• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Bernard Herrmann - The Film Scores Salonen and the LA Philharmonic

I find I'm not much a fan of his scores on CD, but rather the compilations of themes and selected cues from his scores. Some of his film score albums are a mission to get through, but thanks to wonderful re-recorded compilations like this, I can enjoy his music to fullest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - heat

Having played this now, and loud, after a long time i can hear the said similarities between Zimmer's "WHY SO SERIOUS" indeed but i can appreciate that piece even more now; it's a continuation of that sound, a further exploring down the road of a sound created by one of the most brilliant composers film music ever had to showcase (Goldenthal).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Sphere

Massive, brooding, evil, dark, masterful and chilling. One of the best scores of this kind you'll ever hear, a masterpiece of its genre. Goldenthal is a thrilling composer, so sad he isn't around as he used to be, these days.
  1. His stuff is very deep, a dark, brooding mass of orchestral power. I don´t like it when he gets chaotic, but I always get deeply involved into his slower stuff. There are tracks in Alien3, Interview with a Vampire or Final Fantasy that make my hair curl up in fear again and again. (Very irritating image, I realise now.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh i LIKE it! His 9-minute inferno "Toccata And Dreamscapes" from FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN is one of the most complex and outstanding musical compositions modern film music has to showcase, imo. The direct opposite to the unrefined, direct in-your-face loud onslaught of Brian Tyler's AVP:R (Decimation Proclamation (07:40); as far as like both pieces and AVP:R in particular, the 2 examples showcase 2 vastly different musical approaches, the first being an example of rare orchestral brilliance and outstanding use of every musical device in order to create refined and metered vast dissonance in very complex and advanced ways while the 2nd is pure chaos.
  2. Ehm... yeah... sort of... wink

To be honest, I have to be in a very scory mood to enjoy either of them. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Mr. Pattertwig (wink)

I tend to skip middle tracks (6-9), partly because the Telmarine theme is not pleasant to listen. It's supposed to be unpleasant, so probably it's good as a villain theme. But it's too much on the album. And I think Sorcery And Sudden Vengeance is unnecessary, because it's not so different from a piece on the 1st soundtrack.

Why didn't the editor (whoever he/she is) put better cues instead? (e.g. Reepicheep theme)

But, as I said before, I do love The Door In The Air, especially the part when Caspian's theme blended into Pevensie's theme and Narnia theme (2:55-)...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    I still have to get my hands on it. I enjoyed the movie a lot, even more so than the first one, and I thought the score worked quite well in the movie. While I certainly wonder what Arnold is going to do with the material, I would have preferred to see the series composed by one single composer throughout, especially since Gregson-Williams pushed all the right buttons (IMHO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Pay It Forward - Thomas Newman

There are some very haunting, albeit typical Newman, piano moments in this score which are just gorgeous. Sleepover is the highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Why didn't the editor (whoever he/she is) put better cues instead? (e.g. Reepicheep theme)

Classic Disney Records score - the lesser the score, the more pop songs, the better... slant tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I like this inferno of "tocata and scape" too , D. beer

NP:Robocop (Poledouris)

For some reason the dramatic impact of The Dark Knight (movie) reminds me to the tragic but heroic movie of Robocop. Specially for the drama of the characters, and the industrial touch.

The theme is underused!!!! Why??? is soooooooooooooooooooooo good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Miya wrote

I think they simply choose the important sequences of the film and put a cue or two from these scenes on the CD to make some kind of musical journey rather than a compilation of the best music heard in the film. In a way that sounds like a logical decision but not always the best listening experience.

NP: Robotech: The Macross Saga - Ulpio Minucci and a bunch of other dudes.
    As an avid fan of the series I really dig the music here even though the majority of the cues are made with really old synthesizers (1985 stuff...ooo-weee!). Luckily, most of the highlights such as Rick Hunter's Theme, the 15th Squadron theme and the title theme (which has a ring of Superman's March somehow) are accompanied with a real horn and string section that adds more depth to the music. Now, if only the whole score was performed with a huge orchestra... Man, that'd be a killer!

I read a couple of days ago that they're planning on bringing the series to the silver screen with a live action film adoption of the Macross sage. That should be interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Weeded out the boring drone tracks and playing my favourites' compilation - Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, Davy Jones, Dinner Is Served, Tia Dalma, Two Hornpipes, Wheel Of Fortune and 2 web rips - Summon The Kraken and The Flying Dutchman Arrival. Now this is fun! biggrin

My rating - punkpunkpunkpunk cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Classic Disney Records score - the lesser the score, the more pop songs, the better... slant tongue

But what I'm always offended at Mickey Records is not only about the length. Narnia soundtracks have good amounts of score tracks. But I can't understand their policy about choice of cues... On Mulan, for example, they cut off the first part of Huns Attack scene, and added mickey mousing part instead. Why? Not to mention our beloved you-know-what score... wink

I wonder how much composers can be involved in process to pick cues for soundtracks.

