• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's funny, isn't it. During Davies' tenure, Moffat's episodes seemed to really shine..."Blink," the library two-parter, Madame de Pompadour, the Blitz/gas-mask-children two-parter (sorry, can't be bothered to find out their real names tongue ), those were all really strong one-off episodes. But when he's given entire season arcs to work with it seems as though he gets snarled up in his own plotlines. It's like he can't handle longer-form narratives.

Weirdly, my interest in Doctor Who is at an all-time low these days. The last thing I watched was the first episode of Season 7 and I simply have no desire to watch it anymore for whatever reason. Don't ask me why. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014 edited
    OK, so the last couple of episodes of this season's WHO are a great example of how the level of writing has plummeted over the last few seasons.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

First of all, what's with bringing the cybermen back AGAIN? They're the least scary of all WHO creatures. Second, they've been used a lot in the 2005 reboot version. What about picking something else this time around?

Same goes for the re-appearance of The Master. Why him AGAIN? I mean, here you have this female bad guy who's a Gallifreyan....what a great opportunity to ressurect, say, Rani? Rani's demise in the original show seemed just as definite as John Simm's demise as The Master in the recent version, so no difference there. I'm sure they could have written her back in, just for diversity's sake, at least. And it would have been a great tribute to Kate O'Mara, who passed away earlier this year.

Finally, the sheer writing of the drama is too streamlined and straightforward. OK, so Davies could go a bit overboard with his complex narratives (Moffat too, in his early days), but this was an anti-climax if there ever was one.

Oh, and of course it was tipped off with an appearance of Nick Frost as Santa Clause for the upcoming Christmas Special. That did it for me. Something really needs to be done to keep this floating. It's a real shame too, because Capaldi is wonderful as the doctor. He just needs better material to work with.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I didn't like the finale episodes, but not a 100% dislike.

Peter Capaldi is what keeps me watching and little else. He is a good Doctor but if he had some good stories he could be great.

My heart sank when I saw Santa.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    Just saw the Christmas special....

Wow, what an utter piece of SHITE that was!

I've never liked Moffat to begin with, but this was at the bottom of the barrell even by his standards. And Murray Gold's overwrought score didn't help either.

I feel sorry for poor Capaldi who has to waste his talents on this crappy stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    shocked

I thought it was really quite good (up until the second 'false ending', which I really didn't enjoy).
    Great dialogue -especially for the most aptly named Nick Frost- and a very fun romp, miles beyond the Christmas specials of years hence!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    When it comes to Doctor Who, Thor's motto springs to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm completely opposite. I haven't seen anything as bad as this in the Who-verse for YEARS, maybe all the way back to before the pre-2005 reboot. Absolutely disgusting and almost offensive in its degradation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting point of view there, which we'll certainly take onboard going forward towards redefining the current paradigm.
    I think though that I'm with Steven on this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Although I didn't really like the use of a Santa character, I thought that this Christmas special way a lot better than previous recent outings.

Though I do keep being annoyed that Clara has made it through another episode. And, I remember when being dead was relatively final in terms of a character's appearance on something. I dislike Danny "here he is again" Pink even more than I dislike Clara.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We need to go deeper.