• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. But they seem to be returning with frequent regularity - and getting their metal arses whipped every time. Don't they learn? I know that the same could be said of the likes of Klingons and Blofeld, but part of the feel of the Daleks was their infrequent appearance in the past.

When they did appear, it was an event. Now, it's a feeling of "the Dalek story", "the Cybermen story", etc.

NP: "Ironclad" - Sahara - Clint Mansell

Being in a reflective mood with the coming of 2010, "Ironclad" has to be one of my favourite cues from 2000-2009 (I refuse to refer to this decade as the noughties.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    but part of the feel of the Daleks was their infrequent appearance in the past.

When they did appear, it was an event.

Hmmmm...there's a point.
    There never have been very many Dalek stories with the first seven doctors, have there?
    I can see what you mean.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    but part of the feel of the Daleks was their infrequent appearance in the past.

When they did appear, it was an event.

Hmmmm...there's a point.
    There never have been very many Dalek stories with the first seven doctors, have there?
    I can see what you mean.

I agree with Alan.

p.s. I like the new logo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    I never really liked the Daleks in the first place. Their clanky, 60's style and look makes them totally un-scary, much like the robot in LOST IN SPACE. Same with their cheesy, robotic dialogue. The master ain't that scary either, at least not in Simms' appearance (I'd love to see how Sir Derek Jacobi would have developped the character if he had been allowed more time with it). In fact, there are few "scary" arch nemesis-es (nemeses?). At most, there are certain scary villains in INDIVIDUAL episodes, like those moving statue thingies. THEY really creeped me out.

Speaking of recurrent characters, I'm surprised there haven't been more episodes and plot points about Captain Jack Harkness turning out be The Face of Boe?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ugh.
    Thank God.
    Can't abide the fellow.

Me, I love both the Daleks AND Simms' utterly mad incarnation of The Master.

As someone in another forum put it "he's gone from a bloke I've always considered to be slightly naughty in earlier incarnations to full fledged maniac!".

And although The Daleks Take Manhattan didn't do much to hammer their lethalness home (although I did enjoy that episode in a rather perverse manner), the Eccleston episode Dalek and the Army Of Ghosts episodes really helped in establishing the Daleks' monomanic hatred and appetite for destruction.

Oh. AND their arrogance.
    Cyberman: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
    Dalek : Four.
    Cyberman: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?
    Dalek : We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You are superior in only one respect.
    Cyberman: What is that?
    Dalek : You are better at dying!

GREAT dialogue! applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would be quite happy if Captain Jack ( and John Barrowman ) disappeared into a black hole forever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow. Why the anitpathy towards him? Is it his trademark "smugness"?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

If you lived here Thor it's darn near impossible to escape his self satisfied face on TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

If you lived here Thor it's darn near impossible to escape his self satisfied face on TV.

Oh. I've never seen him anywhere else than in WHO and TORCHWOOD, so I wouldn't know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    [spoiler]I really enjoyed the episode. Marvellous ending, and what a difference with the ending of season one. I watched that episode again, and you see where the doctor is all talking happy cheerful to Rose. "You were brilliant, and you know what? So was I". But this latest episode... omg. "I don't want to go." What a difference, it's like he can be his real self, not pretending in front of others. Superb writing/acting.[/spoiler]
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    Rian wrote
    [spoiler]I really enjoyed the episode. Marvellous ending, and what a difference with the ending of season one. I watched that episode again, and you see where the doctor is all talking happy cheerful to Rose. "You were brilliant, and you know what? So was I". But this latest episode... omg. "I don't want to go." What a difference, it's like he can be his real self, not pretending in front of others. Superb writing/acting.[/spoiler]

Yes, indeed. I got some of the same sensation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    REGENERATION ORIGINS
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    Hm. I never really got that.
    To me it wasn't much different from any other "transmogrification" scene in any other drama, scifi or otherwise.

Maybe this was just a first draft idea?
    I wouldn't know how else to interpret that "hell and dank horror" bit, which seems more like something apt for Altered States, or indeed old Universal classics like The Wolfman or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde than the relatively quick and painless regeneration of the Doctor (especially for the first four doctors, the regeneration was quite quick and easy...once -Troughton to Pertwee (Doctor 2 to 3)- even doled out as a punishment rather than a necessity!).
  2. The final episode of the current series of Doctor Who was shown on BBC One this evening and I can't help think that I'm glad to see the end of it. I never really got into this series (or the music.)

