• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    NP The House of Flying Daggers - Shigeru Umebayashi
    A beautiful and relaxing score I return to often.
    The movie was on TV not so long ago and I was thinking of watching it. But when the movie started I was already listening to Poledouris with the headphones and I just couldn't turn that off!
    So now I'll just enjoy the music, still without any visuals from the movie. Is the movie any good?
    I love the score.

Now Mei and Leo is playing and that theme is just great as well, especially from 1:30 on in this track. I mean as well, because the Lovers theme is a beauty too but that speaks for itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Genius of composition? Bloody hell. Seems I should give this one a listen then!? I've never seen the film, heard the score or heard anything by John Corigliano.

Never heard this one?! shocked Oh you should, asap!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    NP The House of Flying Daggers - Shigeru Umebayashi
    A beautiful and relaxing score I return to often.
    The movie was on TV not so long ago and I was thinking of watching it. But when the movie started I was already listening to Poledouris with the headphones and I just couldn't turn that off!
    So now I'll just enjoy the music, still without any visuals from the movie. Is the movie any good?
    I love the score.

Now Mei and Leo is playing and that theme is just great as well, especially from 1:30 on in this track. I mean as well, because the Lovers theme is a beauty too but that speaks for itself.

The movie is very enjoyable, imo and visually stunning. The score is bliss, from first note to last. The "lovers" theme is one of the most outstanding melodies i've heard in film music, ever.
  1. David OC wrote
    Night - Cezary Skubiszewski

After listening to his dazzling Death Defying Acts a lot in the last few days, I've returned to his equally wonderful score to the Australian documentary feature; it's a brilliant melding of orchestral and non-orchestral styles, well worth tracking down.

Ah... two scores I shall have to get! What label released Night?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - Standard Operating Procedures

Really loving this; although i am bit confused as to whether what really makes me like it are actually the intense Philip Glass influences.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - Standard Operating Procedures

Really loving this; although i am bit confused as to whether what really makes me like it are actually the intense Philip Glass influences.

Thanks to you D this one is on my 'to get' list. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks to you D this one is off my 'to get' list. vomit

(I know, I know...but I had to. Indulge me. It's my birthday. biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The 13th Warrior (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of my favs from Goldsmith. The complete score is a jewel!

Is just me or the forum is quite in silence for the last couple of days? confused
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shhh, keep your voice down. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    NP The 13th Warrior (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of my favs from Goldsmith. The complete score is a jewel!

Is just me or the forum is quite in silence for the last couple of days? confused

SILENCE? YER JOKING AINTCHA!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thanks to you D this one is off my 'to get' list. vomit

(I know, I know...but I had to. Indulge me. It's my birthday. biggrin )

Today you can do no wrong!

open season on martijn starts august 29th wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock James Horner

Lacks the oomph of Khan, but still a very enjoyable effort.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Excellent score! ( as if I haven't said it before rolleyes ) I find it hard to chose between the two, you could say they're both part of the same score!?

A true shame it's missing the 'Death of The Enterprise' cue, one of the most poignant marriage of music and film I can think of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For me, it's easy to choose: The Wrath Of Khan. Couldn't live without it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Excellent score! ( as if I haven't said it before rolleyes ) I find it hard to chose between the two, you could say they're both part of the same score!?

A true shame it's missing the 'Death of The Enterprise' cue, one of the most poignant marriage of music and film I can think of.

Stealing Enterprise is one of my favourites Horner cues ever. beer

NP:The 13 warrior

"Exiled" it's just... beer "The fire Dragon" is another fine action cue, even if goldsmith tricks are too evident.

The main theme is one of the greatest themes composeds by GOldsmith, sadly they knew it and that's why He uses it in almost every cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    So not lacking in vibrancy anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    So not lacking in vibrancy anymore?

It still lacks.

It's more a epic score with statements of the main theme with chorus and so....but there are really only 3 action tracks, and 2 of them contains Goldsmith usual tricks (they are good, He is Goldsmith, but don't expect Total Recall or Rambo).

Compare Lancelot in Pursuite from First Knight with Horns of Hell.

NP:Marco Polo (Morricone)

one of the most gorgeous themes I ever heard.

Zimmer really must love this score, because some string composition is take it from that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A trick is something with an unremarkable explanation. There was nothing unremarkable about Goldsmith's 'usual tricks'. wink

To be honest, I think you're being far too picky and unfairly comparing it to other scores. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You mean the piece where the Enterprise burns up in the atmosphere?
    Listen to the final act of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet and you'll find it there! wink
    But yes, it is a great track indeed!
    Bring out the COMPLETE Star Trek 2 & 3 scores someone please!
  2. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You could certainly say that they are two parts of one whole score. When it comes to which one I prefer (if anyone is asking!) then I'd have to go with The Wrath of Khan: the battle music in this score and the slightly drawn-out music towards the end of Star Trek III settles it for Khan.

NP: "End Titles" - Lifeforce - Henry Mancini
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You mean the piece where the Enterprise burns up in the atmosphere?
    Listen to the final act of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet and you'll find it there! wink
    But yes, it is a great track indeed!
    Bring out the COMPLETE Star Trek 2 & 3 scores someone please!

I'm well aware of those Prokofiev influences, particularly in Stealing The Enterprise, all brilliantly used IMO.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    franz_conrad wrote
    David OC wrote
    Night - Cezary Skubiszewski

After listening to his dazzling Death Defying Acts a lot in the last few days, I've returned to his equally wonderful score to the Australian documentary feature; it's a brilliant melding of orchestral and non-orchestral styles, well worth tracking down.

Ah... two scores I shall have to get! What label released Night?

Hey Michael, Night was released on Origin records, I found it down here in a Borders store last week. It's very good, though not quite as good as Death Defying Acts which is easily one of the best 2 or 3 new scores I've heard this year.

NP: Brideshead Revisited - Adrian Johnston

My first taste of this composer's music (with Becoming Jane also sitting in the pile) and it's quite good, with some nice melodies, others fairly nondescript - but the main theme heard in the first cue on piano is a beauty and likely to be hard to dislodge from my head I'm guessing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore
    Just the original. So I can listen to all three today.

Alan if you read this: I had to think of you of course when I heard The Prophecy !
    In Bristol Alan got the goosebumps just by thinking of and talking about that piece The Prophecy.
    smile

I love returning to these scores after a long while. I sometimes forget how great some of the tracks are, for instance The Treason of Isengard. Man, so powerful!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Medal Of Honor Saga (Giacchino)

MOH. Undergournd, Frontlint, Allien Assault (wich contains my favourite main theme, sadly the new material is short) and Airborne (Wich changes the MOH sound, and it take more the dissonant approach or M:I3 or Lost. Anyway it has MOH main theme).

a great example of how to do a musical saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Undergournd, Frontlint, Allien Assault

Aka Underground, Frontline and Allied Assault.
  3. NP: The Beautician and the Beast - Cliff Eidelman

An underplayed work by an underused composer. I haven't listened to this in ages. I returned to this because its theme was used in a certain scene in the game Bioshock (Cohen part). But what a theme it is! I guess I'll have that theme played in my head for a while! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Allien Assault

Oh man, this certainly has made me laugh.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Allien Assault

Oh man, this certainly has made me laugh.

ahahahahaah me too! wink biggrin

good one , steven. Seriously!
  4. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

Is that the end piece, Juliet's Death? Such a long time ago since I saw that film.