• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So I start a little discussion about what you consider the good or great action films coming from the asian territories. Mostly martial arts stuff or just films with fantastic stunt work is what we'd like to talk about here.

I'm quite fond of Jackie Chan and his genious comedic side mixed with his insane stunt work. Legend of Drunken Master is great, and Who Am I? is totally fun as well. His work with Sammo Hung is mostly very entertaining as well, and when Yuen Biao joins the two, it's a total blast. Check all three out in Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever, which rate highly on the fun factor.

Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Tony Jaa: all top stuff in my book. They've all had their moments that are mindblowing and demand respect from lesser mortals.

Thai action films are coming along nicely too, with Tony Jaa favorites Ong-Bak and Tom Yum Goong being the best known, they include some truly jawdropping scenes of suicidal tendencies by Tony Jaa himself. This guy is the star and he knows it, going all out with total disregard of his life and kicking ass around every corner. He is the new Jackie Chan in that respect.

I like the movies by Zhang Yimou as well, with his highly artistic style and his total understanding of good editing in his movies. His movies flow as his characters through the scene. I totally dig that sense of epic, yet high on the drama sort of action films. Hero is ace, and his latest 'Curse of the Golden Flower' has the most lavish production values I've ever seen in the genre. He sure knows how to add some color to the already brilliant looking scenery.

Nothing to do with the kung fu combat, but stylings from a different kind, John Woo's career in Hong Kong has shown his amazing ability to make ballet out of violent gunbattles. Hard-Boiled with Chow Yun Fat (one of my most-loved asian actors) is incredible in its portrayal of intense slow-motion choreagraphy like only he can film them. I dare you not to be in awe during the whole hospital sequence...

So what are some of the better asian action flicks you've seen in your life? I'm always interested in seeing more of them, especially as the genre is just blossoming right now and there are some amazing talents showcasing their skills.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    So I start a little discussion about what you consider the good or great action films coming from the asian territories. Mostly martial arts stuff or just films with fantastic stunt work is what we'd like to talk about here.

So many great films, but to mention just a few: two of the best martial arts films ever made: Jet Li´s Once Upon a time in China and Once Upon a Time in China 2: great action sequences, photography and music, but above all, a fantastic screenplay. These are real martial arts films, not only kicks and stunts but a story and a historic background (nothing to do with Jet Li´s american films, which are NOT martial arts films, they are just action flicks with some stunts). Highly recommended.
    Also very good is Sammo Hung´s The Prodigal Son.

DreamTheater wrote
    John Woo's career in Hong Kong has shown his amazing ability to make ballet out of violent gunbattles. Hard-Boiled with Chow Yun Fat (one of my most-loved asian actors) is incredible in its portrayal of intense slow-motion choreagraphy like only he can film them. I dare you not to be in awe during the whole hospital sequence...

Totally agree, one of the best action set pieces ever made. But don´t forget Woo´s The Killer and A Bullet in the Head (one of his more personal projects).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Everything by Godfrey Ho is absolutely terrible. You may laugh at how bad those movies are, or you may feel as if your brain just exploded. They are all so mind numbingly bad.
  2. Marselus wrote

So many great films, but to mention just a few: two of the best martial arts films ever made: Jet Li´s Once Upon a time in China and Once Upon a Time in China 2: great action sequences, photography and music, but above all, a fantastic screenplay. These are real martial arts films, not only kicks and stunts but a story and a historic background (nothing to do with Jet Li´s american films, which are NOT martial arts films, they are just action flicks with some stunts). Highly recommended.
    Also very good is Sammo Hung´s The Prodigal Son.

Is Once Up a Time in China 2 worth watching without seeing the first, which I've read isn't all that great compared to the sequel. Will I be missing much by not seeing it?

Jet Li in Fist of Legend, is also great stuff: a no holds barred, all out fighting frenzy, but with enough story depth to it, so you feel for the characters, which isn't always the case with these asian productions.

Ha, the Prodigal Son, I've watched it once, but I didn't feel totally wow-ed by it, not due to the kung fu, but because it's an old film, with cheesy voices, and abysmal sound, I couldn't quite get into it. I was going WTF half of the time because the sound sucked so much. rolleyes

Totally agree, one of the best action set pieces ever made. But don´t forget Woo´s The Killer and A Bullet in the Head (one of his more personal projects).

The Killer I've watched multiple times, I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me, as the story is definitely touching at times, and the cinematography is superb. And again Chow Yun Fat is full of charisma and has a nice interplay with his co-star (I forgot his name).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    The best, fastest, most exciting fight sequence is in Jue Kuen II. As far as action films concerned, Lat Sau San Taam and Dip Huet Sueng Hung are my favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is Once Up a Time in China 2 worth watching without seeing the first, which I've read isn't all that great compared to the sequel. Will I be missing much by not seeing it?

