• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Both Peter Davidson (Doctor 5) and David Tennant (Doctor 10) really take the effort to channel earlier doctors when they've not entirely "settled" into their new incarnations yet. Especially their hints towards Hartnell are excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013 edited
    And so I've finished all of William Hartnell's episodes. Even the missing ones (in reconstructed versions with stills and sound only). Well, most of it is ridiculous cheese and at times even painful to watch, but every once in a while a good episode comes along. One of the best was actually a missing one, "Marco Polo". I also liked the last one, "The Tenth Planet", which also featured the first appearance of the Cybermen...in a slightly different design than what we're used to today.

Musically, there were some interesting things there. I was especially intrigued by Tristam Cary's material (some eerie, avantgarde electronic textures) and some of the historical pastiche cues by the likes of Dudley Simpson.

Now it's on to Patrick Troughton, although 90% of these will be reconstructed 'still' images as most of them are missing.

Oh....and I still think the Daleks are enormously cute. cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    Hi, Thor.

Glad you at least liked "Marco Polo."

That serial's director - Waris Hussein - considers it his best work on DOCTOR WHO, plus a viewer comes to expect high-calibre writing from any script by John Lucarotti. smile

I'm curious, though, Thor - are you watching the "lost" serials via YouYube videos?
    "Marco Polo" is not on DVD. And if you are watching the BBC DVDs, are you also looking at the special 'making-of' bonus features?

At this distance in time (and from a different nationality), you may dismiss early WHO as cheese but please bear in mind also that Hartnell's 2nd season had very high viewer ratings/figures.
    Cheese or not, DOCTOR WHO was "hot" in 1965 - enough so that Amicus made 2 feature films of WHO with Peter Cushing.

I am also curious, Thor, whether all British television from this time period is painful for you to watch (meaning the early/primitive video tape technology of the times), or do you think that it is because WHO was deemed a children's programme?

You may want to check out some early video tape segments of THE AVENGERS from 1963 or 1964 (with Honor Blackman as Cathy Gale) to see if you consider those just as cringe-worthy or not as WHO?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013 edited
    Well, I haven't seen that much British television from the period. It's not really my thing. There are some excellent British FILMS in that period, though, but that's a different matter.

I went in very "mentally prepared", expecting cardboard walls to waver, people to die hilarious and overwrought deaths, people with nylon stockings over their heads etc., and I did indeed get all of that and more. So the challenge was to see beyond it and into the storytelling itself. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. The episodes I thought were pretty decent and that I could connect to on some level were "The Edge of Destruction", "Marco Polo", "The Sensorites", "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", bits of "The Chase" and "The Time Meddler". "Mission to the Unknown" was cool as a prologue to the epic "The Dalek Master Plan" (which had very uneven episodes). "The War Machines" introduced some interesting A.I. ideas two years before Kubrick's 2001, even though the realization was at times hokey. And I did enjoy "The Tenth Planet". But even in the episodes I liked, there was always a sense of academic distance.

A really great thing was when they referenced the larger 'story arc', referring to previous encounters etc. I love when shows do that....and of course, that's how the new WHO is designed.

I am watching some of the existing episodes on DVD. The missing episodes I have to find online (Youtube, downloads etc.).

I am looking forward to the BBC dramatization of William Hartnell's life and work on the series later on in the year, as part of the 50th anniversary. He seemed like a fascinating fellow, but I haven't been able to find any "real" footage of him (interviews and such).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thanks for your thoughts, Thor.

If I may ask a partially-off-topic question: did Norway produce television programs on film or video tape or both during the 1960s?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    There is a difference in quality regarding British television, especially prior to the 1980s.

The BBC was one of the major players in the U.K., of course, but other TV Networks (primarily ITV) had larger budgets and shot TV series on film.

Many of them have been released onto DVD sets via the Network label, such as THE SAINT & DANGER MAN & quite a number of lesser-known items like GIDEON'S WAY:

http://static3.thcdn.com/productimg/0/6 … 764000.jpg

Other productions were shot on tape, like "A for Andromeda" & those Quatermass serials.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eL1j9s5Ry8M/T … ont+RT.jpg

With THE AVENGERS, the series had both! THE AVENGERS started out in 1961 on tape and did not transition to filmed episodes until the 1965 season.

