• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't catch any references and I've not read anything about any.

Fair nuff' I'd have to see the episode again to see if there was any kind of 'in joke' there!?

There wasn't! I was a bit disappointed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. When that variation of the Gallifrey Theme appeared, I got goosebumps all over. What a scoretastic moment, hopefully captured on CD later this year...
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    When that variation of the Gallifrey Theme appeared, I got goosebumps all over...

Me too! It was a great moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    yes it was! I even got teary-eyed...

The music in combination with Tennant's performance was fantastic (to paraphrase Nine)

And I actually quite like Donna - she's kinda becoming my favorite companion of the new series, something I would never have thought after seeing the Runaway Bride...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Donna is growing on me though I still keep expecting her to say "but am I bothered....."
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    Do you think things will end badly for her?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One can only hope. angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    Martijn wrote

crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Martijn wrote

biggrin beer
  3. I wasn´t too happy about Donna Noble´s return, but I must say, she is fun and delivered some of the best dramatic scenes with Tennant we´ve seen so far. I never thought I would say that, but I begin to like her more than Martha...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I begin to like her more than Martha...

I like Daleks more than Martha... rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Well, I think people have been a bit harsh about her; I liked her, especially the way she dealt with her feelings about the Doctor. She was no one to envy, coming up after Rose, and hell had she stuff to bear in S3... it´s a shame the writers seem to fail writing good stuff for her, and I won´t let that fall on Martha´s shoulders. I really hope they let her take a more active role in Torchwood next season...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    PLEASE, whoever sees that grand finale tonight, please keep spoilers about it limited to this topic only. I won´t see it before tomorrow, I am afraid, but I hope to be surprised by everything that´s happening there, so I´ll stay away from everything else on the net tonight, but I still want to be able to read my favourite massage board.

Thanks.
  5. Hm.

Hm-hm...

So... what do you guys think of it?

I think I have to drag it around my brains for a while before I can come to a satisfying analysis...
  6. My immediate response after seeing the show was "what a disappointment". Things were set up for such a huge climax but Russell T. managed to miss the mark yet again.

Once I know it's okay to mention spoilers then I'll expand.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    That's what you get when you watch stuff other than Lost wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

But you have to admit, when Lost gets it wrong, it gets it wrong. How poor was the first episode of season 4... rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Lost? Meh!

I'm still having withdrawal symptoms from having no more Soprano's slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    I thought Journey´s End was a disappointment from start to finish. For nearly everything RTD got the lamest exit possible (and I usually like his stuff). The main story was a gargantuan overload that couldn´t possibly be backed up by budget or character writing. Cudos to the actors though, who really, really did their best, and the effects team, as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I thought Journey´s End was a disappointment from start to finish. For nearly everything RTD got the lamest exit possible (and I usually like his stuff). The main story was a gargantuan overload that couldn´t possibly be backed up by budget or character writing. Cudos to the actors though, who really, really did their best, and the effects team, as well.

Sounds like you have seen it...

Spoilers

I thought that the way last week's ending set everything on a cliffhanger was vintage Doctor Who! Everyone was in danger! And we were led to believe that one of the Doctor's "companions" was going to die. Disappointment #1 was that within 1-2 minutes of this final episode all the previous cliffhangers had been resolved and no-one was sacrificed for the cause!!

I did think that the build-up that leads to the "final battle" was quite watchable but then things went seriously downhill with the almost-slapstick resolution of the battle with the daleks. How come all the daleks could be controlled from one console - by someone who had hands? Last time I looked daleks didn't have hands.

Biggest disappointments were held for the end of the show - after the daleks had been defeated. Rose's story (where she ends up in a parallel universe & cut-off from the Doctor) was a great ending for the previous series where Billie Piper left the show. Even the fact that they managed to sidestep a true death of Rose by shoving her off to a parallel universe (meaning that she was in effect dead in the proper universe) was excusable. But to go back to this universe and give Rose her own Doctor!?! Every time I now watch the original version where Rose is trapped and she is separated from the Doctor will now be diluted knowing that she'll get a doctor at some point to love in the future. Damn.

And (finally), I get to the fate of Donna. Could she be the "faithful companion" that dies? It seems that for today's Doctor Who actually killing a companion would be too much to take. In the end Donna's mind is wiped clean of all her experiences of the Doctor - so, this version of Donna is "dead"...but Donna herself is still with us. I did think that Catherine Tate in this scene secured her place as a major companion to the Doctor - a place that she was becoming more and more deserving of as the series progressed. But they should have killed her off!

There. I'm finished. I wasn't really that impressed. In a way I'm glad that RTD will be moving on (though many of us will be forever grateful that he was responsible for bringing back Doctor Who in its current form) and I look forward to the new episodes in the future with Steven Moffat at the helm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    In a way I'm glad that RTD will be moving on (though many of us will be forever grateful that he was responsible for bringing back Doctor Who in its current form) and I look forward to the new episodes in the future with Steven Moffat at the helm.

I agree. As I said before, I used to defend RTD and thought the series was generally really good and sometimes even great TV. But I´m also looking forward to the time after the upcoming movie specials. 2010 can´t come fast enough... BTW, I really hope that Moffat brings back that Sparrow girl from Blink; she would be the yummiest companion imaginable. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    Oh poop. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I'm relatively new to the music of Doctor Who, and I'm wondering something. the first song on the season 3 soundtrack, often referred to as "The Trailer Music", where is that thing used? dizzy

I like that song so much, and i've been youtube'ing to find the scene (or the 'trailer' from the name) where that music is used, but I just can't find it. Maybe one of you can help me out?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  7. There was a trailer where they used it, AND it HAS been used in the series a lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who … -_Series_3
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    From the booklet to the second CD:
    "Originally recorded for Gridlock, The Mill got hold of it prior to broadcast and it became the music for the trailer advertising series 3. There were many variations through the run, including Daleks In Manhattan, 42 and The Sound Of Drums where extended sections were used as Martha drove away from trouble. This version is made up of two different recordings, one the original from Jan 2006, the other from the second of our BBC National Orchestra of Wales recordings in April."

Brilliant piece, innit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Youtube anyone? :p

And yeah, truly brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKSezyEwa2k
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008

Far from it! slant

Yeeeey! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Rian wrote

Far from it! slant

Sorry mate, no sound here, so I had to guess. smile (just searched for "doctor who" "season 3" and "trailer").