• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

I don't see this one mentioned very often here. Any other fans?

cool

A very good Newton Howard score. The first thing I did after watching the movie was buying the cd. The main theme is so addictive!

One of my favourite modern action scores which isn't written by Goldsmith. In fact I'm going to listen to it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008 edited
    NP: Magdalene - Cliff Eidelman

shocked

Rarely do you get film scores like this these days. A score written with such care, passion and beauty hitting upon all the right emotions. What is even more shocking is that Eidleman had only graduated weeks before when he began working on this score. He was offered a gigantic symphony orchestra, flown to Munich, wrote the score and had the Munich Symphony perform it. While the performances are off, Madelene is still a massive orchestral and choral score that takes some considerable talent to pull off. And here is Cliff Eidleman at 25 doing it! Wow!

And here is one of my favorite film music quote of all time... from the liner notes.

"Imagine how I felt when, in 1988, I was offered my first feature. The producer Ernst R. von Theumer and writer/director Monica Teuber visited my apartment and asked me the big question; "How many musicians will you need?" I told them seventy would be sufficient for a nice, rich sound. Emst replied, "Why seventy when you can have one hundred and twenty?"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

cool

Yes, ME! I love it!! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was Playing : 13 warrior (Goldsmith)

I'm still in my battle about what score I prefer : The Mummy or 13 warrior.

First Knight it's the most complete overall, but it lacks the exotic feeling.

NP:MOH Underground (Giacchino)

I was forgott how good this score is.

The french touch, the dark mood of some tracks and the nazi's theme much more used.

A real Winner!

Before I will Play: Marco Polo (Morricone).

Wow...A great, great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: 13 warrior (Goldsmith)

And why would Goldsmith want to evoke an exotic feel for a medieval tale about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table?

As for 13th Warrior and The Mummy... love them equally.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

And why would Goldsmith want to evoke an exotic feel for a medieval tale about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table?

-Erik-

I know , I know. I just love exotic themes.

So the first Knight lacks of the Exotic feeling (obviously), The Mummy contains some annoying things (the heroic theme and the "mummy" dissonant music) and 13 warrior lacks of vibrant action music.

Anyway, this is my order of preference.

All of them rocks!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The heroic theme and 'dissonant' music (wherever that might be) is annoying? Lay off the wacky backy Jordi. Everything about it, every theme, fit the film like a glove. I like that Goldsmith didn't need a million and one notes to induce excitement in his music, that truly is becoming a lost art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Harry Potter and The PHILOSOPHER'S Stone John Williams

VERY long time no listen. Apart from Hooper's shite, this is my least played Potter score. Quite nice to return to it after so long!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Triumph of the Spirit - Cliff Eidelman

I think I've said what I've had to say about the early works of Cliff Eidelman. I will tell ya though, it's great to hear three masterpieces (listened to ST:6 earlier in the day) written by one composer that all came out around the same time... especially from a composer in his mid-20's. Triumph is another beautifully crafted score for orchestra and choir. Gorgeous stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    LSH wrote

cool

I used it in a gaming session where the characters had to travel a hazardous mountain pass, and combined it with King Kong for some Giant Yeti appearances. There were priceless faces everywhere. Great fun!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Music From Star Wars | The Electric Moog Orchestra

Respect!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The heroic theme and 'dissonant' music (wherever that might be) is annoying? Lay off the wacky backy Jordi. Everything about it, every theme, fit the film like a glove. I like that Goldsmith didn't need a million and one notes to induce excitement in his music, that truly is becoming a lost art.

Here hear applause

NP : BETTY BLUE - Gabrial Yared

Sweet! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Trevor Rabin - Gridiron Gang

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Trevor Rabin - Gridiron Gang

smile

This, that you're playing a recent Rabin score, reminded me of THE GUARDIAN. I heard the wonderful suite and i believe that non-releasing this was a very large omission....i wonder if it ever will.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Altered States - John Corigliano

Just finished reading an interview with Corigliano in the book THE SCORE: INTERVIEWS WITH FILM COMPOSERS and thought I'd put this one on. It's been years. Talk about a demanding listen. Completely fucked up but it's so incredibly beautiful at the same time. While it all sounds random this is truly the work of a brilliant and gifted musician. And out of this madness comes a achingly beautiful love theme heard during "First Hallucination." This is a very raw, complex, experimental, primitive, and one of the most influential scores of the 80's. So much so that it inspired composers such as Elliot Goldenthal (Corigliano's own student) and Christopher Young.

What a trip!

i think I'm going to play REVOLUTION and THE RED VIOLIN after this. And one day I'd like to hear more of his concert work.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Road To Perdition - Thomas Newman

One of my favourite scores of the decade, this is just one sublime piece of music. That opening cue is an absolute stunner, as are Cathedral, Ghosts and Road To Perdition.

Gorgeous stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Completely fucked up but it's so incredibly beautiful at the same time.

Sounds like something I need to track down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I know , I know. I just love exotic themes.

So the first Knight lacks of the Exotic feeling (obviously), The Mummy contains some annoying things (the heroic theme and the "mummy" dissonant music) and 13 warrior lacks of vibrant action music.

Anyway, this is my order of preference.

All of them rocks!!!

confused
    The 13th Warrior and lacks vibrant/action music can NOT BE in the same sentence.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Like I've always said, some opinions are just wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Not opinions so much as getting the facts wrong.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

That's very true. But it's his opinion that it lacks a certain vibrancy in the action music, and that simply is not the case! He must be deaf from all those Zimmer scores...
  2. Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Le Mepris - Georges Delerue

It doesn't get much better than this!

...apart from...

The Last Metro - Georges Delerue

Probably my favourite film theme of them all.

I'll drink to that re: Last Metro. Of La Mepris, it's not the Camille theme that gets me, it's the Overture. Incredible emotion.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidleman

I've not heard this score actually, which is not why I'm quoting this post. The quoting is more to remark that I'm appreciating your comments on Eidelman scores today!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

There are some 3 action cues in 13th Warriors vs... a gigantic load of action cues in The Mummy.

That's fact that Jordi's opinion is valid
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    That's very true. But it's his opinion that it lacks a certain vibrancy in the action music, and that simply is not the case! He must be deaf from all those Zimmer scores...

Ahem!

wanting more vibrant action music != missing vibrancy in the action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Robin Hood - Korngold - Robin Enters Great Hall/Escape the Great Hall.

Nice cues. I love how he used a short motif and built on it!! Takes me back.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Apart from Hooper's shite, this is my least played Potter score. Quite nice to return to it after so long![/blue]

Must... contain... self. crazy

*puts on Stardust*
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote:

Ahem!

What exactly is vibrant action music anyway? The action writing in The 13th Warrior sounds fantastic to me, and if that isn't "vibrant", then I'm not quite sure what is? Please do explain it to me, for I seem to lack the appropriate knowledge.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Completely fucked up but it's so incredibly beautiful at the same time.

Sounds like something I need to track down.

It's a FANTASTIC score IMO, a truly challenging listen but one I've returned to many times. I hesitate to recommend it as a 'must have', this type of atonal scoring really isn't everyones cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote:

Ahem!

What exactly is vibrant action music anyway? The action writing in The 13th Warrior sounds fantastic to me, and if that isn't "vibrant", then I'm not quite sure what is? Please do explain it to me, for I seem to lack the appropriate knowledge.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vibrant

spin Eh? I thought Jordi just wanted more exciting (vibrant) action music, and was not complaining about the lack of energy (vibrancy) in the music.