• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But Elizabeth Sladen appeared just about the right time for a growing lad! wink

Game, set and match wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2013
    Wow, did you guys see the recent mini-episode/prequel to the 50th anniversary episode that was just released by BBC?

It contains one MASSIVE surprise for Whovians! I'm not going to say anything untill you've seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Very cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Just watched it now.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think that the BBC are just trying to milk this for all it's worth. Yes, I'll watch the 50th Anniversary Episode (the BBC would want me to capitalise for greater effect and importance) but - like the vast majority of the more recent episodes of Dr. Who - I can't help but feel that it's going to be a mish-mash of a story, lost in the light of its own importance.

I hope to be proven wrong.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013 edited
    That seems a bit cynical to me. How can you say that after having seen Paul McGann -- PAUL FRIGGIN' MCGANN! -- return to the role as the 8th after 17 years?! I never saw that one coming, although I wished for it. I only wish there were room for more minutes with him, maybe even a couple of episodes, since he has so little screen time compared to the others.

If BBC is milking it for what it's worth, they're doing it the right way, IMO.

Of course, I'll wait untill I've seen the 50th and the Adventures in Time thingie before I pass final judgement.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Ah, the Paul McGann, who played the Doctor once in a failed atttempt to reignite the franchise?

My interest died a little bit more when I saw him I'm afraid. The writers should try and concentrate on giving the current Doctor at least one well-rounded story before he goes without having to resort to gimmicks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Ah, the Paul McGann, who played the Doctor once in a failed atttempt to reignite the franchise?

My interest died a little bit more when I saw him I'm afraid. The writers should try and concentrate on giving the current Doctor at least one well-rounded story before he goes without having to resort to gimmicks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013 edited
    I see. Well, McGann isn't necessarily a favourite of mine either (although he's been in it too seldom to really form an opninion), but I'm very interested in the whole context thing now that I've seen everything of WHO. I want the whole universe to make perfect sense and have a good continuity. That's why I eat up stuff like this with great enthusiasm.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013
    FANTASTIC!
    I really enjoyed that, seeing McGann (finally) tackle the missing link.
    Like Thor I do so enjoy a good shot at continuity. Even if it's....ahem....backdoctored.

And I really liked McGann's Doctor. Not in the movie, mind, but in Big Finish's dozens of audio adventures (together with Doctor 5,6 and 7 there are now well over a hundred!). He would have been a very worthy contender had he ever leapt to the silver screen in his own series.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    Last two posts on the 50th Anniversary episode 'Day Of The Doctor' from RECENT VIEWING III:
    (Here's the whole 50th Anniversary discussion: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_23 )

NOTE: NO SPOILER TAGS HERE to improve readability.
    But if you want to remain spoiler-free, you may want to leave.
    Now.

Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    (Again: I don't think there IS a (direct) link [between final series 7 episode 'Name Of The Doctor' and 50th anniversary episode 'day Of The Doctor]. The actual 'Doctor is erased' plot from 'Name' will pick up at Christmas again. 'Day Of The Doctor' "only" expanded on the appearance of the War Doctor in 'Name' when Doctor 11 was confronted with his personal history....including the parts he didn't want to remember.)

True, and I get that it's supposed to be a lead-in to the 50th, but I just can't see how they will move forward from that. The Hurt doctor had his whole story and climax in the 50th, so where could you possibly go from there with the confrontation in the cave? A brief hello, thanks for the last time and off we go in some way? Also, why would the confrontation be so dramatic and ominous when he has already had his absolution in the 50th?

Martijn wrote
    Aaaaah, wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey! (I loved, incidentally, how the War Doctor chided the other doctors for being so childish and immature. I thought John Hurt did an excellent job portraying the Doctor before his horrible act of genocide. It really was a different approach and as such he bridged the gap between classic and reboot Who excellently! (Thanks to the script writer as well, obviously. But the portrayal went a long way towards establishing that!))

