• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013
    On to the Fourth Doctor now (and I guess I'll be sticking with him for a while).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013
    Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor.

Baker's performance convinces viewers (me anyway) that the Doctor is non-Human (and quite unlike any of his 3 predecessors).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013 edited
    Sarah Jane Smith just left the show, but I know we'll see her again in future cameos. And I intend to check out THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES too, even though it's geared towards kids.

Incidentally, I've seen two serials with music by Geoffrey Burgon now, and IMO they're heads and shoulders above anything else in the series. It's so clear that it's from someone with a classical background, unlike the more perfunctory or experimental 'noise' of other scores. I hope to hear more scores of his, as I've always liked Burgon's stuff in other venues.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    "Invasions of the Dinosaurs" -- Worst.Dinosaur.Effects.EVER!

But when you're a kid, it's still great. I remember it well.

Hmmm? I distinctly remember not being impressed by the Dinosaurs and yet thrilled at the same time because the Doctor was taking on Dinosaurs dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's an interesting behind the scenes look into how those brilliant Dino effects came about.

DINOSAURS
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Here's an interesting behind the scenes look into how those brilliant Dino effects came about.

DINOSAURS

He, he...certain scenes in that serial reminded me of this one from FAMILY GUY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjEy7UhyUU

Or this one from MR. BEAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8tSq-fNNyk
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013 edited
    lol applause

( I've seen the Family Guy one but never the Bean one, excellent )
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Incidentally, I've seen two serials with music by Geoffrey Burgon now, and IMO they're heads and shoulders above anything else in the series. It's so clear that it's from someone with a classical background, unlike the more perfunctory or experimental 'noise' of other scores. I hope to hear more scores of his, as I've always liked Burgon's stuff in other venues.

Those 2 serials, Thor, are the only ones scored by Burgon (and which have already been released on CD by BBC):

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-887587-1191156940.jpeg

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-887587-1191157386.jpeg

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-887587-1191157572.jpeg
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013 edited
    Thor, since you've finished the Tom Baker serials with Sarah Jane Smith, you have already watched what most fans of classic WHO consider the best serials (such as GENESIS OF THE DALEKS).
    My personal favorite from this era is THE MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA.

You probably by now have seen THE DEADLY ASSASSIN in which the Doctor goes solo without any companions.
    It's THE DEADLY ASSASSIN and the next one - THE FACE OF EVIL - which made me a fan of WHO back in 1980!

The first story I had seen was REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN. I then saw PLANET OF EVIL and MASQUE.
    By the time I watched DEADLY ASSASSIN & FACE OF EVIL, I was hooked. smile

Another fan favorite is ahead - THE ROBOTS OF DEATH, which utilizes the 'trapped in a confined space' murder whodunnit.

So what are Thor's thoughts so far on the 3 seasons produced by Philip Hinchcliffe and script edited by Robert Holmes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013 edited
    You know, I completed THE DEADLY ASSASSINS yesterday, and I really liked it. One of my favourite episodes in the entire show so far. Some of the incidents in the actual Gallifrey environment are so-so, but the cat-and-mouse hunt in the great outdoors (actually, inside a 'virtual environment') between the doctor and The Master's "puppet" was really great. More such things, please!

I love it when the doctor goes solo without any companion to rely on or who suddenly rescues the days, ex deus machina.

THE MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA was OK, but I'm always a bit put off by the theatrical, larger-than-life prose that is used predominantly throughout this serial, especially for the 'cult'.

I'm in the middle of THE FACE OF EVIL now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    I love a lot of this back-story continuity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9g477VepM
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I love a lot of this back-story continuity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9g477VepM

I clicked it, but quickly went away as I see it's from THE FIVE DOCTORS. I want to keep the 'suspense' untill I get to that episode.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sorry spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No problem. All I managed to see was the TARDIS console! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    I expect Thor has viewed all of the Leela stories by now?

