• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013
    I really like Matt Smith but the stories are not strong.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote

Exactly. Tonight's episode: what? I'd like them to make a toy of tha baddie from that episode.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I like neither, sadly.
    Although I really enjoyed last year's Christmas Special!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    1. What is your DOCTOR WHO history?

I actually was first confronted with Doctor Who at roughly age ten, by a series of children's novels from my library.
    I had NO idea who this "Doctor" fellow was, and why he was at odds with this "Master" bloke, but the front featured dinosaurs, spaceships and robots. So obviously I was enthralled!

Fastforward about three or four years and Dutch TV suddenly decided to air Doctor Who, starting, for no apparent reason, somewhere in the middle of a season featuring the fifth Doctor, Peter Davidson.
    Clearly the format and/or the concept didn't hit home as the series was pulled again after about ten episodes (I *did* get to see Cybermen, though!), but ever since then Peter Davidson has remained my Doctor (and in this I'm in good company, too!)

2. In what season does the show really get good? Is it a good idea to start at the beginning or should I just jump immediately to a later one? With 26 seasons and hundreds of episodes, it's obviously a time-consuming enterprise.

That's utterly unanswerable.
    The series has varied wildly in scope, setup, style, tone and quality over the decades.
    It started in 1963 as a series that needed to be eductaional to young viewers, so there was a strong undercurrent of scientific and historic information. However that was let go later on to allow purely for entertainment and science fiction.
    It was generally still targetted to a younger audience, and with special effects being what they were (a handheld torch and a cardborard saucer), it's hard to look at any of the seven Doctors in this day and age.

That's not to say there were no good episodes!
    At its best, any of the Doctors could rival any of the truly excellent British TV drama of the day.
    But to recommend any series is impossible (if only because it greatly depends on your preference for a certain Doctor. For example, for some reason I thoroughly dislike Doctor 7 (Sylvester McCoy), yet some of the finest stories are in his series).

The series was pulled after his performance (having been in trouble since the early days of Doctor 6, and a BBC director who didn't think the concept was "suitable" for "serious television"), but the Doctor was revived (so to speak) as Doctor 8 (Paul McGan) in a really rather poor TV movie.

And that spelled the end of the Timelord for about a decade and the 2007 reboot.
    I would sincerely recommend you stick to the reboots, though.
    Until Matt Smith (whom I fear is aimed at a much younger audience again), the stories were more modern, polished and appealing to an adult state of mind (while still scaring the beejesus out of kids at times!).

3. The problem with the old incarnations is, of course, that almost 100 episodes are missing, so the question is -- what am I missing in terms of continuity?

Yeah, well. Not all that much that's really of particular import.
    Of course a reference to an old foe (the Nestene Hivemind, the Sontarans, the Silurians) won't make much sense to you if you're seeing him for the first time. But [pun not intended] who cares? It's clear enough soon enough who's who and what's what. For an old-time fan it's just the extra thrill of recognition. But that's all.

There's only two things that I think may have had some better exposure/explanation:
    One was the role of U.N.I.T. (the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, set up during the Third Doctor, who was banished to Earth and forced to remain there.
    Had nothing to do with lack of funds for special effects. Honest.)
    The Doctor worked very closely together with that international tasforce to stop invaders, evil masterminds and assorted intergalactic and transdimensional riff-raff, and became fast friends with Brigadier-General Lethbridge-Stuart (you couldn't make these things up!)

There's been quite a few references to that in the new series which would go right over your head if you haven't had the prior knowledge.

Secondly was Rassilon/Omega and his power gauntlet, who was first introduced during the Fifth Doctor, but had recurring appearances, and an absolutely pivotal role during the last series of Doctor Ten (David Tennant), which actually made very little sense if you have no idea who the character is supposed to be!