But I digress.
    (I tend to do that).

What we'll find, I wager, in the Christmas special is EITHER Doctor 11 confronting the War Doctor either just before or just after the genocide (it doesn't matter which: he's lost his memory anyway, so he'll be on that destructive path anyway...regardless whether or not in THIS new timeline he has/will already have-shall been doing it ...GOD, we need new grammar to compensate for non-linear time shifts!). I expect that confrontation to be a hell of a lot darker, as even if Doctor 11's terrible guilt is abated, the War Doctor still has his 'No More' attitude, which comes from somewhere!

OR the dramatic confrontation in 'Name' was indeed the Doctor coming face to face with his most terrible past, which has now in the 50th special been resolved...leaving Doctor 11 entirely free, also from his own conscience, to pursue whatever the Silence will be doing in the Christmas special!

Either way would work for me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. This conversation is more confusing than the continuity of the Whoniverse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    That's because you haven't seen the prequel yet.

Which has already been published in a few months time in a thread that will be created in a week.
    So go forwards backwards quickly and have a look!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote

What we'll find, I wager, in the Christmas special is EITHER Doctor 11 confronting the War Doctor...

....aaaaaaand I just realised I typed a lot for nothing.
    I completely forgot the War Doctor regenerates to Doctor 9 at the end.
    So no more confrontations.

Too bad, really.
    I would have liked to see a bit more of a more unpleasant Doctor (like Colin Baker was at the beginning of his stint).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I certainly DO hope Moffat will pick up from "Name" in the Christmas special, but I have this nagging feeling that he won't. I have a feeling that the Christmas special will start somewhere else altogether -- maybe pick up from the 50th. Things are a bit screwed up at this point.

It outright ANNOYS me that this isn't the talk of the town -- maybe it's extra annoying because I'm too stupid to grasp it. smile

What we'll find, I wager, in the Christmas special is EITHER Doctor 11 confronting the War Doctor either just before or just after the genocide (it doesn't matter which: he's lost his memory anyway, so he'll be on that destructive path anyway...regardless whether or not in THIS new timeline he has/will already have-shall been doing it ...GOD, we need new grammar to compensate for non-linear time shifts!).

But here's the thing -- the way I interpreted the 50th is that they all manage to move Gallifrey to a different pocket universe, frozen in time (this will most likely be expanded upon in future episodes). The Daleks blow up themselves. This is an alternative timeline that everyone forgets, including all the previous doctors. In the real timeline, the Hurt doctor does indeed blow up Gallifrey -- that continuity is needed to get the timeline that we have now. So after his farewell with the other two, he boards his Tardis to get back to Gallifrey and blow it up with the Moment (forgetting that he has already saved it in an alternate timeline). BUT.....on his way back, he regenerates -- presumably into Eccleston. So he never gets to do that. WTF?!?

Basically, what I'm saying is that they begin and finish the Hurt doctor in the 50th. And since he also appears at the end of "Name", the two will always be connected. And then the connection needs to be accounted for.

In all seriousness, I cannot picture Moffat picking up Hurt again in the Christmas special. We'll have to wait and see how he resolves this. I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I will be coming back to this thread even MORE confused, in the days between Christmas and New Year's. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Not so much "Rumour Control" but more rumour-mongering...

[spoiler]I'd read that Matt Smith will reveal that he is the 13th Doctor (apparently David Tennant "used" up a regeneration somewhere - though I can't remember it) and so an additional way is needed to "reboot" the Doctor and his regenerations. A "Family Loom" (something related to the "Pythia Curse" http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Pythia%27s_Curse ) is used to start the Doctor's "line" from scratch and therefore reset the number of regenerations back to 1.[/spoiler]

Would that seem feasible?
  6. All the Whos down in Whoville loved Christmas a lot. But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not so much "Rumour Control" but more rumour-mongering...

