I was looking at the 2nd generation Zune, but they seem to have specific software that's required to manage tracks (so I assume there's no drag-and-drop facility?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Why not keen on an iPod? (I was probably one of those people, so I apologise for forgetting.)
  3. Nothing specific. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything (because I secretly do want that huge hard disc!!) but I've read that iTunes can be affect the performance of PCs. I don't want to be tied down to specific programs when moving tracks around - I like the control that dragging-and-dropping gives me. I have quite a few wma files that I'd need to convert to mp3 format.

Maybe not solid arguments for not taking the plunge with Apple, but I'm set in my ways now with my easy-to-use Creative Zen and I'm loathe to change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They can and they do affect the performance of the PC, especially if you're running an older system.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Can someone find the topic that already contains all the pros and cons of iPods. That would head off a long discussion again here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Didn't that thread go down with scorereviews?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I had a feeling that it may have been quite an old topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008 edited
    I have waited long to get on the portable player wagon. I'm still old-school in that way that I love listening to compact discs's and the sound they produce, but recently I got a little Philips 2Gb MP3 player, and I'm amazed at the ease of use and sound quality this gizmo puts out. I have some diverse music on there and I like how I can just connect it to the PC and just cut and paste away if I want to add or remove albums. I don't like listening to separate tracks, so mostly full albums on it, through on occasion I have some sole cues on there, such as Giacchino's Roar! or Erik Woods' Williams mega mix. I'm listening ATM to the work of Blackmore's Night, which is a sort of folky, rocky, sort of music.

Downside of this player which I must admit is somewhat my own fault: 2 gigs don't cut it, but it's no major hassle. There isn't that much new stuff that I'm getting, so updates are not frequent.

If I'm on the move, it's mostly by car, so that's the occasion I like to listen, when driving to / from work. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDon
    I don't want to be tied down to specific programs when moving tracks around

Same with me. I really like the Drag&Drop feature - and since I normally listen to whole albums there is no specific need for any kind of advanced mp3 administration. I rip the CDs to folders and listen to them, that's all (having said that, I realize I'm *really* an old-fashioned guy). I never made a playlist in my life (I intend to, not for scores but for my huge amount of soundtrack-songs that are stored in one large folder).
    Btw, is there a way to randomize playlists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It did, and I asked Andy (where the hell did he go anyway?!? Haven't seen him since the reboot!) before, but the database is irretrievably lost. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don wrote

Btw, is there a way to randomize playlists?

Yes, in iTunes you just press the icon with two arrows overlapping and it randomizes your playlist. Press it again and it goes back to the original order you placed them, then press it again it will randomize them again in a different order each time.

I've never had any trouble with iTunes, but then again I'm using a Mac which is what iTunes is designed for. Also never had a problem with my iPod, and it's not as though I take much care of it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    Brace yourselves: I'm still using my ol' Sony Super-groove DISCMAN(!), with which there's something wrong, because if I touch the case ever so slightly while it plays, it stops!

Main reason being of course that I live on a very, very tight budget and have to put up a priority list of electronic gadgets. Only a couple of months ago did I finally replace my stationary computer (with a mastodont of a 19'' screen from the late 90's that was filling up half of my tiny apartment! smile) with a new 17'' HP laptop that I'm typing on now. That has been on top of my "gadget-to-get" list for 6-7 years now! Next in line is probably my ancient FATscreen TV. After that is a new cell phone. Only after that will I see about portable music players, in close competition with a digital camera.

The other reason it has such a low priority, is because I don't really listen to music while I move around in public areas. I prefer to have all my senses intact in those cases. Of course, if I'm sitting on a bus for five hours or something, I'll make an exception.

Speaking of which, it is in those scenarios I realize how much of a dinosaur I am. When sitting on a long-distance bus, I usually have the discman itself resting inside a bag so that no one can see it. It's quite cumbersome to swap CD's inside the bag itself without anyone noticing, of course, but I try. The headphone cord has a built-in "remote control" so it looks like I MAY have an iPod! LOL! Oh, the hazzle of living in the past! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I actually read and have no interest to speak of in a portable unit. I'll admit to mindless reading but as long as it holds my interest its ok with me. I don't have a cell phone (no desire) nor a television (no desire). Don't feel like a dinosaur Thor or I'm doomed to what?
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wow. No offense, but I hope I don't get like that when I reach your age! (Which I don't this is that old anyway, even if you would like us to think it is. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A couple quick thoughts

1... On the tele I just got sick of the commercials one day. I watch films on a very nice monitor, either VHS or DVD. Most of the good series of programs on television such as Foyles War end up on DVD anyway.
    2... I love to listen to music and this is my priority. I think you all know that as I write enough about it!
    3... Since I spend a lot of time at home because of the disability the cell phone isn't a priority. If I'm on public transportation I just read.
    4...I spend a fair amount of time on the computer too.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    I always take one spare pair of underpants, just in case.
  6. Southall wrote
    I always take one spare pair of underpants, just in case.

You just couldn't let it lie, could you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sigh...those Brits.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris, some day you will find yourself in a situation when you need a spare pair of underpants, then you'll be laughing on the other side of your face. Who knows - you may suffer so much wind that you blow a hole in the pair you're wearing. Or perhaps you'll hear the sound of a pack of wolves chasing you down and you just fill your pants. Then, you'll think of me.
  7. Southall wrote
    Who knows - you may suffer so much wind that you blow a hole in the pair you're wearing. Or perhaps you'll hear the sound of a pack of wolves chasing you down and you just fill your pants.

Bad luck if the second incident comes right after the first!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Who knows - you may suffer so much wind that you blow a hole in the pair you're wearing. Or perhaps you'll hear the sound of a pack of wolves chasing you down and you just fill your pants.

Bad luck if the second incident comes right after the first!

Very bad luck. And to think it's happened to me twice!