So. Yeah.
    Too long.
    As expected.
    dalek
    Summary: stick with Doctor Nine and Doctor Ten. Approach Eleven with care.
    Have a look now and again at any of the older series if you happen upon them. Don't go out of your way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesomeness! Thanks a lot, Martijn. It's like reading an edited wiki entry. Am I right to assume you've seen every single (available) episode? There's, like, 700 of them or something.

FYI, I've seen every single episode since it was revived with Eccleston. I've also seen the very first episode from 1963, where they have a run-in with prehistoric cavemen. But I've seen nothing inbetween.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Am I right to assume you've seen every single (available) episode? There's, like, 700 of them or something.

shocked Good Lord! shocked
    How old, rich or free in leisure time do you think I am?
    Of course not!

Ever since I gained an interest I did some research online to get some sort of representative choice for each series. Didn't get too far: too time consuming, too expensive.

I did see some worthwhile episodes though (though mainly interesting due to the historical and 'under water' notes on the DVD. And of course I read a shitload about it in the meantime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013 edited
    (I did see most all of the Dalek episodes, though.
    I *like* Daleks! shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    1. What is your DOCTOR WHO history?

I became a follower of classic DOCTOR WHO in 1980 when (aged 12 going on 13) my local public broadcasting station was airing Tom Baker's initial 4 seasons (1975 - 1978).

By the autumn of 1981, I had seen the remaining 3 seasons of Tom Baker ('78-'81).

In 1983, my local station began to screen only those Jon Pertwee serials which were at that time complete within the BBC archives.

Finally, by 1985, the extant William Hartnell serials were being shown, due largely to a U.S.A. fanbase eager to consume any and all DOCTOR WHO. smile

All this while, I was of course following the latest seasons produced by John Nathan-Turner and was just beginning to see the Colin Baker shows after having seen all 3 seasons of Peter Davison between '82 & '84.

[since Sylvester McCoy appeared in 1987 in quite a re-vamped programme format, I no longer followed DOCTOR WHO productions from that point on. The era of stagey & theatrical WHO had irrevocably passed on and I've not even watched any of the "reboot"s from these most recent years]
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    Thor wrote
    2. In what season does the show really get good? Is it a good idea to start at the beginning or should I just jump immediately to a later one? With 26 seasons and hundreds of episodes, it's obviously a time-consuming enterprise.

Thor, I can highlight those seasons of classic WHO which are most satisfying to me, but whether they are "good" is all subjective.

If you have attempted in the past to view Irwin Allen shows from the 1960s as well as classic STAR TREK and could not 'connect' with their content and/or styles, then I don't expect you like any classic DOCTOR WHO.

A different mindset is required. Imagine, if you will Thor, that you were born in 1957 in England and that you are amongst the first generation of children to witness the Daleks in 1964. "Dalekmania" was transpiring in school yards in the same year that The Beatles impacted global pop music.
    The Daleks - with their non-human shapes and monotone raspy voices - represented authoritarian figures.
    Whether the Daleks were symbolic of strict parents commanding children to eat their vegetables and wash behind their ears, or they symbolized a larger & more serious threat such as Nazi forces destructing the London of their not-too-distant past, is anybody's guess. WHOvians of the baby-boom generation (some of whom by now are senior citizens) could best answer that.

Anyway, my point is that it's not 'cricket' to critique a 50-year old programme by 21st century standards.
    I think that classic WHO requires its viewers to be sympathetic towards its meager origins (.i.e from a time period before personal computers and the internet), when audiences were willing to use their imagination to fill in the gaps of the overall artifice left by limitations of budget and technology.
    If one is going into the programme in one's mid-thirties and expecting Ridley Scott production design, then one is bound to be frustrated when vintage serials fail to deliver this type of visually and aurally convincing reality that one's come to expect from the genre.

Indeed, DOCTOR WHO's strengths are its characterization, dialogue and performances. Its successes are not achievements in sci-fi, but, rather, in the theatrical values of a bygone pre-CGI era.
    Notice that the beginning title sequences credit the writer first and upfront, while all other personnel receive their credits at the end.

