• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    The Bond movies do it darn well, but what other awesome ways have our action heroes got out of sticky situations?

One of my favourites has to be MI3 - Tom Cruise is handcuffed to a chair, electrocuted, and then forced to tell Phillip Seymour Hoffman where some top-secret-uber-weaponry is. I won't get into all the details here, but in the end he manages to escape by biting a guy on the hand, grabbing a biro out of the guys pocket before knocking him out, and using the cartridge to free himself from the handcuffs. Awesome! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    Best movie escapes?

ME! Dashing for the pub whenever a Michael Bay movie comes on!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    "Get away from her, you bitch!"
    - Ellen Ripley in Aliens

Never again I cheered that way while being stuck in a full theatre.
    • CommentAuthorDon
    Not sure if it qualifies (as it's no action-packed escape), but my favourite always will be THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION:

When the Warden finds the bible in his safe after Andy escapes and finds the message Andy left for him.

"Dear Warden, You were right. Salvation lies within."

Afterwards in flashbacks Tim Robbins is shown slowly climbing through the sewers and then standing in the pouring rain. Brillant imagery, great storytelling. One of my all-time favourites.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don wrote
    Not sure if it qualifies (as it's no action-packed escape), but my favourite always will be THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION:

When the Warden finds the bible in his safe after Andy escapes and finds the message Andy left for him.

"Dear Warden, You were right. Salvation lies within."

Afterwards in flashbacks Tim Robbins is shown slowly climbing through the sewers and then standing in the pouring rain. Brillant imagery, great storytelling. One of my all-time favourites.

No argument from me, it's brilliant! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Doesn't have to be 'action packed' to be classified as a movie escape. An escape is an escape regardless of how many explosions it happens to get through! Shawshank is indeed one of the best.
  1. Agreed. Shawshank is pure genius.

That said, my Aliens quote is probably a great entry, not a great exit.

The best exit I can think of for now...

"Come with me if you want to live!"
    Chose your favourite version by yourself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I will enter the "Escape From The Idol Temple" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Crumbing walls, poison arrows, a swing across a never ending gorge, stone wall closing, metal spikes and a giant rolling boulder. On top of that, minutes later Indy must run a good mile from Hovitos, swing from a vine into the water, swim to the MOVING plane all the while having poison darts shot at him. Is there REALLY any better escape than that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I will enter the "Escape From The Idol Temple" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Crumbing walls, poison arrows, a swing across a never ending gorge, stone wall closing, metal spikes and a giant rolling boulder. On top of that, minutes later Indy must run a good mile from Hovitos, swing from a vine into the water, swim to the MOVING plane all the while having poison darts shot at him. Is there REALLY any better escape than that?

-Erik-

Depends if we're talking realism or not!? wink

Great escapes?

THE GREAT ESCAPE

Obvious but brilliant! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The finale of THE ISLAND coupled with Jablonsky's gorgeous but heavily unoriginal "My name is Lincoln"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The escape from the giant space worm in The Empire Strikes Back. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The escape from the giant space worm in The Empire Strikes Back. punk

Yeeeaaaaahhhh! I like dat one! beer

I've never seen Escape To Witch Mountain, any good escapes in that? cheesy wink
  2. The Millenium Falcon attaching itself to a Star Destroyer to escape it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Aaaah... but when you saw it for the first time did it not look realistic to you?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Aaaah... but when you saw it for the first time did it not look realistic to you?

-Erik-

You know what I meant smile

Yeah, I said it before, Raiders blew me away when I first saw it......on it's original release. cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Not really a good guy escaping, but I thought Tai Lung's escape in Kung Fu Panda was good, and so is the music that accompanies it.
  3. Where Eagles Dare.

Cable car. Enough said.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    franz_conrad wrote
    Where Eagles Dare.

Cable car. Enough said.

Best Movie Ever!! Score too!!!

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    The Escape from the Cloud city from Empire Strikes Back. Music too.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HYPERSPACE!

Good, GOOD call, Steve!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    De Niro, Walken etc escaping Viet Cong captors during a nail biting sequence of Russian roulette in The Deer Hunter.
  4. From CAPRICORN ONE, the 'breakout' and airplane escape scenes are very well done with a combination of intercutting and Goldsmith's music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    This isnt a escape per say but I loved the ending of Cap one, Spoiler below.....

when the main astronaut (can't think of his name to save me) comes running in at his own funeral.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    moonie wrote
    This isnt a escape per say but I loved the ending of Cap one, Spoiler below.....

when the main astronaut (can't think of his name to save me) comes running in at his own funeral.

sd smile

Col. Charles Brubaker played by James Brolin smile
  5. Terminator 2: The whole John Connor chased by the T-1000 in his truck in the canals scene culminating in the heroic rescue by the T-101. Wouldn't want to escape any other way than that!

And how about the nick-of-time escape from the exploding Death Star at the end of Return of the Jedi?? punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    Always loved Clint Eastwood's escape sequences in ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. A childhood favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Always loved Clint Eastwood's escape sequences in ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. A childhood favourite.

Based on a true story too....not sure how accurately it adheres to it?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    The Great Escape
    Raiders- Idol Temple
    Air Force one
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009
    Karl Malden trying to get away from Steve McQueen in Nevada Smith
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Anthony wrote
    The Bond movies do it darn well, but what other awesome ways have our action heroes got out of sticky situations?

One of my favourites has to be MI3 - Tom Cruise is handcuffed to a chair, electrocuted, and then forced to tell Phillip Seymour Hoffman where some top-secret-uber-weaponry is. I won't get into all the details here, but in the end he manages to escape by biting a guy on the hand, grabbing a biro out of the guys pocket before knocking him out, and using the cartridge to free himself from the handcuffs. Awesome! biggrin

The best escape there was when I got to leave at the end. Eugh, I want to be sick.