[spoiler]I'd read that Matt Smith will reveal that he is the 13th Doctor (apparently David Tennant "used" up a regeneration somewhere - though I can't remember it) and so an additional way is needed to "reboot" the Doctor and his regenerations. A "Family Loom" (something related to the "Pythia Curse" http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Pythia%27s_Curse ) is used to start the Doctor's "line" from scratch and therefore reset the number of regenerations back to 1.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I read that too. Thanks for providing MORE confusion, Mr. Moffat, when the previous one isn't even resolved!

However, I was always under the assumption that the doctor [spoiler]basically nullified the whole '12 generations only' rule in his business with River Song? Also, if Matt is the 13th, why does Peter Capaldi introduce himself briefly in the 50th as the 13th?[/spoiler]

God, I miss ol' Russell T.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    But here's the thing -- the way I interpreted the 50th is that they all manage to move Gallifrey to a different pocket universe, frozen in time (this will most likely be expanded upon in future episodes). The Daleks blow up themselves. This is an alternative timeline that everyone forgets, including all the previous doctors. In the real timeline, the Hurt doctor does indeed blow up Gallifrey -- that continuity is needed to get the timeline that we have now. So after his farewell with the other two, he boards his Tardis to get back to Gallifrey and blow it up with the Moment (forgetting that he has already saved it in an alternate timeline). BUT.....on his way back, he regenerates -- presumably into Eccleston. So he never gets to do that. WTF?!?

Aaaaaaaaah, but HERE's (I think) the REALLY clever thing: the alternate timeline is NOT the ALTERNATE timeline.
    IT'S THE ACTUAL TIMELINE WE'RE VIEWING!

Remember? At the end of series 5 (David Tennant's last series), Gallifrey ACTUALLY COMES BACK from stasis!
    So it's already happened!
    It's history!
    It never WAS destroyed in this, our timeline!

That kinda leaves the question why Doctor 9 (Eccleston) came away with his guilt complex in the first place, and would suggest that -memory loss and all- HE was actually the one pushing the (alternate timeline) button, destroying Gallifrey.
    Whichy would explain why he was so incredibly dark. Much more so than any other reboot Doctor (including the War Doctor).

Well, it's either that, or Walternate has used The Machine again to open the rift between our worlds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    All the Whos down in Whoville loved Christmas a lot. But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.

dalek
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not so much "Rumour Control" but more rumour-mongering...

Seems like a hell of a confusing way to simply get out of the whole "12 regenerations only" clause.
    It would be a lot easier to just drop a "I'm the Doctor. I can do more" line, and get ON with it!
    There's Daleks to kill!
  7. To be honest, I just think he uses a paper clip and pushes the "reset" button at the base of his sonic screwdriver and everything is sorted.

BTW, here's clips from the 4-CD "Doctor Who - The 50th Anniversary Collection" set that's out on the 9th December (the 11-CD set is out in early 2014).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Anni … mp;sr=1-13
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah...no.

I found the inclusion of classic Who music in this year's Doctor Who In Concert appropriate, but I wouldn't want to listen to it longer than that particular 8 minute suite.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    To be honest, I just think he uses a paper clip and pushes the "reset" button at the base of his sonic screwdriver and everything is sorted.

A technological solution? Too 'Trekkie'! "Just reverse the polarity on the forward shield capacitator to invert their plasma coefficient" "That's IT, Mr. Data! You've done it again!" [End titles]

No, I want Doctor 12 when Davros (or the Cyberking, or the Dalek Emperor, or the High Zwoola of Nafpulon) during the grand and epic climax says "But...but...you're a Time Lord! You can't regenerate beyond twelve times", looking straight into the camera and going something like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Martijn wrote
    Ah...no.

I found the inclusion of classic Who music in this year's Doctor Who In Concert appropriate, but I wouldn't want to listen to it longer than that particular 8 minute suite.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    To be honest, I just think he uses a paper clip and pushes the "reset" button at the base of his sonic screwdriver and everything is sorted.