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107040362 … er-art.jpg

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/cover_ … er65-4.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Thanks for your thoughts, Thor.

If I may ask a partially-off-topic question: did Norway produce television programs on film or video tape or both during the 1960s?

Yes, we did. NRK (our BBC) was officially established in 1933, but their television branch came about in 1960, some years after its English and American counterparts. Some drama institutions at the time were the "Monday film" (either Scandinavian or imported) and "Detektimen" (The Detec Hour") -- a given crime show, also usually imported from abroad. Both of these lasted for many decades. Still exist, in a way, even though they no longer have those names.

In terms of self-produced drama, perhaps the biggest thing was "Fjernsynsteatret" ("The Television Theater") -- various stageplays filmed for broadcast. Much of it was rather stale, and cannot really be compared to the anthology shows in the US at the time (or Britain, for that matter). This was shot on videotape.

For 32 years, we really only had ONE NRK channell and that was it (unless you had cable). The only science fiction television series we have produced that I can think off of the top of my head is "Blindpassasjer" ("Stowaway") in 1978.

So in that respect, it's interesting to see how well-versed you were in Britain and the US at the time -- despite the 'cheap' production values by today's standards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013 edited
    Wow, the season finale was really great, with a few surprises up its sleeve -- even though [spoiler] the name wasn't revealed (contrary to the episode's name)[/spoiler]. Don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. In fact, even the text in spoiler tags isn't much of a spoiler, but I hid it nonetheless.

Can't wait for the continuation on November 23rd.

Meanwhile, I'm working steadily through the old shows. I'm currently about to start season 5 (the second doctor), which has a lot of reconstructions. I'm guessing it will take me up to a year to get through everything.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I thought that the finale was okay. I liked the pre-titles sequence a lot but, as with most of the recent episodes, promising beginnings lead to a rushed second half.

Too much utter gobbledygook to move the plot on. I am sure the plots didn't rely so much on made-up ideas to explain grand leaps in the plot.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013
    An annoying thing with these old WHO shows is that everyone is constantly screaming or speaking VERY LOUDLY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited
    I've just seen the episode "The Enemy of the World" and I was flabbergasted by the fantastic score here and there. Full-bodied orchestral music in a modernistic vein sounding kinda like Jerry Goldsmith. Nothing like the rather mean and lean scores of the previous episodes. No composer was listed, so I went to Wikipedia and saw......it was existing music by friggin' Bela Bartok! He, he, no wonder it was unusually brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    Ouch. "Fury from the Deep" - evil seaweed inside evil bathing foam. Silliest WHO episode yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    "The Mind Robber" -- Oh Geez. After a decent first episode, it quickly spirals. The last episode is pure goofy silliness. Watching these early WHO episodes is somewhat of a frustration. Some of the serials are OK, others are plain painful to watch. But I have to get through them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    "The Seeds of Death" --- funny to see the ice warriors releasing a deadly seed over OSLO! Other than that, this was a pretty good corker of an episode, at least by early WHO standards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    Hi, Thor.

You are approaching the end of Patrick Troughton's tenure. Just one more serial and you'll be at the 10-part season finale "The War Games".

Troughton (and/or the production team during Troughton's time) has been my least favorite period of 'classic' WHO. It was after 1966 that WHO abandoned the historical serials and concentrated solely on sci-fi. But this maneuver is not the reason for my disenchantment. The producers & writers recycled plots (an isolated base under attack from alien enemies) too frequently and Troughton's space-hobo interpretation of the Doctor lowered, I think, the series' standards rather than enhanced them.

Detractors of DOCTOR WHO who accuse the programme of being "hoary" can likely select any Troughton episode as an example to support their position.

I do hope, Thor, that the exiled-to-Earth scenario of the subsequent Jon Pertwee serials will aid in the appreciation of 70s DOCTOR WHO (colour, more on-location work, action sequences, etc.).

On the flipside, some viewpoints (such as those by John Kenneth Muir) consider the introduction of the Time Lords in "The War Games" to remove the element of mystery of 1960s Doctor Who.

So there's pros and cons to everything.

