• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    Excellent score. Sentimental, ethereal piano writing, trademarked Sakamoto minimalism. If you like dreamy, smooth and melodic nostalgic music you'll love it.

Sakamoto is such a gifted artists, THE LAST EMPEROR, LITTLE BUDDHA and SHELTERING SKY with its sweeping adagios are truly beautiful. FEMME FATALE is magnificent, can't think of any other words to describe them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Excellent score. Sentimental, ethereal piano writing, trademarked Sakamoto minimalism. If you like dreamy, smooth and melodic nostalgic music you'll love it.

Sakamoto is such a gifted artists, THE LAST EMPEROR, LITTLE BUDDHA and SHELTERING SKY with its sweeping adagios are truly beautiful. FEMME FATALE is magnificent, can't think of any other words to describe them.

Did you like SILK too D ? Maybe not in the class of the others you mention but still very good.

Sakamoto is a superb pianist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i forgot about thaT! SILK is very similar to TONY TAKITANI, certainly not up there with those others but still a very beautiful score indeed beer

As for the pianist part, i totally agree; i found my self quite a few times drifting for hours in youtube watching Sakamoto videos
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i forgot about thaT! SILK is very similar to TONY TAKITANI, certainly not up there with those others but still a very beautiful score indeed beer

As for the pianist part, i totally agree; i found my self quite a few times drifting for hours in youtube watching Sakamoto videos

What a coincidence!? Exactly what I've been doing recently. smile

I'll be getting TONY TAKITANI.

p.s. Can we have the composer title topic in BOLD.

EDIT TO ADD : nice one beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    Anyone seen Zanan-e Bedun-e Mardan? I would love to hear what Sakamoto wrote for it! Maybe some middle eastern/piano fuse score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    Not seen or heard or even heard of but I'd like to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    RYUICHI SAKAMOTO NORTH AMERICAN TOUR 2010

REl Rey/Los Angeles, California
    Doors open at 8pm, Showtime at 9pm

Live on USTREAM! smile
    11/6 (Sat) 13:00- JST (GMT+9)
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/skmt09
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited
    I can't find English info on the site, but some of you might be interested in this...

skmtSocial project
    Ryuichi Sakamoto's Playing the Piano @ Seoul USTREAM Live
    Japan time (GMT+9)
    1. 15:30-18:30
    2. 19:30-22:30
    http://skmtsocial.com/timetable/
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/skmts

He's known in Japan for using new media, this time Ustream and Twitter and so on... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    New Year's message from Professor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cguY8kPvM7s

In Japanese, but just look at his ears lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    I've seen Sakamoto play live, an excellent night, excellent musicianship and I got the coolest looking autograph of all on The Last Emperor cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I've seen Sakamoto play live, an excellent night, excellent musicianship and I got the coolest looking autograph of all on The Last Emperor cool

Though tonight's streaming was fantastic, I hope to see it live (real live) one day!

I love his non-film score piece called Hibari (skylark).... it sounds like a skylark singing smile
  1. I liked his Snake Eyes score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    I liked his Snake Eyes score.

It's excellent! Have you heard Little Buddha or Femme Fatale?
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I liked his Snake Eyes score.

It's excellent! Have you heard Little Buddha or Femme Fatale?

Not yet; I plan to listen to or have listened to:
    -Snake Eyes (good)
    -Sheltering Sky (alright, good main theme (similar to Snake Eyes))
    -Wuthering Heights
    -Tony Takani
    -Silk
    -Femme Fatale
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Little Buddha is, IMO, Sakamoto's best score, I can never get enough of it, a classic and in my top 30 of all time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    [startquote]Ark Soundtrack Square announces:

ARK SOUNDTRACK SQUARE would like to recommend "ICHIMEI -Harakiri: Death of a Samurai", a new soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto (THE LAST EMPEROR, MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE, also a member of Yellow Magic Orchestra fame), available on October 12, 2011.
    A Special Packaging.

This "ICHIMEI -Harakiri: Death of a Samurai" is the samurai movie directed by Takashi Miike (13 ASSASSINS, CROWS ZERO), and starring Ebizo Ichikawa.

This CD is available at ARK SOUNDTRACK SQUARE
    http://www.arksquare.net/index_main.html

Thank you.

ARK SQUARE

E-Mail: service@arksquare.net
    URL: http://www.arksquare.net/index_main.html
    ************************************************[/endquote]

Sakamoto is one of a very select few composers whom I'll consider buying blindly, has anyone here ordered from ARK SQUARE before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    I think I have some of their (slightly less than fully legit wink ) releases, but I never ordered directly from them.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I have ordered from them in the past but not for a year or two. Their ordering process was a bit clumsy then (I don't know if it is any better now), but I never had any problems the 5-6 times I used them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    thanks Alan.

I'll give them a try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014
    Terrible news:

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014 … at-cancer/

I hope he recovers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014
    Me too!

He's my favourite Japanese composer. I can only but wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014
    Very sad indeed. Wishing him all the best. One of the best Japanese composers ever, imo, and tremendously influential to the western world as well.
  3. Hi everyone!

My latest review in the Throwback Thirty series is of the Oscar winning score from 1987 - THE LAST EMPEROR by Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne, and Cong Su.

This is my last review for a week or so - I'm on vacation all next week - but I'll be back on December 11th with first article in the annual Geographic Roundup series!

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/11/30/the- … d-cong-su/

Enjoy smile

Jon

This is a great score. Actually one that triggered my interest in film music. Byrne's main theme was all over the place back then in Germany. It played in every single Chinese Restaurant and in every TV feature with remotely Chinese aspects.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2020 edited
    Sakamoto in collaboration with Dj Spooky on the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4AzXwtfHck

I don´t think any of the these ceremonies has ever been met with portions of such dissonance.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2023
    RIP.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023 edited
    After his sad death, I spent a great deal of time re-exploring what I already owned of Sakamoto, and some new things I hadn't heard before. As a result, I assembled this top 10 of his scores:

1. Wild Palms
    2. L.O.L. – Lack of Love (video game)
    3. Alexei and the Spring
    4. Fantasy of Light and Life (art installation, super rare!)
    5. The Sheltering Sky
    6. Silk
    7. Little Buddha
    8. Wuthering Heights
    9. Snake Eyes
    10. The Last Emperor

Almost, but not quite: High Heels

You say 'What, no MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE?'. Afraid not. The theme is absolutely brilliant, but the rest of the score doesn't do much for me. It's a problem with Sakamoto sometimes. Has a brilliant main theme, but the rest of the score is either avantgarde sound design stuff, or short cells in the style of Bernard Herrmann, one of his idols. That doesn't always go home with me.

In terms of his solo albums, a lot of it isn't exactly up my alley. Too weird and 'unstable', sonically. But I absolutely adore the Bach/Tarkovsky/Artemiev elements of his 2017 album ASYNC, a sound I know he's been very interested in (per the CODA documentary). The other sound design elements of the album, I'm not too keen on, so I've weeded them out, resulting in a neat 31-minute program of just the beautiful ambient parts.

The same can be really be said about the Yellow Magic Orchestra stuff. A lot of it is too all-over-the-place for my taste, but the 1979 album SOLID STATE SURVIVOR is absolutely brilliant. It's like Kraftwerk as if it were produced by Giorgio Moroder. A definite keeper!
    I am extremely serious.