• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    "Revelation of the Daleks" -- another contender for worst episode of the whole series. Just painful and noisy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    I'm still to see that one.
    Weirdly enough I've never seen a Doctor 6 episode, although that maybe has to do with the declining quality of the series (the budget cuts and the probation the program was under) than anything else. In fact, in the audio plays Colin Baker is my favourite doctor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013
    Sylvester McCoy is actually quite decent as the Doctor. Too bad he has to suffer through absolute dreck like "Paradise Towers", which I've just seen.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. For me, McCoy was a terrible Doctor. It is more than just being bad stories. Matt Smith has had some poor stories but there is a great Doctor struggling to get out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I quite liked McCoy.

Matt Smith is great, what a shame all of his stories have run the gamut from exceptionally bad to middling.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thoroughly disliked McCoy for reasons I can't even explain.
    Too ...overtly pedantic, maybe?
    He annoys the living stuffing outy of me at any rate. He always sounds like one of those early eighties cartoons epilogies "today kids, we have learned that good is better than evil." Ugh!

I kinda like Matt Smith, and he's had some spectacularly good bits where he really defined the DOctor's persona as his own, but overall I thought neither the stories, the companions or this Doctor were worth more than a casual glance.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    Jesus H. Christ...just when you think DR. WHO can't get any worse, something like "Ghost Light" comes along. Totally non-sensical, I didn't have a clue about anything going on there -- non-stop dialogue, random people screaming and running back and forth, random plot point come and gone. It's like a Harold Pinter play on acid! (the difference being that the chaos and madness stems from very poor writing). There was something about a light God in the basement of a Victorian house -- that's about all I understood.

Oh well, just a few episodes left of the original run now. Gotta stick with it, painful as it sometimes is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    Ha, ha....seems like I'm not alone. Here's what Wikipedia says about the episode:

"The working script was heavily edited, with a number of explanatory scenes ultimately being omitted. The result is a plot that, unusually for Doctor Who, generally needs to be viewed several times to be understood. In particular, the function of Josiah and Control is never clearly explained. The plot is only fully explained in the DVD special feature "Light in Dark Places." Even the cast and director of the story were confused by the script, and made repeated calls to Marc Platt for explanations."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    So, I'm through with the original run now, including the 1996 film. Took me about 5 months. Now it's on to the 2005 version all over again. Hopefully, I'll finish by the time the new new episode comes out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    At least now you'll be able to place the Nestene Consciousness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    At least now you'll be able to place the Nestene Consciousness!

Yes....the one that controls the Autons, right? To be fair, I've already forgotten most of the contents of the episodes I've seen. Just a few "images" stuck in my mind, really. My hope is that I trigger something when I encounter the references on a second viewing of the new series.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You should: they're none too subtle!

(And yes, the Nestene Consciousness is the Autons one. I really enjoyed seeing that particular foe in the very first episode of the reboot!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    Ah! It's so great to be back in the 2005 version again and actually FEEL something more than just academic interest. To get throat lumps ("Father's Day"), feel a bit of suspense ("The Empty Child") and generally revel in the fine production values and serious writing. This is what the 5 months were all about!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    On my way to the end of reboot season 7 and Doctor Eleven (Matt Smith).
    Just finished The Crimson Horror, which is easily the best episode of the season so far. A very well directed, action and fun packed romp, with a great guest star in Diana Rigg!

Oh, and it once more featured my very favourite Doctor's companion.
    No, it's not Rose.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Oh, and it once more featured my very favourite Doctor's companion.
    No, it's not Rose.

Ah, Donna Noble minus the hair!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    "Utopia" -- of course, having seen every single DR. WHO episode also makes you realize the instances where they BREAK continuity. In this episode, the master is introduced without any explanation as to how he escaped the Eye of Harmony inside the TARDIS in the 1996 film. Strange, since the new series usually makes sure to uphold continuity.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wasn't it mentioned at some point he was resurrected by the Time Lords to fight in the last Time War?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Wasn't it mentioned at some point he was resurrected by the Time Lords to fight in the last Time War?

Yeah, but how could they ressurect him? He was trapped inside the TARDIS' Eye of Harmony. Or perhaps the Time Lords had special access? Incidentally, the Eye of Harmony is another inconsistent element. Sometimes, it's portrayed as being on Gallifrey, other times inside the TARDIS itself, other times both places.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Through interconnected continuity (the Big Finish audio dramas and novels) it was suggested he was indeed consumed, and that his 'essence' roamed the Time Vortex ever since. Until such a time as he was 'summoned' and resurrected to combat the Daleks as Gallifrey's 'ultimate war machine'.

It's a bit of back-doctoring (if you'll pardon the pun) of course.
    But at least it's *some* kind of reckoning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Incidentally, the Eye of Harmony is another inconsistent element. Sometimes, it's portrayed as being on Gallifrey, other times inside the TARDIS itself, other times both places.

I think the Eye is one of the big anomalies in time-space. It's probably accessible from everywhere at once (something like cloud computing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good points.

Still, it would be interesting to hear if Davies had the 96 movie in the back of his mind when he wrote the master back in or if the ressurection was just coincidental.

To be fair, there are other inconsistencies in the DW universe that are far more glaring and annoying -- like Skaro being blown up, then not being blown up, then being blown up again. Several encounters with the Loch Ness monster that have nothing to do with each other etc.

What I've noticed is that they really only started to pay attention to the vast backstory in the 80's. Before that, there were only bits and pieces of attempts to make it all fit together.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013 edited
    Right, so that's it, then!

I'm through ALL 798 episodes of DOCTOR WHO!

Took me 6 months, which is good because I was expecting a year.

There's still one more month to go before the 50th anniversary episode, and I'll use that time going through the SARAH JANE ADVENTURES (even though it's for kiddies) and maybe rewatch TORCHWOOD. Maybe watch those old WHO episodes that were recently discovered. But after that, I'll call it quits. No audio books or computer games or novels or what-have-you. I'm not a Whovian, really. I'm just an extreme sucker for franchise context!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    Haven't you still got a large handful of recently rediscovered ones to go through? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013 edited
    Wasn't it just a couple of Troughton serials that they rediscovered in Nigeria?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    Yes, apparently a Nigerian prince has found several million of them in an unopened vault, and he wants to send them to YOU!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, apparently a Nigerian prince has found several million of them in an unopened vault, and he wants to send them to YOU!

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    Finished the SARAH JANE ADVENTURES. It's a pretty clever show, even though it's for kids (age 8-9 and up, I would think). Quite emotional towards the end of the unfinished fifth season, and then the tribute video to Sladen.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Elizabeth Sladen was THE Doctor's companion for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013 edited
    She wasn't my favourite, but she was a good one.

The current companion, Clara, is probably my alltime favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But Elizabeth Sladen appeared just about the right time for a growing lad! wink