All this above exposition on my part should serve as a foundation for how one can appreciate classic WHO and also as a basis for explaining my favorite seasons, which follow:

-) the First Season (1963-'64), William Hartnell's era commences
    -) the Seventh Season (1970), the first season for both colour transmission and Jon Pertwee's incarnation
    -) the Fourteenth Season (1976-'77), Tom Baker's 3rd season, in which Baker comes into his own
    -) the Sixteenth Season "The Key To TIme" (1978-'79) Tom Baker's umbrella-themed 5th season

... and to a lesser extent ...

-) the Twenty-second season (1985), Colin Baker's 1st season altered episodes' duration from 24 minutes to 45 minutes.

Favorite stories from the above seasons:

"An Unearthly Child" (1963) is a well-written introduction to the series as a whole. The Doctor is depicted as a curmudgeon whilst the unwitting guest passenger teachers Ian (science) and Barbara (history) absorb the concepts of Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

"The Aztecs" (1964) is a superbly written (by John Lucarotti) historical serial. No sci-fi at all, but a literate & well-paced brew of Machiavelian manipulations and Shakespearian performances and flute & percussion music by Richard Rodney Bennett (his only work on the programme).

"Doctor Who and the Silurians" (1970): a 7-part serial which witnesses the recently exiled-to-Earth Doctor as an ambivalent scientific advisor to a military U.N.I.T., accompanied by a liberated female scientist who doesn't scream when monsters surface.
    Scriptwriter Malcolm Hulke injects doses of anti-establishment barbs into this tale of hibernating reptiles who awake to claim their planet Earth away from us trespassing upstart primates.

"Inferno" (1970) is another 7-part serial in which writer Don Houghton depicts pig-headed scientists and fascist military regimes hell-bent to bore down into the Earth's crust for energy resources, with primordial & apocalyptic results. Acidic sarcasm co-exists with grave events.

"The Masque Of Mandragora" (1976) is a most satisfying serial (to me) which "hits" all the DOCTOR WHO bases: sci-fi, history, political intrigue, anti-religion stance, supernatural horror, wise-cracking verbal insults, with references to and borrowings from genre cinema. Writer Louis Marks has a spiral of Helix energy highjack the TARDIS to the Italian Renaissance to prevent the age of enlightenment and tumble humanity backwards via worship in a pre-Christian religious cult.

"The Face Of Evil" (1977) is my favorite story and the one which I like to recommend to viewers who are new to the series. Tom Baker's Doctor lands on a jungle planet (solo, with no companion) only to encounter a primitive tribe and, later on, a group of technicians who belong to the same race subject to a schizophrenic computer conducting an experiment while having an identity crisis - a crisis which the Doctor himself is responsible for! A zenith of TV sci-fi and the science vs. religion topic, written by Chris Boucher.

The first half of "The Key To Time" season is all good stuff: "The Ribos Operation" by Robert Holmes deals with real estate in space and intergalactic con-men frauding local royalty, with a Galileo-type character banished into the catacombs for daring to suggest that planets are spherical.
    "The Pirate Planet" is written by Douglas Adams and is a most entertaining blend of college humor with head-scratching science concepts, delivered via such high camp mugging as only the British can attain.
    David Fisher's "The Stones Of Blood" is another "hits the spot" serial which stews together such diverse ingredients as Celtic paganism, blood-draining granite life-forms, femme fatales, and a hyperspace prison ship which also functions as a court for tribunal proceedings via electronic justices!

Mind you, there's a number of other favorite serials I have which are between the seasons I've spotlighted.
    However, let me finish with Pip & Jane Baker's "Mark Of The Rani" (1985), which is another successful combo in more than one respect: husband & wife writers create a female villain called The Rani to play against The Master whose 'plot' this time is to circumvent the Industrial Revolution of the mid-1800s. This allows yet another DOCTOR WHO yarn to marry sci-fi ideas with historical settings - in my opinion the best of both possible worlds with which to represent the series. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the recommendations, Cobweb. I've already seen "The Unearthly Child".

