• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Brilliant! I haven't heard The Dark Knight but I'm betting this sounds nothing like it! wink

Hlmmmm.

yeah, you're right; biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Count of Monte Cristo - Edward Shearmur

Good score, though not the best I've heard. I especially enjoy End Titles! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Brilliant! I haven't heard The Dark Knight but I'm betting this sounds nothing like it! wink

Hlmmmm.

yeah, you're right; biggrin

biggrin

And to the old 100 page plus thread beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Last Sineater (McKenzie)

Definitely not the sort of music I imagined on hearing this film's title. Wonderfully sentimental drama score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote

Good score, though not the best I've heard

You ever thought about copyrighting this phrase?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Journey To The Center Of The Earth - Andrew Lockington

Nothing really special about it, but I'm liking the cues a lot. And great action stuff!! punk
  2. NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

This is what I consider his best, full of awesome thematic development and truly bone-chilling tracks ('The Clown' & 'Twisted Abduction' in particular). In between the terror there's actually a beautiful calming melody in 'The Light'. 'Night Visitor / No Complaints' is a stunner in its build up. The score also provides one of the most rousing climaxes ever in 'Rebirth'. Ever since seeing the film, this score has been one of my favorites. It makes watching the film an unforgettable and terrifying experience.

My rating: punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

This is what I consider his best, full of awesome thematic development and truly bone-chilling tracks ('The Clown' & 'Twisted Abduction' in particular). In between the terror there's actually a beautiful calming melody in 'The Light'. 'Night Visitor / No Complaints' is a stunner in its build up. The score also provides one of the most rousing climaxes ever in 'Rebirth'. Ever since seeing the film, this score has been one of my favorites. It makes watching the film an unforgettable and terrifying experience.

My rating: punk punk punk punk punk

Couldn't agree more, definitely one of my top scores of all time. This is one of those scores I will only ever listen to in the evenings, it's just one of those scores. The full effect is not felt when it's still light outside!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:LXG (Jones)

punk beer

A little bit repetitive, but the power of some cues can't be denied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIP GLASS - Kundun

An exceptional musical work and a rather thrilling musical experience from one of the most important composers out there today, imo. Imaginative instrumentation, grand and awe-inspiring, almost imposing sound with hypnotic atmosphere at places but constantly building up dramatically.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I was never able to get into that score and admittedly I haven't played it since first receiving the score back in 1997. But then again this important composer's work has never really impressed me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    THANK YOU, Erik.
    I was about to say much along the same line, but decided against it, being the resident Glass breaker and thus feel too easily pigeonholed as being the first to cast stones.
    But I have generally considered Glass to be half-full at best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I am finally exploring some Philip Glass, something I hadn't done yet for I don't know what reason (probably scared of by some strong opinions about it) and I regret not having done that earlier. I was introduced to some minimalist music when I was 14, I loved it but simply never looked any further than the music I got then and now I'm so glad I'm finding more of this stuff I have liked for a long time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    THANK YOU, Erik.
    I was about to say much along the same line, but decided against it, being the resident Glass breaker and thus feel too easily pigeonholed as being the first to cast stones.

Come on Martijn, you're not fooling anyone. We all know your intentions are evil.

Bregje wrote
    I am finally exploring some Philip Glass, something I hadn't done yet for I don't know what reason (probably scared of by some strong opinions about it) and I regret not having done that earlier. I was introduced to some minimalist music when I was 14, I loved it but simply never looked any further than the music I got then and now I'm so glad I'm finding more of this stuff I have liked for a long time!

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

Great music! punk
  3. Martijn wrote
    THANK YOU, Erik.

Come out of the closet Martijn. All the Glass fans are waiting for the man that doth protest too much. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Good score, though not the best I've heard

You ever thought about copyrighting this phrase?

Now that you mention it, that may be a good idea! rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    From Hell - Trevor Jones

Like many of his scores it has some very, very good parts, but the album as a whole is a struggle to get through.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    PHILIP GLASS - Kundun

An exceptional musical work and a rather thrilling musical experience from one of the most important composers out there today, imo. Imaginative instrumentation, grand and awe-inspiring, almost imposing sound with hypnotic atmosphere at places but constantly building up dramatically.

Absolutely spot on D cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I was never able to get into that score and admittedly I haven't played it since first receiving the score back in 1997. But then again this important composer's work has never really impressed me.

-Erik-

Check out Salonen's recording of ITAIPU Erik.....mindblowing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Check out Salonen's recording of ITAIPU Erik.....mindblowing!

I will. Thanks for the recommendation.

NP: Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox - Jerry Goldsmith

I don't think I've played this since it was first released. I prefer the last three discs over the first three mainly due to the fact that I own all the scores on discs 1-3. Anyway, I'm starting with Disc 1 and we'll see how far I get. Right now I'm spinning Goldsmith Academy Award nominated score to Patton. Easily one of the best spotted scores off all time and quite possible one of those rare scores that can be labeled as perfect. Not a note or a cue is out of place.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The echoing trumpets "reincarnation" theme is pure genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Goldsmith's score to Patton is a 'character' in the film, it's vital to the story IMO. And that's a vital thing missing with many of today's scores, and as much as I enjoy them they do tend to be 'wallpaper music'. Perhaps it's too easy to generalize like that, but scores like Patton are certainly a rare thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Goldsmith's score to Patton is a 'character' in the film, it's vital to the story IMO. And that's a vital thing missing with many of today's scores, and as much as I enjoy them they do tend to be 'wallpaper music'. Perhaps it's too easy to generalize like that, but scores like Patton are certainly a rare thing.

An idea for a thread of it's own here Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Contact Alan Silvestri

One of my favourite scores to one of my favourite films (which I admit has its faults). This complete version starts off with 'A History Of Sound', which is a collection of various famous songs and radio signals cleverly taking us back in time used at the very beginning of the film in a stunning zoom-out from Earth to the edge of the universe. It's a natural inclusion on this complete album and for those who've seen the film it makes a great start to the score.

Silvestri is (in)famous for creating quite loud and noisy scores, but it's amazing how he can counteract that with truly subtle and effective music. It's clear from the music he was quite passionate about this project, or at least the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree, the main theme is gorgeous and the movie is a very dear favorite of mine too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Great score to a great film. The use of a lot of exotic instruments make it very compelling and at times very disturbing which is not surprising considering the subject matter though I can imagine some of the synth elements might put some people off. The few purely orchestral moments complete with choir are heartbreakingly brief but utterly, utterly BRILLIANT!

I've seen this album going cheaply many times and would recommend you pck it up if you see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

A great score, but not as a Star Wars one (at least not the Star Wars we're used to). Still, it sounds great, overall, and I'm really enjoying it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, I agree William. Personally, I think the album is a bit too long, and that would make a good playlist to cut down the time. (Although I still hate the rendition of Williams' main theme. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Steven wrote
    (Although I still hate the rendition of Williams' main theme. slant )

I don't think it sounds like Star Wars (duh), but I actually still like it.