Having said this, though, it seems to me, Thor, that those serials which you do like are rather opposite of my own likes. I could never get "into" any of 'classic' WHO's Ice Warrior stories. I'm curious about what does "The Seeds Of Death" have which you like and how this contrasts with those serials you consider "painful"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013 edited
    Funny you should mention it, Cobweb, as I just now saw the last episode of "The War Games". This was actually a pretty decent serial, although it was stretched out about 4 episodes too much. I became unusually involved, emotionally, in the last few scenes as he stands trial and his transformation begins (although we don't see the end result) -- despite never really having connected to the doctor in previous episodes. Maybe it's something that happens automatically when you've stuck with a character for a period of time.

I actually like the 'base under siege' concept, as it relates to a sub-genre favourite of mine -- the "confined space drama". However, I would agree with you that the concept was repeated a bit too often during the fifth season, in particular.

While I do like several of the historical episodes, I think some of them became a bit boring and talkative at times. So the more full-on sci fi of the Troughon era actually appealed to me.

I do like those episodes that at least have SOME sense of scariness and seriousness in them -- despite the cheap production values. Stuff like the "Toy Maker" episode and the similar "The Mind Robber" are really far too camp for me. Or that "Fury from the Deep" with the evil sea weed in evil bathing foam.

I enjoyed both Dalek episodes - "The Power of the Daleks" & "The Evil of the Daleks". Loved the spidery monsters of "The Macra Terror". "The Faceless Ones" was pretty good, and both of the Ice Warrior serials. Both marathon serials "The Invasion" and "The War Games" were engrossing. And although it was a bit longwinded, I think "The Enemy of the World" was a nice change-of-pace from the 'bases under siege' concept. More of a political thriller with elements of LOGAN'S RUN.

In any case, looking forward to embarking on the THIRD doctor now -- Jon Pertwee's era. In COLOUR! 7 years down, 43 more to go. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    I actually like the 'base under siege' concept, as it relates to a sub-genre favourite of mine -- the "confined space drama". However, I would agree with you that the concept was repeated a bit too often during the fifth season, in particular...
    In any case, looking forward to embarking on the THIRD doctor now -- Jon Pertwee's era. In COLOUR! 7 years down, 43 more to go. biggrin

Oh yes - the confined space drama works particularly well in several Tom Baker serials from 1977, like "The Robots Of Death" and "Horror Of Fang Rock".
    However, with Patrick Troughton serials it was basically alien monsters invading whilst there's more psychological fear ahead during Tom Baker's tenure.

But that's getting too ahead of your schedule. With the Jon Pertwee serials, I feel his earliest shows were the most hard-hitting of the lot:

7th Season

Spearhead From Space
    Doctor Who and the Silurians
    The Ambassadors Of Death
    Inferno

+

8th Season

Terror Of The Autons
    The Mind Of Evil
    The Claws Of Axos
    Colony In Space
    The Daemons

From "Spearhead" through "Claws", the Doctor's character is resentful of the Time Lords for exiling him in one place and one time. His attitude towards the Brigadier of U.N.I.T., for example, is one of reluctant alliance with a military mind of lesser intelligence than his own Time Lord intellect.

This format works well at bringing the Doctor "home" to viewers in the audience: that is, the contemporary 20th century Earth setting. But it was doomed to end soon as it imposed severe limitations on the actual concept of TARDIS.

By "Colony In Space", the Time Lords allow the Doctor to travel in the TARDIS again (but only under assignment for them!).

Season 8 is also significant for the creation of The Master as a continuing villain and for composer Dudley Simpson, who scored all 5 serials with the BBC's then-new synthesizer.

As for 43 years yet to go - don't worry - 1990 through 2004 will pass by with a finger snap. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    "The Three Doctors" -- now that was fun! Of course, it's really more like the TWO doctors, since Hartnell is only shown in brief cameos on a television screen (he was too ill to have a real acting role). Still, it had to be a pretty big deal at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    It was. I especially like the First Doctor's disdain for hiw successors: "a hobo and a dandy?" biggrin
    Overall I like the crossover episodes, with different doctors crossing each other's time stream.
    Generally these aren't the greatest plots, but they do often yield the best dialogues.

Harkening quickly back to the Troughton years: what did you think of Tomb Of The Cybermen?
    Even to this day, I thought the Cybermen coming back to life, and rippingt their way through their sarcophaguses' membranes is incredibly creepy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    It was. I especially like the First Doctor's disdain for hiw successors: "a hobo and a dandy?" biggrin
    Overall I like the crossover episodes, with different doctors crossing each other's time stream.
    Generally these aren't the greatest plots, but they do often yield the best dialogues.