I realize, of course, that there's no point going into this expecting current standards of production design, acting etc. But as I'm interested in artistic expressions from all eras, I can picture myself having an "academic interest" in it, at the very least. Whether I will be engrossed in the narrative or not is another issue.

I have this thing that once I get interested in something, I want to see EVERYTHING that has been made in the franchise -- the good, the bad and the ugly. In this case, however, I probably need to be more selective.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    But as I'm interested in artistic expressions from all eras, I can picture myself having an "academic interest" in it, at the very least. Whether I will be engrossed in the narrative or not is another issue.

That's nice to hear!

So even if you are not drawn to these early shows on a personal level, you can approach them with a sort of documentary/archival mindset.

Regarding those missing episodes, most of them are from the black-and-white serials from the '60s.
    Most of Patrick Troughton's stories are incomplete, though there's still a number of William Hartnell stories missing too.

It is possible to watch ALL the serials from 1970 through 1989, starting with Jon Pertwee's "Spearhead From Space" (although a few no longer exist in color: "The Mind Of Evil").

Watching as many as you can could also be of interest on other levels, too. You can observe how all the early seasons are indoors on studios (and shot by large clunky video cameras which sometimes bump into props or their own cables). On location footage was shot on 16mm film stock then later integrated into the narrative, the bulk of which was shot on video tape in studio sets. Many actor 'flubs' remain unedited. smile
    Another thing to observe is the reactions against the show by television management and censors.
    I believe her name was Mary Whitehouse - the woman who objected to some of Tom Baker's grittier scenes, such as a drowning depicted as the cliffhanger for episode 3 of "The Deadly Assassin".

Maybe the history which accompanies DOCTOR WHO might in some cases be more interesting than the stories themselves. smile

Are you able to rent the DVDs in Norway, Thor? The BBC DVDs typically have a lot of extras, and each serial has audio commentary and some "making of" vignettes.

[as for the continuity, typically there's a change of companion from one season to another. Otherwise, there's not much continuity missing from the remaining Patrick Troughton stories since most of them were alien monsters invading a base of some sort. The Doctor had very little background info between '63 & '69 and was very much a mystery figure. It wasn't until 1970 onwards that the Time Lords and their planet Gallifrey became a semi-regular feature of the series, and the show's 1980s producer John-Nathan Turner frequently heaped too much continuity onto the programme.]
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I'll wait until Martijn's given a long and detailed response to which I'll say ' I agree with Martijn' wink

So what are Timmer's favorite classic WHO stories?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But Thor, if you do indeed want to see everything, why would you ask for recommendations?

Like Cobweb, I greatly enjoy watching classic Who on the BBC DVDs which are awash with historical notes of interest on production, behind-the-scenes looks, et cetera. But it would be prohibitively expensive purchasing them all.
    What's your intention?
    Buy? Borrow/hire?
    Or 'ways not of the Jedi'?

The last way of course will ensure that you will indeed be able to watch all there is available, but you'll miss out on the great DVD presentations.

I could give you a list of classic Who I enjoyed, but would that help?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'll wait until Martijn's given a long and detailed response to which I'll say ' I agree with Martijn' wink

So what are Timmer's favorite classic WHO stories?

I'll join in very soon and let you know.

In the meantime here's some info on the infamous MARY WHITEHOUSE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have a friend who has LOTS of sci fi DVD's, including DR. WHO. I'll have to ask him what he's got. Then I might seek out various VOD services online and similar fare. Getting to see it all seems like an impossible task, but I might get to see the 'classics', at least.

By the way, last night's episode was quite bad. The singing and the mummy and all that. That was even too whacked-out for my taste. But I've come to accept an episode like that now and again. The next one looks much better, with the submarine action.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know that old foes the Ice Warriors are returning this series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

Hmmm ... no update from Timmer yet.