I´d watch it if I were you (I did it! wink ). They´re both similar in its action parts (the second has some really memorable action choreographies with Donnie Yen though) but I really like Li´s character´s evolution from part one to part two (keep an eye to the final scene of part 1, really memorable in its message). Skip the rest of the saga though, the rest of the films don´t live up to parts 1 and 2, not at all.

DreamTheater wrote
    Jet Li in Fist of Legend, is also great stuff: a no holds barred, all out fighting frenzy, but with enough story depth to it, so you feel for the characters, which isn't always the case with these asian productions.

I have to admit I´ve never watched this one shame But with this two lines of yours now I´m GONNA watch it ASAP.

DreamTheater wrote
    Ha, the Prodigal Son, I've watched it once, but I didn't feel totally wow-ed by it, not due to the kung fu, but because it's an old film, with cheesy voices, and abysmal sound, I couldn't quite get into it. I was going WTF half of the time because the sound sucked so much. rolleyes

That´s a little problem with old martial arts films, but once you get used to the chesy sound effects and the mediocre sound in general, there ae really good films to enjoy. I prefer the 90´s ones though: perfect sound (Hong Kong Legends DVD´s releases are particularly amazing btw) and also deep in its stories.

DreamTheater wrote
    The Killer I've watched multiple times, I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me, as the story is definitely touching at times, and the cinematography is superb.

His better film according to lots of Woo´s fans. The finale in the church (and outside the church at the very end) is definitely an epic/dramatic one difficult to beat.

DreamTheater wrote
    And again Chow Yun Fat is full of charisma and has a nice interplay with his co-star (I forgot his name).

Chow Yun-Fat IS charisma smile And his co-star is Danny Lee (if you mean the cop).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    That´s a little problem with old martial arts films, but once you get used to the chesy sound effects and the mediocre sound in general, there ae really good films to enjoy. I prefer the 90´s ones though: perfect sound (Hong Kong Legends DVD´s releases are particularly amazing btw) and also deep in its stories.

Hong Kong Legends is a great label, image quality is always very good considering how these films were shot, sound not so good though it's watchable. I've grown so accustomed to American movies and their amazing detail in sound designs, these old Asian productions can feel like a thorn in my eye (ear).

Chow Yun-Fat IS charisma smile And his co-star is Danny Lee (if you mean the cop).

Yes that's the one I mean.

On another note I just saw two terrible films, laughably bad actually.

The Myth starring Jackie Chan. Forgettable story and terrible acting, and even worse is the cheesy American dub. And the whole final battle is a joke, especially for fans of Jackie. At least there's one comical scene, the one where they fight it out on a rat glue-filled (?) transport band, with the heroes and baddies, having to ditch their clothing in an original fashion. Other than that, not worth watching. (3/10)

The Tiger Blade: Thai action film with a story that makes no sense at all, even the action is below-par. For a movie claiming to be like Ong-Bak in its intensity, it doesn't even come close. There's hardly any physical impacts and the wire work is very noticeable. At least some chases are entertaining in a way. But the worst part is the story which is total garbage with characters emerging around every corner and being in some way related but never explained why. (3/10)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Myth starring Jackie Chan. Forgettable story and terrible acting, and even worse is the cheesy American dub

One little advice Gilles wink : Never, NEVER watch asian films dubbed. It´s totally impossible to make an accurate dubbing of an asian film; asian accents are undubbable. Try to always watch them in its original version (if possible) and you´ll enjoy much more the acting and the movie overall. I watch asian films in its orignal language (with english subtitles) since I was young and trust me is great.

DreamTheater wrote
    ....And the whole final battle is a joke, especially for fans of Jackie

Yes, its an asian production but the action looks like it´s an American one.

DreamTheater wrote
    At least there's one comical scene, the one where they fight it out on a rat glue-filled (?) transport band, with the heroes and baddies, having to ditch their clothing in an original fashion. Other than that, not worth watching

I have to agree here. Not a movie I´ll watch again I´m afraid; I enjoyed some sequences though, specially the one you mention: I thought it was pretty original.

And did you notice the shameless rip of Zimmer´s Pirates of the Caribbean music at the first battle? I couldn´t stop laughing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Two recommendations for hardcore Hong Kong action flicks fans: SPL (I never thought Sammo Hung could portray such a bastard villain) and Invisible Target (set piece after set piece, every one of them more spectacular than the previous one).
  3. Yeah, great flicks, those two, both very nice on the action-o-meter, both with the new badass Wing Ju aka Jacky Wu, he's totally crazy in SPL when he kills that young cop, though Donnie Yen shows him who's boss in the end. Still an actor we'll hear a lot more of in the future. And Sammo Hung is punk

About The Myth in dubbed english, no choice of language on the DVD sadly, no doubt I would have picked the original Cantonese track if there was one.