A technological solution? Too 'Trekkie'! "Just reverse the polarity on the forward shield capacitator to invert their plasma coefficient" "That's IT, Mr. Data! You've done it again!" [End titles]

No, I want Doctor 12 when Davros (or the Cyberking, or the Dalek Emperor, or the High Zwoola of Nafpulon) during the grand and epic climax says "But...but...you're a Time Lord! You can't regenerate beyond twelve times", looking straight into the camera and going something like this.

You made me do this and I apologise for those who have seen this before, but I do hope that this is how Peter Capaldi will approach being the new Doctor (BTW, there's a bit of extreme bad language):

http://youtu.be/5Blf073f2Lc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do hope that this is how Peter Capaldi will approach being the new Doctor

You and me both! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....that was great! Haven't even heard of Malcolm Tucker.

Aaaaaaaaah, but HERE's (I think) the REALLY clever thing: the alternate timeline is NOT the ALTERNATE timeline.
    IT'S THE ACTUAL TIMELINE WE'RE VIEWING!

Remember? At the end of series 5 (David Tennant's last series), Gallifrey ACTUALLY COMES BACK from stasis!
    So it's already happened!
    It's history!
    It never WAS destroyed in this, our timeline!

That's a good point, but it still opens up time paradoxes. How can it be the alternative timeline and the real timeline at the same time? Even if it's DR. WHO and 'timey wimey', it still needs to make some sort of sense. It's not like LOST where sloppy and too ambitious writing resolves into a 'everyone walks into a big white light' that they think automatically resolves everything.

That kinda leaves the question why Doctor 9 (Eccleston) came away with his guilt complex in the first place, and would suggest that -memory loss and all- HE was actually the one pushing the (alternate timeline) button, destroying Gallifrey.
    Whichy would explain why he was so incredibly dark. Much more so than any other reboot Doctor (including the War Doctor).

That's an interesting theory, but I doubt they would/would have conceived it that way, knowing that Eccleston will never return to the role. He won't get that much dramatic 'oomph'.

Well, it's either that, or Walternate has used The Machine again to open the rift between our worlds.

Now THAT I would buy! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    How can it be the alternative timeline and the real timeline at the same time?

Easily, because the Doctor -like any time traveller, can switch between realities simply by being at the right temporal juncture at the right time. He already both HAS and HASN'T destroyed Gallifrey.
    As 10 ands 11 he now remembers both.
    9 and large bits of 10 and 11 (in their own personal time stream, which are as non-linear as you could have!) do not.

It's not really a paradox.
    More of a Schroedinger's box: both options very much exist at the same time (for the Doctor), if NOT for "us", mere mortals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013
    Christmas Special: brilliant last 5 seconds.
    All the rest: no. Just no.
  8. Martijn wrote
    Christmas Special: brilliant last 5 seconds.
    All the rest: no. Just no.

It bordered on being insulting. Throwing a few phrases linking to previous episodes and hoping we would make sense of the cacophony on screen isn't quality programming.

I am looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. I hope he gets the stories he deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013
    yeah
    You know I'm a total apologist and back-doctorer normally, but this episode is even beyond my capabilities.
    Quite boring and nigh-insulting. I completely agree, Alan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013
    I agree with both of you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013
    Well, just saw the Christmas special. That was pretty crappy right there. All-over-the-place and with no real heart and soul. An unfortunate send-off for Smith, and a far cry from Tennant's farewell.

Unsurprisingly, the episode did NOT pick up from the episode prior to the 50th (sorry if I don't remember their names off the top of my head), leaving a HUGE gap in the continuity. Good luck to anyone trying to explain the chronology from the pre-50th to the 50th to the Christmas special! And don't come with no lame-ass excuses that it's all time travel, so anything goes. It still needs to make sense.

Oh well....here's hoping the Capaldi episodes will up the quality a bit. Over the last episodes, I've reaffirmed by skepticism of Moffat and re-ignited my longing for the Davies years.
    I am extremely serious.