Let me stir the pot a little in jest, and hope to prompt some response. smile

Top 5 classic WHO

Timmer's favorite William Hartnell: "The Gunfighters"
    Timmer's favorite Patrick Troughton: "The Dominators"
    Timmer's favorite Jon Pertwee: "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs"
    Timmer's favorite Tom Baker: "The Power Of Kroll"
    Timmer's favorite Peter Davison: "Time-Flight"

[let The Happiness Patrol fire away!]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hmmm ... no update from Timmer yet.

Let me stir the pot a little in jest, and hope to prompt some response. smile

Top 5 classic WHO

Timmer's favorite William Hartnell: "The Gunfighters"
    Timmer's favorite Patrick Troughton: "The Dominators"
    Timmer's favorite Jon Pertwee: "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs"
    Timmer's favorite Tom Baker: "The Power Of Kroll"
    Timmer's favorite Peter Davison: "Time-Flight"

[let The Happiness Patrol fire away!]

applause

Actually this is quite interesting to me, it points out how much I don't remember at all, so without looking anything up here's what I remember.

William Hartnell is a very dim and distant memory and except for the episodes where the Doctors came together ( in the early 80's?? ) I really can't think of anything concrete.

Patrick Troughton is pretty vague too, I remember him with an affection that I can't remember why, I remember him fighting Ice Warriors, Yeti's ( what was that metal ball thing in their bellies? ) and Cybermen.

It's Jon Pertwee that I remember most well, Doctor Who and The Demons being a favourite, Sarah Jane joining as his companion ( after Jo ), loved that Dandy look and his car ( Betsy? )

Tom Baker is probably my all time favourite, giant robots, sea devils, daleks, Davros, a shame that later episode stories let this excellent incarnation down.

After this I only dipped my foot into various DW episodes, I lost interest until the 2005 revamp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    It's Jon Pertwee that I remember most well, Doctor Who and The Demons being a favourite, Sarah Jane joining as his companion ( after Jo ), loved that Dandy look and his car ( Betsy? )

Typical John Barry fan. rolleyes

Jon Pertwee's yellow roadster is named "Bessie", but it got mis-remembered by Timmer and replaced by the title of a film that John Barry scored.

Quick - reverse the polarity of Timmer's neural flow. smile

Seriously, though, as a film music buff, Timmer, you should do yourself a favor and revisit some classic WHO.
    The early Hartnell serials in particular had the finest pedigree of composers before Dudley Simpson settled in by 1969 as the in-house composer for WHO.

Tristram Cary, Francis Chagrin, Stanley Myers, R.R. Bennett, and (for a lost serial) one by Humphrey Searle were the level of composers in WHO's initial 3 seasons.

Here's a few snippets to whet the appetite of the TV music fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBq3mok … detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_Dr1gP … detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … GDccs6LpKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJaDRJ2j … detailpage
  2. Looking though these Doctor Who clips I came across this set of clips of Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Peter Davidson being interviewed by Sue Lawley on an old Nationwide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVsEfpokusk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    All the William Hartnell stuff is now in the house, thanks to my friend! I'll report once I've seen through a considerable amount of the material.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Typical John Barry fan. rolleyes

Jon Pertwee's yellow roadster is named "Bessie", but it got mis-remembered by Timmer and replaced by the title of a film that John Barry scored.

Quick - reverse the polarity of Timmer's neural flow. smile

Seriously, though, as a film music buff, Timmer, you should do yourself a favor and revisit some classic WHO.
    The early Hartnell serials in particular had the finest pedigree of composers before Dudley Simpson settled in by 1969 as the in-house composer for WHO.

Tristram Cary, Francis Chagrin, Stanley Myers, R.R. Bennett, and (for a lost serial) one by Humphrey Searle were the level of composers in WHO's initial 3 seasons.