Harkening quickly back to the Troughton years: what did you think of Tomb Of The Cybermen?
    Even to this day, I thought the Cybermen coming back to life, and rippingt their way through their sarcophaguses' membranes is incredibly creepy!

Not necessarily 'creepy' (the only creepy creatures I've seen in DR. WHO so far have been in the 2005 reboot -- Angels, boy with gasmask face etc.), but effective enough. The serial benefitted from using stock music that wasn't just electronic pling-plong.

I have to concede that I've started to forget specific plotlines already, but I'm abreast with the various creatures throughout the series. I'm doing this marathon for CONTEXT rather than pleasure, after all.

It's a bit frustrating when you encounter 'glitches' in the narrative -- like the Doctor returning to Atlantis in THE TIME MONSTER seemingly oblivious of the previous trip to Atlantis in THE UNDERWATER MENACE. And two different explanations for Atlantis' destruction. On the other hand, I do love it when they reference previous adventures properly. That's what it's all about for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Anyone need some postage stamps?

http://www.royalmail.com/doctorwho
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    It's a bit frustrating when you encounter 'glitches' in the narrative -- like the Doctor returning to Atlantis in THE TIME MONSTER seemingly oblivious of the previous trip to Atlantis in THE UNDERWATER MENACE. And two different explanations for Atlantis' destruction. On the other hand, I do love it when they reference previous adventures properly. That's what it's all about for me.

Hi, Thor.

You seem to value continuity above all else.

I recall disliking the references to previous stories whenever I first watched a DR. WHO serial.
    These sort of allusions either 1) re-inforced how much more I enjoyed the previous referenced show than the current one I was viewing, or 2) reminded me of a prior story that I didn't care for much and 'blemished' my enjoyment of the episode in progress.

This emphasis on continuity took a high priority during John-Nathan Turner's reign as producer during the 1980s (and as a result many stories ushered returns of past villains/monsters, etc.)

By the 1980s, DR. WHO had a large international cult following and JNT wished to appeal to many fans.

Earlier, though, when the change in production teams occurred during the '60s & '70s, the producer and script editor most likely did not consult what their predecessors had done and basically re-vamped the series and brought their own sensibilities to the programme.

THE TIME MONSTER (which was co-written by producer Barry Letts with Robert Sloman) is a personal favorite of mine.
    While you refer to the Atlantis situation as a "glitch", I don't think there yet existed that level of fandom nor cross-referencing past serials. In all likelihood, Letts simply wished to do his own version of the destruction of Atlantis and probably didn't bother to research if WHO had done it before. Also, THE UNDERWATER MENACE is not the sort of serial fondly remembered by most WHOvians, anyway.

Witnessing your penchant for continuity, I expect, Thor, that you should like JNT's tenure the most out of all classic WHO.
  3. It´s Doctor Who. Tell yourself that between his two visits to a specific place timelines have been changed back and forth so massively by what he has done inbetween that time has been rewritten, so he doesn´t remember what happened before. Abracadabra, continuity is back in place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    Looking forward to the 80's shows, Cobweb. Sounds like it's up my alley. Whenever I've seen an episode, I go to Wikipedia to see what other people (critics) have thought about it, and I'm continously astounded by how counter my taste runs to what I see there. The episodes I don't like are usually well-received, while the ones I do like aren't that popular. Weird.

By the way, does anyone know about any video interviews with Roger Delgado (The Master)? I recently saw his very last episode before he was killed in a car crash in 73, and I'm curious about how he was 'in real life'.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not too detailed but here's his wiki entry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Delgado
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I searched around a bit, and it seems like no interview with Delgado exists -- neither video, audio nor text. Just a few fan letters and some press quotes. That's a shame, really.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's interesting to see some famous actors appear in minor roles, like STAR WARS actors David Prowse (Darth Vader) as a Minotaur and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) as a Robin Hood-like archman in medieval England.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    "Invasions of the Dinosaurs" -- Worst.Dinosaur.Effects.EVER!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    "Invasions of the Dinosaurs" -- Worst.Dinosaur.Effects.EVER!

But when you're a kid, it's still great. I remember it well.