• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Reviews of Season 3 and Season 4 are now up, thanks to STAVI kiss

- Doctor Who Season 3
    - Doctor Who Season 4

Cheers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Reviews of Season 3 and Season 4 are now up, thanks to STAVI kiss

- Doctor Who Season 3
    - Doctor Who Season 4

Good reviews. smile
    What did Stavi contribute?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

- Doctor Who Season 3
    - Doctor Who Season 4

Cheers

I didn't do anything. shame
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure you've been a source of inspiration to Thomas nevertheless. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited
    Nooo, I don't think so. I just helped a bit with the editing.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Then that's not 'nothing' is it! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Stavroula is a welcome hand in the maintitles review gang! Definitely not 'nothing'. cheesy
    Kazoo
  2. Anyone catch the Doctor Who special at the weekend?

It was an okay episode that I felt was just building up to setting the scene for the 2-parter Christmas Special (mark it in your calendar, Martijn). It was interesting to see The Doctor dabble in the "dark side" and the ending was spinechilling.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Stavroula wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

- Doctor Who Season 3
    - Doctor Who Season 4

Cheers

I didn't do anything. shame

she was the editing helping hand, and it's a hand I'll never let go again kiss
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. A glimpse of this year's Christmas Doctor Who special.

Beware, it's a bit screechy at the start - you may want to turn down your volume!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    I liked the "Waters of Mars" special, especially the chilly ending when [spoiler]Dr. Who almost turns evil.[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just had a chance to see it.
    I wasn't too impressed: it was a bit too linear and too clearly set up to justify the last two minutes.
    I rather liked it as a lead-in to what seems to going to be the Doctor's darkest hour, but on its own, not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also adore that whole space station/monster thingie, so I guess that accounts for why I liked it so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, the setup was quite good, but I kept feeling it was a bit of a rehash of The Impossible Planet, which I liked a lot better for creepiness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, the setup was quite good, but I kept feeling it was a bit of a rehash of The Impossible Planet, which I liked a lot better for creepiness.

Yeah, that's a good one too. Or the one with the spaceship hurling towards the sun. Those premises I love.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    Hey, did anyone see the finale yesterday with Tennant's last stint as the doctor?

I thought it was great.

[spoiler]I especially like how Tennant is allowed to be on his own when he changes (no partners around)....and that he really doesn't want to change (to the extent that he wrecks the Tardis in his desperate attempt to survive). Makes for some powerful stuff befitting one of the most popular doctors in history.[/spoiler]

I'm looking forward to the Matt Smith version. He looks young and lively, a far cry from the grumpy old man that was the first doctor. As long as he manages to contain his quirkiness and geekiness and doesn't merely amount to a teenage heartthrobber that could have been pulled out of THE OC or something, I'm pleased.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited
    Interestingly I was just about to add an entry about the last episode to the Recently Viewed thread about this, but I'll happily continue here.

I liked the plot: it was insanely over the top, but done with panache and fun by all (I love John Simms as The Master.)

I also like the way Doctor Ten, like Thor said, [spoiler]was really, really reluctant to let go[/spoiler]. Very much in keeping with the character! Dalton as [spoiler]Rassilon, wielding the Hand Of Omega[/spoiler]: a very fine treat for Doctor Who oldbies, and something that bodes very, very ill for the Doctor and the Timelords indeed!

Bernard Crippens was excellent again as Wilf, and the way the prophesied end came to pass ("he will knock four times...") was absolutely heart-rending.

Sadly there was a bit to dislike as well:
    The tendency to introduce an epic threat, only for it to be dispelled in about 30 seconds flat.

The "Lady In White" (what the f*ck was THAT all about??? Was that supposed to be [spoiler]Donna as a Timelord [/spoiler](as suggested by another one of Tennants dark, moody and meaningful glances at the end? Or was it supposed to be [spoiler]the Doctor's mum[/spoiler] as suggested by some websites (how the hell did they arrive at THAT conclusion???)).

And I hated the final twenty-minute wankfest. Positively pointless. And ye GODS was it melodramatic. Broodingly meaningful glances. Gold's music finally (and irrevocably) surpassing the point of epic intensity into sheer hyperbole. Ugh!

As to Doctor Eleven...well.... to be fair, I had huge doubts when Tennant took over from Eccleston (whom I still think was bloody marvellous in the role), so I'll uncharacteristically postpone any judgement until the new series in the spring.
    punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bernard Crippens?