Here's a few snippets to whet the appetite of the TV music fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBq3mok … detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_Dr1gP … detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … GDccs6LpKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJaDRJ2j … detailpage

What a fine selection of composers worked on the early Who's, do you know anywhere I can find out, who scored what episodes? I never liked the plinky-plonky shrill electronics of later episodes.

As for catching up on those early episodes? Sure, when I find the time.

p.s. Was it Jon Pertwee who first quoted 'reverse the polarity'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013
    Thor wrote
    All the William Hartnell stuff is now in the house, thanks to my friend! I'll report once I've seen through a considerable amount of the material.

Very nice of your friend!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    What a fine selection of composers worked on the early Who's, do you know anywhere I can find out, who scored what episodes? I never liked the plinky-plonky shrill electronics of later episodes.

As for catching up on those early episodes? Sure, when I find the time.

p.s. Was it Jon Pertwee who first quoted 'reverse the polarity'?

Yes, that's it. Jon Pertwee coined the phrase "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".

There's no doubt a number of online episode guides which will credit all the personnel for each serial.
    But you'll need to click on each episode to read them.

From my memory, here's a handy summary of incidental music from seasons One through Three:

Season One

"An Unearthly Child" music by Norman Kay
    "The Daleks" radiophonic music by Tristram Cary and the BBC Workshop
    "Edge Of Destruction" stock
    "Marco Polo" instrumental music by Tristram Cary [lost serial]
    "Keys Of Marinus" by Norman Kay
    "The Aztecs" by Richard Rodney Bennett
    'The Sensorites" by Norman Kay
    "Reign Of Terror" by Stanley Myers

Season Two

"Planet Of Giants" by Dudley Simpson [yup! his first WHO]
    "Dalek Invasion Of Earth" by Francis Chagrin
    "The Rescue" stock (recycles Cary's music from "The Daleks")
    "The Romans" by Raymond Jones
    "The Web Planet" stock
    "The Crusades" by Dudley Simpson
    "The Space Museum" stock
    "The Chase" by Dudley Simpson
    "The Time Meddler" by Charles Botterill

Season Three

"Galaxy Four" stock
    "Mission To The Unknown" stock
    "The Myth Makers" by Humphrey Searle [lost serial]
    "The Daleks' Master Plan" instrumental music by Tristram Cary
    "The Massacre" stock
    "The Ark" stock
    "The Celestial Toymaker" by Dudley Simpson [lost serial]
    "The Gunfighters" ballad by Tristram Cary
    "The Savages" by Raymond Jones [lost serial]
    "The War Machines" stock
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013
    From memory? I am most impressed! beer

I'm guessing that none of the Searle music exists anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    From memory? I am most impressed! beer

I'm guessing that none of the Searle music exists anymore?

Yeah - I typed that up after I ate my dinner. smile

Even though the actual video tapes of THE MYTH MAKERS have been erased, one of the show's fans actually tape recorded each segment when it was originally transmitted.
    These are the sources of the volumes of CD sets issued by the BBC radio collection about 10 years ago. Plus the sound quality is better than one might expect (although not ideal, of course, but it's all we got).

Here's an image of THE MYTH MAKERS CD:

http://images.angusrobertson.com.au/ima … purves.jpg

Don't expect Hammer horror, though - THE MYTH MAKERS is a historical comedy, but it's nevertheless very welcome.
    Actually, Searle scored more comedies from the late 1950s than any other type of film within his very short filmography (a dozen film scores).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Daleks.....cute or not?

Discuss.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Exterminate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Sure they are.

*squeeee*
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013 edited
    He, he....indeed. Or these .

I've always found them kinda cute -- not only in their appearance, but also in their single-minded, simplistic way of thinking.

(incidentally, I'm now almost through the second season of DR. WHO. Still another one with William Hartnell to go).
    I am extremely serious.