One series too far. Which is a shame - I believe that there's going to be another series.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    I have to agree with you, what a disappointing season this was. It started out all right with the first two episodes, but from then on there really wasn't a single episode that interested me. Or perhaps also the one with [spoiler]Van Gogh[/spoiler] (which they pronounced terribly).

I'm glad to see the season is over, and looking forward to a more entertaining story... or perhaps the show really lacks David Tennant as the showrunner, and it will never recover. Guess we'll see at the Christmas special.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    I haven't warmed to the Matt Smith version either. Too "bubbly". And the stories haven't been that interesting either. Too oldfashioned and less of the serious undertones of the brilliant Russell T. Davies material. The only exception was the spooky episode with the Angels.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    I prefer Matt Smith and Karen Gillan to any of the other Docs and sidekicks I've seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    Steven wrote
    I prefer Matt Smith and Karen Gillan to any of the other Docs and sidekicks I've seen.

Well yeah, Karen Gillian is quite alright, I agree with that.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. This new series of Doctor Who is continuing the hit-and-miss feel of the last series (and earlier?). This pirates episode was "pants".

Looking like it is going to be like episodes of Babylon 5 - every so often when an episode deals with the overreaching story arc it is interesting.

Time to give this series a rest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited
    http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Dr-Chris … story.html

I'm tempted to go down town tonight and have a look.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    EVen though it's still Matt, yeah, I'd be tempted as well.
    Go on, why don't you?
    Take some Dalek snapshots if you can!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    Me n' Mel decided that we will, good excuse to hit a restaurant too. lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    Well, we went down last night plus another friend of ours, it was crowded with Dr Who nuts and we couldn't see much as it was being filmed in a market area full of narrow alleys ( Bregt, Bregje etc might remember it as we walked through there, James S and I both know it as St. Nicholas Market ), saw actors in period costumes ( looked either Edwardian or Victorian ) and a large obelisk (?), some people we talked to met Matt Smith and said he was really nice and was happy to spend time signing autographs, there was a few Paps there too.

We ended up going to a pub I hadn't been to for years, it used to be frequented by bikers and Hells Angels, it's not as good as that anymore but still a pleasent evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cybers and Weeping Angels?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The funny thing is is that I'm in that area again tonight ( me and my quiz buddies at another pub ), I know they're filming for a few days. I've no idea what the episode involves but I'd be much more thrilled to see a Dalek, Angels, Cyberman/men etc than the Doc himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013 edited
    Maybe I've said this before in this thread, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

In any case, my first encounter with DOCTOR WHO was in the mid 80's. We had a cable television package in our house at the time, with access to Super Channel and Sky Channel. One of these channels occasionally showed old WHO serials. I think it was mostly the Tom Baker years, because I remember his attire and curly hair. I remember tuning in briefly, but it didn't connect with me. Too 'cheap' production values with cardboardy props and whatnot. So I brushed it off as too silly for my taste, even as a young kid, and never visited the franchise again.

Fastforward to 2005, when the series was rebooted. I decided to give it another chance, and after a couple of episodes and getting used to the tone, I was intrigued. I've been following the series ever since, and now I consider myself a fan of the new version.

This recent re-discovery of the franchise has prompted an interest in the earlier years as well. Maybe I should give those a second chance too, now that I'm older and wiser? So I've considered starting at the beginning, with the first season in 1963 and 1964.

That was my story. With that in mind, I have three questions to y'all:

1. What is your DOCTOR WHO history?

2. In what season does the show really get good? Is it a good idea to start at the beginning or should I just jump immediately to a later one? With 26 seasons and hundreds of episodes, it's obviously a time-consuming enterprise.

3. The problem with the old incarnations is, of course, that almost 100 episodes are missing, so the question is -- what am I missing in terms of continuity?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013
    Oh my, where to start?

I'll try and think of a more concise response than the question would generally warrant from me and revert.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013
    I'll wait until Martijn's given a long and detailed response to which I'll say ' I agree with Martijn' wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013 edited
    Yeah, I realize it's probably three overwhelming questions for hardcore fans, but it's always useful to get some guidance when you're starting out in such a massive undertaking -- the world's longest-running series, I think (or at least sci fi series).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'll have a think too. But the recent years have been getting steadily poorer from the good Eccleston and Tennant highlights since the "reboot".