(well, wherever we talk, we always end up talking about this infamous company... LOL)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote

Four punks and a cheese? shocked
    ...sounds like an episode of the A-Team. spin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

LOL biggrin

Was meant to mean 4 1/2 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

You dissin' my rating system!? slant
    The cheek of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Ralph Kruhm wrote While I certainly wonder what Arnold is going to do with the material, I would have preferred to see the series composed by one single composer throughout, especially since Gregson-Williams pushed all the right buttons (IMHO).

Agree... I thought HGW's score makes a movie into a Narnia movie. I mean, Prince Caspian has a very different feel from The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, but the score reminds the audience that they're watching a sequel of the first Narnia movie...

I have nothing against David Arnold, and I'm looking forward to his Narnian score, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wroteWhile I certainly wonder what Arnold is going to do with the material, I would have preferred to see the series composed by one single composer throughout, especially since Gregson-Williams pushed all the right buttons (IMHO).

Agree... I thought HGW's score makes a movie into a Narnia movie. I mean, Prince Caspian has a very different feel from The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, but the score reminds the audience that they're watching a sequel of the first Narnia movie...

I have nothing against David Arnold, and I'm looking forward to his Narnian score, though.

I can see how people love what HGW has done for the Narnia films. And it works on so many levels, but it also fails on so many more levels - for me, especially for the 2nd movie. I am very confident that David Arnold will deliver something completely different; let's hope it'll be good as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wroteWhile I certainly wonder what Arnold is going to do with the material, I would have preferred to see the series composed by one single composer throughout, especially since Gregson-Williams pushed all the right buttons (IMHO).

I agree somewhat, but I also feel PC was almost like a big reprise of LWW's score, with not enough new material. Arnold will be a good change! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

I can see how people love what HGW has done for the Narnia films. And it works on so many levels, but it also fails on so many more levels - for me, especially for the 2nd movie. I am very confident that David Arnold will deliver something completely different; let's hope it'll be good as well.

I couldn't give a shit about continuity as far as these films go, mostly because they're rubbish. But I would like to hear a decent score out of this whole franchise for once, which is why I'm so very glad Arnold is scoring the third one.

There, an opinion for ya'll. Chew on it if you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Sylvos wrote
    Miya wrote

I think they simply choose the important sequences of the film and put a cue or two from these scenes on the CD to make some kind of musical journey rather than a compilation of the best music heard in the film. In a way that sounds like a logical decision but not always the best listening experience.

ahh, that makes sense. But I disagree about their policy.

Probably nobody at Disney Records loves listening score albums. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Probably nobody at Disney Records loves listening score albums. slant

Obviously wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

But what I'm always offended at Mickey Records is not only about the length. Narnia soundtracks have good amounts of score tracks. But I can't understand their policy about choice of cues... On Mulan, for example, they cut off the first part of Huns Attack scene, and added mickey mousing part instead. Why? Not to mention our beloved you-know-what score... wink

I wonder how much composers can be involved in process to pick cues for soundtracks.

(well, wherever we talk, we always end up talking about this infamous company... LOL)

Zimmer did himself edit the cues of The Lion King on the OST. Dunno about Mulan, though, though I do feel JG could've edited them too.
  3. Steven wrote

Bastard! Spoiler of fun!!!

No, honestly, I can see why people think that. I just disagree. The movies are based on a half-a-century old series, and it shows. Things that were new and original then are old and clichéd now. But I like it anyway. Regarding to the scores, I thought they captured the sense of wonder as well as the epic parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

I couldn't give a shit about continuity as far as these films go, mostly because they're rubbish. But I would like to hear a decent score out of this whole franchise for once, which is why I'm so very glad Arnold is scoring the third one.

Oh bloody hell they are rubbish INDEED! But a good score coming out of them (which hasn't been done so far imo and can be possibly achieved via Arnold) is what i am hoping for too. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Skipped straight to my sweetheart - Leave No Man Behind!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Skipped straight to my sweetheart - Leave No Man Behind!! biggrin

Brilliant score, excellent theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I just disagree. The movies are based on a half-a-century old series, and it shows.

Well, so was The Lord Of The Rings, and that certainly packed a wallop or two!
    Anyway, to each his own, and if you take anything away from it, good for you, but I was bored to tears. It simply wasn't a good film: too pretentious to be enjoyable popcorn, too shallow to be enjoyable intellectually.
    Oh well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, I should have said "...based on a half-a-century old children´s book series", and I thought they made the absolute maximum fun out of it possible. If they make the Hobbit with its talking animals as well as them, then we can talk. biggrin