When I first started watching these asian productions, I was afraid to be missing vital info by not choosing the dub, now I only like to watch when the words actually match the movements of the actors' mouths, but on these European DVD's it's not always possible to chose...

I thought it was awkward as well that Jackie's voice in those 80s and early 90s flicks was always some unknown voice actor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, great flicks, those two, both very nice on the action-o-meter, both with the new badass Wing Ju aka Jacky Wu, he's totally crazy in SPL when he kills that young cop, though Donnie Yen shows him who's boss in the end. Still an actor we'll hear a lot more of in the future. And Sammo Hung is punk

I agree with everything. And yes, Sammo as a bad motherf*cker is actually punk

DreamTheater wrote
    About The Myth in dubbed english, no choice of language on the DVD sadly, no doubt I would have picked the original Cantonese track if there was one.

Very sad when the dvd release doesn´t feature the original language but only the dub version. Shameful.

DreamTheater wrote
    ...but on these European DVD's it's not always possible to chose...

Fortunately most of the dvd releases do feature the original cantonese / chinese version. And for those that don´t, I always go to www.yeasasia.com. Asian dvd´s are really great (with nice english subtitles), specially the korean editions.
  4. one of the best movies there is, Drunken Master 2
    Such a comedic and action packed thrill ride, and not stupid at all in English, Jackie Chan at his best

But SPL, Invisible Target, Born to Fight, Ong Bak, Who Am I aren't bad either smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    one of the best movies there is, Drunken Master 2
    Such a comedic and action packed thrill ride, and not stupid at all in English, Jackie Chan at his best

Agreed. Classic martial arts film.
    Talking about classics, dont miss Jet Li´s Iron Monkey. Master piece of martial arts films!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But SPL, Invisible Target, Born to Fight, Ong Bak, Who Am I aren't bad either smile

Yes, all these are action at full power. SPL and Invisible Target being the best of this bunch IMO.
  5. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    one of the best movies there is, Drunken Master 2

Agreed. Classic martial arts film.
    Talking about classics, dont miss Jet Li´s Iron Monkey. Master piece of martial arts films!

Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yes, all these are action at full power. SPL and Invisible Target being the best of this bunch IMO.

Invisible Target is indeed a kickass ride, these guys kick butt in there
    I hope more movies like this get made
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry to hijack for a moment here, but this thread gives me the creeps! I mean i always thought that nobody was really into this kind of films but instead into ....... actual films, like more serious movies you know? But i am shocked to discover that some people actually like that stuff! What's wrong with me (or you? wink )? I just want to punch the tv whenever i accidentally bump across such a film...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Sorry to hijack for a moment here, but this thread gives me the creeps! I mean i always thought that nobody was really into this kind of films but instead into ....... actual films, like more serious movies you know? But i am shocked to discover that some people actually like that stuff! What's wrong with me (or you? wink )? I just want to punch the tv whenever i accidentally bump across such a film...

we little kids like it when guys get their asses kicked, it's that easy buddy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I just want to punch the tv

Been watching a few too many fight films, D.?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I just want to punch the tv

Been watching a few too many fight films, D.?

No, Incredibly Hot women running in Sand, jumping and bending over all the time. Can srsly harm ur helfth.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

shocked

Oh hai.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sorry to hijack for a moment here, but this thread gives me the creeps! I mean i always thought that nobody was really into this kind of films but instead into ....... actual films, like more serious movies you know?

More serious movies? Trust me, we´ve mentioned really serious movies here (Once upon a Time in China 1 and 2, Iron Monkey, The Prodigal Son, etc ). These are Martial Arts Films, with all the meaning and the philosophical aspects in most cases.

Then we have the more commercial films (SPL, Flash Point, Invisible Target, etc). Even the weakest of them are FAR BETTER than american action films. Check "The Blacksheep Affair" out someday, and then we talk about one of the most famous action set pieces in "Matrix" wink .

Christodoulides wrote
    But i am shocked to discover that some people actually like that stuff! What's wrong with me (or you? wink )? I just want to punch the tv whenever i accidentally bump across such a film...

Well of course not any single asian action movie is great. There´s a lot of garbage. It´s a question of finding the good amongst the rubbish (as we do with the rest of the films).
  7. Yes, it's not at silly when you compare this type of film to something more intellectual as The Godfather or 2001: A Space Odyssey. What counts in good action / martial acts films is that you actually get to respect the level of masterful technique and speed at which these guys can do their stuff, nothing wrong with appreciating the talent of a true master at his game... When you see someone like tony Jaa do the most dangerous things ever filmed I cannot feel anything else than total respect for his skills and his rock-solid balls.

And sure I've seen some so-called serious films that I cannot stop laughing at, just because they're so ridiculously bad, hilarious when the original intent was to make you feel sad (cough 'Heart of the Dragon' cough)...