Personally, this period of Tom Baker [from THE FACE OF EVIL in the middle of the 14th season to THE STONES OF BLOOD in the middle of the Key-To-Time Season (16th season)] is my favorite out of all of classic DR. WHO.

Thor probably will not agree with me on this, though. Fans appear to be heavily divided in their response/appreciation to the Graham Williams-produced seasons, especially with respect to the shift in tone away from horror-infused serials towards Tom Baker's tendencies to send-up any material he considered to routine or cliche or predictable.

Most will likely agree, though, that Mary Tamm's Romana #1 is a most attractive female companion! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013
    Finished season 16 (the "Keys of Time" season) with the final serial "The Armageddon Factor", which I found reasonably good.

It strikes me once again that every time I think a serial is good, the reviews I read at the Wikipedia entries all find it bad, while the serials they like, I usually dislike. I don't think I would make a very good "Whovian".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013
    Peter Capaldi is the new Doc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? REALLY? REALLY?!?!?
    punk I'm SO back in! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, great news. A somewhat older doctor again (if 55 is considered 'older'). Should be good. Great casting choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. This is a great choice. I hope they keep the Scottish accent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is a great choice. I hope they keep the Scottish accent.

I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013
    Aye! Aye! Aye!
    ...though, going by the historical Scottish Doctors (7 (McCoy) and 10 (Tennant)), I doubt it. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013 edited
    Samples of Silva Screen's Doctor Who - Series 7 2-CD set, out 9th September.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Orig … mp;sr=1-36
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013 edited
    "Warrior's Gate"....my God, this was the wildest serial yet. A string of crazy ideas not strung together in any shape or form; a bunch of random scenarios thrown together. Flabbergasting. It's like one big acid trip.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013
    Thor wrote
    "Warrior's Gate"....my God, this was the wildest serial yet. A string of crazy ideas not strung together in any shape or form; a bunch of random scenarios thrown together. Flabbergasting. It's like one big acid trip.

I see you're at the end of Tom Baker's reign, Thor.

Yes, "Warriors' Gate" is my candidate for the most impressive story from John Nathan-Turner's first year as producer.

If you like the other-worldliness/other-dimentional atmospheres of "Warriors' Gate", then you might be receptive to a few serials over the next several seasons - such as writer Steve Gallagher's "Terminus" from the 20th season and Christopher Bailey's "Kinda" from the 19th season.
    "Kinda", in particular, creates a very 'out-there' experience (aided in no small part by another great score by Peter Howell) but with heavy religious/Buddhist aspects.
    Also, the first DOCTOR WHO serial to be written & directed by women ("Enlightenment") casts a very ethereal atmospheric spell...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Well, I'm not quite sure I LIKED it per se. It could have benefitted from a more focussed narrative, a reigning in of some of the ideas. But it was definitely mindboggling. dizzy

In any case, I just now completed the last episode of "Logopolis" and thus Baker's stint as the fourth doctor. It took me a while. Looking forward to Peter Davison's tenure now.

Incidentally, I like some of the synth-driven scores for the last few episodes, by Howell and others. In "Logopolis", he even taps into funk for the chase sequences!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2013
    I've just seen MAWDRYN UNDEAD and I must say that I enjoy the 20th season habit of referring to past characters for continuity. This is what my mission is -- to tie everything together so that all the references in the 2005 reboot make sense.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013 edited
    So I just finished Peter Davison's final story - "The Caves of Andronzani". As I went to Wikipedia afterwards, I saw the sentence " In 2009 The Caves of Androzani was voted by fans as the best Doctor Who story in history" and I just couldn't believe it! Quite the contrary, this is one of the WORST episodes I've seen so far -- stupid, annoying, noisy and unfocussed. Just a terrible swansong for Davison. At one point, I even did my dishes while having it on in the background.

Geez. I'm continually bewildered that my taste runs so counter to everyone else's.
    I am extremely serious.