Bernard CRIBBENS! biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Comedians, murderers...in the UK the red line is always so thin... shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Comedians, murderers...in the UK the red line is always so thin... shame

biggrin

I also recommend Right Said Fred, inspiration for a 90's band name if I'm not mistaken? cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You may be too deeply dippy for this board.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    You may be too deeply dippy for this board.

No! Too sexy? possibly!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. Dippy. Definitely. Deeply.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I thought it was heart-breaking, but I was well aware that this was its intention anyway, so I am over it now. wink Overall, the story was probably the worst of all season finals and only saved by the unbelievable cast which elavated it as if they had to pull a shakin' spear. Tennant proved again why he is being hailed as the best stage actor of this generation (Don´t laugh - go and watch him as Hamlet first), and the supporting cast was breathtaking. The last twenty minutes RTD did a well done imitation of Jackson´s RotK epilogue, but Tennant´s final line was too much and - in my opinion - a shattering blow to the way this incarnation will be remembered, but if you watched the Confidential, you will certainly agree that Take 4 would have been much worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I thought it was heart-breaking, but I was well aware that this was its intention anyway, so I am over it now. wink Overall, the story was probably the worst of all season finals and only saved by the unbelievable cast which elavated it as if they had to pull a shakin' spear. Tennant proved again why he is being hailed as the best stage actor of this generation (Don´t laugh - go and watch him as Hamlet first), and the supporting cast was breathtaking. The last twenty minutes RTD did a well done imitation of Jackson´s RotK epilogue, but Tennant´s final line was too much and - in my opinion - a shattering blow to the way this incarnation will be remembered, but if you watched the Confidential, you will certainly agree that Take 4 would have been much worse.

Hee hee. smile
    I am on the exact polar opposite of everything you wrote (well. Except on the great cast)! dizzy

I loved the story.
    I found Tennant as Hamlet rather unconvincing (especially when set against Patrick Stewart's superior performance as the King).
    I already expounded on the ridiculous and pointless, WAY too self-referential epilogue (which was really Tennant/Davies saying goodbye. Not the Doctor. Which just makes no sense, especially in such a protracted manner!).
    I loved his final line, which was completely in keeping with Doctor Ten (not the first Doctor to actively resist renewal, but the first one to successfully refuse it (season three)).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmm....OK, I see it's kinda difficult to maintain spoiler tags at this point, so I hope anyone who's not seen the episode will steer clear of this thread untill they've done so.

I veer more towards Martjin's viewpoint, although I enjoyed the ROTK-like ending. It would somehow have felt a bit lacking if he wasn't allowed to say goodbye to some of his major players, given his long and popular stint. I also think it was counterpointed beauitfully by then having to confront his transformation ALONE after that. Kinda puts his various encounters or confidantes in perspective. And of course, also makes the "I don't want to go!" statement all the more powerful. He's basically articulating what every audience member and fan thinks at that exact point.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I think that I was overall satisfied with how David Tennant ended his stint as the Doctor. As with a lot of RTD episodes, it veered from being great to being too sweet and sickly - and the final 20 minutes were, for me, too much of a self-congratulation. But, (on a positive note) maybe saying all the goodbyes may mean that they'll all be laid to rest in the coming new series. A line may have been drawn under all the Tyler family, etc and we can move on.

I personally liked Tennant's final line - the Doctor's enjoyed his current incarnation and it's natural to want to continue.

The show as a whole had too many references to other sci-fi/fantasy and it made the storyline seem a bit of a mix-and-match concoction.

Gold's score for this final two-parter certainly had enough in it for me to want the music as a stand-alone CD: the opening statement of a previously-heard theme was a great and powerful opening, and the (OTT?) statement of the Doctor's theme just as he utters his final words was a great ending.

I notice that a 5-disc DVD release of the specials is due out in mid-January, featuring "The Next Doctor", "Planet of the Dead", "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time - Parts 1 & 2" and features a "Doctor Who At The Proms" extra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, Gold's score was great stuff. I loved that choral, requiem-like music in the finale.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    After having just watched a trailer for the upcoming series of Doctor Who, it looks as though there may be some interesting "baddies" - though my heart sank slightly [spoiler]when I saw a reference to the return (again) of the Daleks[/spoiler].

But, one thing I don't like, is the revamped logo for the series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    And that is wrong WHY???

Isn't that a bit like lamenting the continuous presence of Klingons in Star Trek? Or Blofeld in James Bond films? They're his arch enemies for heaven's sake!