The storylines and characters do need a lot of work most of the times in asian films, but sometimes all of it falls nicely into place, like New Police Story, which I enjoy a lot for the ballsy action and is actually very touching at times because of the good acting. Agreed most of the plot is silly when you compare the story to more thought provoking flicks, but within the reality of the film I can totally enjoy it for what it's meant to do.

Now you must understand I'm am a pacifist, I will never pick a fight with someone, albeit verbally and even then hardly at all. I always go out of the way of violence. And I would never be able to do, nor willing to do what those people do, but nevertheless I enjoy watching them. And I do like to watch 'more serious films' as well. But I need me some asskickin' from time to time!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    The storylines and characters do need a lot of work most of the times in asian films, but sometimes all of it falls nicely into place, like New Police Story, which I enjoy a lot for the ballsy action and is actually very touching at times because of the good acting.

This reminds me of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. It´s the perfect example of a movie (not action movie in this case but a cops / triads one with heavy drama) with great acting (lots of talented actors there), very clever screenplay (so touching sometimes: specially in the second part), and also great technical achievements in photography and editing. Oh, and a very nice score by Chan Kwong Wing (the first thing I did after watching the trilogy was ordering the trilogy pack score).
    For those who haven´t watched them yet, highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    A lot of the movies mentioned here are within the last 15 years. What about the classics? Hasn't anyone seen films like 36th Chamber of Shaolin?
  8. Marselus wrote

This reminds me of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. It´s the perfect example of a movie (not action movie in this case but a cops / triads one with heavy drama) with great acting (lots of talented actors there), very clever screenplay (so touching sometimes: specially in the second part), and also great technical achievements in photography and editing. Oh, and a very nice score by Chan Kwong Wing (the first thing I did after watching the trilogy was ordering the trilogy pack score).

Yep, I'm interested in seeing this at one point. Starring Tony Leung, which has star power too, I liked him a lot in Hero. But I've heard only the 1st and 2nd part are worth watching with the 3rd one limping behind, correct?

Chan Kwong Wing also provided the music for Twins Effect, another cool movie about young cute female vampire-slayers with funny cameos by Jackie Chan. The whole end battle is mind blowing IMO, but special effects laden, though highly entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yep, I'm interested in seeing this at one point. Starring Tony Leung, which has star power too, I liked him a lot in Hero. But I've heard only the 1st and 2nd part are worth watching with the 3rd one limping behind, correct?

Not only Tony Leung but Andy Lau, Anthony Wong and Eric Tsang (what an amazing actor: he delivers his best performance in the second part, simply impressive). Watch them ASAP. Parts 1 and 2 are awesome. The third is the weakest of the trilogy, but interesting to see all the character´s fate.

DreamTheater wrote
    Chan Kwong Wing also provided the music for Twins Effect, another cool movie about young cute female vampire-slayers with funny cameos by Jackie Chan. The whole end battle is mind blowing IMO, but special effects laden, though highly entertaining.

Yes, total fun movie, not in the same league as Infernal Affairs, but entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Also highly recommended are Johnnie To´s films. One of the best directors in Hong Kong. His films about triads are superb (Election, Election 2, Exiled), as are his more action oriented films (Fulltime Killer, Running Out of Time, The Mission, PTU, Breaking News, Mad Detective).
  9. Looks like I have some catching up to do. Marselus, thanks for your recommendations, I will check them out when I have time.

I have to admit I like ogling at those Twin cuties, which is half my enjoyment of Twins Effect. dizzy And for the nice music, shame the whole opening battle isn't on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Looks like I have some catching up to do. Marselus, thanks for your recommendations, I will check them out when I have time.

You welcome wink I´m sure you´ll enjoy those.

DreamTheater wrote
    I have to admit I like ogling at those Twin cuties, which is half my enjoyment of Twins Effect. dizzy And for the nice music, shame the whole opening battle isn't on the CD.

Sure, the twins are really hot biggrin
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    No love for Enter the Dragon or The Chinese Connection?
  10. Ong Bak 2

If you expect anything like Ong Bak, don't. This is a completely different movie (time and presentation). But I mean this in a good way. You can see Tony Jaa wanted to do something different and for me, this movie at least has a story you care for. So I was surprised to see a nice dramatic element. The build up is slow but steady, the use of slow motion is magnificent (at the right times), the look and colour of the movie must stun you on Blu-Ray alone and the detail in story development is done in the right way

But of course it are the fights we want to see. And I didn't see this coming. Man, no fights? And if they came no fights that wowed me.

But then we enter the finale and Tony Jaa pulls out all the stops. This is by far the most breathtaking continuation of fights I've seen in a long time, this is a finale that's worth the price of the DVD (or Blu-Ray) alone. This is Martial Arts at its best.

By the music, the music is very good too smile

punk punk punk punk out of punk punk punk punk punk