• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Needs no comments from me! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Needs no comment from anybody. The best Bond score ever, I think. Yes, it surpasses even Goldfinger which would deserve a better mix too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Baten Kaitos - Motoi Sakuraba

It's wonderful music that just so happens to be for a video game, which is also very good if you like RPG games. But the music really does deserve to be heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Matt C wrote
    JP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

Am I the only one who unabashedly loves this? I love the more modern flourishes (on album "Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed" doesn't work as well by itself but after watching the film it works beautifully), and the mood is enthusiastic. It may not be as good as "Raiders" or "Temple" but it's a worthy Indy score. (Wish there was more news about the Indy soundtrack re-releases...)

I find this score more annoying in every listen. Wich starts being a really interesting motif, the crystal skull motif, becomes boring and repetitive. "temple ruins and the secret Revealed" is a music that doesn't fit in a Indiana Jones movie.For darker it could be.And from the half of the album to the end almost this is what you have.....

The action stuff is unfocused and just ridiculous.

In fact, I'm starting to hate the movie too. For more they wanted to make just an entertaining movie, it doesn't excuses this stupid script and the over use of GGI (GOD George, look LOTR trilogy...)

NP:MOH Airborne

Revisiting this one, and it's better than I remembered.

The themes are far from be so memorable than in the first 3 scores, but Airborne it's more action packed and with Giacchinos M:I3 sound more present.

When you are in the mood, it rocks! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

NP:MOH Airborne

Revisiting this one, and it's better than I remembered.

The themes are far from be so memorable than in the first 3 scores, but Airborne it's more action packed and with Giacchinos M:I3 sound more present.

When you are in the mood, it rocks! punk

My favorite MOH score, it absolutely rocks. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

One of the most beautiful and elegant scores of modern film music, imo and certainly one very strong and personal musical experience for me that never looses any of its value or emotional impact no matter how much time passes since the first listen. Desplat continuously proves he's a rather extraordinary composer and "Birth" is one of his greatest achievements so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

imo and certainly one very strong and personal musical experience for me that never looses any of its value or emotional impact no matter how much time passes since the first listen.

Agree, it captures perfectly life,death and reencarnation.

NP: Roar!(Giacchino) and Godzilla (Arnold)

In monster mood.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'm travelling around a bit this morning. First I listened to El Misterio del Nilo - Giro / Wood. This score is still great, it just never bores me. I return to it very often.

Now I'm listening Himalaya by Bruno Coulais. Well, the same can be said about this one. Also a favourite of mine.

Next, if I still have some time left, I'll listen to Two Brothers by Stephen Warbeck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    I'm travelling around a bit this morning. First I listened to El Misterio del Nilo - Giro / Wood. This score is still great, it just never bores me. I return to it very often.

Now I'm listening Himalaya by Bruno Coulais. Well, the same can be said about this one. Also a favourite of mine.

Next, if I still have some time left, I'll listen to Two Brothers by Stephen Warbeck.

All gorgeous choices, bravo Bregje! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Just found at local library:

NP: NOSTALGIA: PIANO STORIES III - Joe Hisaishi

sounds very hisaishi smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Nautilus wrote
    NP: Roar!(Giacchino)

Speaking about that...

We watched the film on DVD the other day...

And when my bro heard that piece in the end credits, his first reaction was "It's just... ridiculous..."

And I can't agree more... It's a good piece of music, I have no problem with it... But why in THIS film ?? It has NOTHING in common with the mood of the movie...

The movie had no music until the credits, and it was perfect...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

And when my bro heard that piece in the end credits, his first reaction was "It's just... ridiculous..."

And I can't agree more... It's a good piece of music, I have no problem with it... But why in THIS film ?? It has NOTHING in common with the mood of the movie...

that's why probably only is in the End credits tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Deception (Ramin Djawadi)

After Iron Man it was almost impossible to do it worse, so at least this is listenable, and there are some nice piano/string/guitar driven tracks. Djawadi can´t avoid his annoying rythms and synths in some other cues though.
    Let´see how does he starts Prison Break´s 4th season today.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Pom Poko - Shang Shang Typhoon

I don't know how much this film is known outside Japan. And I've never seen anyone mention this soundtrack at film music websites. This score is composed & performed by an unique Japanese band.

How can I describe it? It's odd. Bizarre. Crazy. And very fun. They mixed Japanese music with rock, jazz, mambo, samba, country, etc, sometimes quoting traditional folk songs and old children's songs. It's omnivorous, like tanukis (raccoon dogs), as the director said!

I love the movie too. Actually it's my favorite Ghibli movie. Highly recommended! biggrin

I will look into it. I love Ghibli movies and the music sounds interesting. Bye the way, I almost named my cat Tanuki. But then I didn't think it appropriate after I looked more into the meaning of the word.

Yeah, there are lots of idioms include tanuki, mostly bad meaning. But they're well-loved creatures here... smile

Have you seen Pom Poko movie? If so, you can understand the score... if not, I'm not sure what you'll think of tracks like "Tanuki's Mambo"... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Blind Dating - Heitor Pereira (from his website)

Nothing special, but a pleasant listen. I like "Opening" track.

And nice guitar performance! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

Something tells me that if it had been for one of those thousand-heard generic RC bull instead, your brother would go bananas over it wink
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

Something tells me that if it had been for one of those thousand-heard generic RC bull instead, your brother would go bananas over it wink

Well, you can think what you want, but it's not and will never be something else than Giacchino...

By the way, what the hell are you doing on the H-Z.com board ?

You know, it's definitely not the right place for you (and you just use it as a "scoremagacine" BIG ad)...

I should speak very seriously with Antas & Nico... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

It's a homage to the Toho studios monster movies like Gojira ( aka Godzilla ) etc and in particular the composer of most of those films, Akira Ifukube. I guess you could argue it's a "nod and a wink" touch that many people won't get and is unnecessary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

Well, you can think what you want, but it's not and will never be something else than Giacchino...

You know, it's definitely not the right place for you (and you just use it as a "scoremagacine" BIG ad)...

Use it as a big scoremagacine.com ad? LOL, that's something! Chill man, the way you "get" things further showcases your immaturity.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Speaking about that...

Use it as a big scoremagacine.com ad? LOL, that's something! Chill man, the way you "get" things further showcases your immaturity.

This is not from me... Nicolas told me that the other day...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, whatever you say. Now i'd say chill and play along without harassing members each time you have the impression you're being attacked (which is 90% of your time here) and if you want to say something to me, say it via pm without polluting the thread. Nobody is obligated to read this junk coming from you, and my replies.

This is the now playing thread, back on topic.

still playing ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

I really like the way Desplat introduced several trademarked elements of his music early on from his French movie background, further developed and established them in this very score here and which were to be used in various ways and frequencies from now on, like for e.g. in the excellent THE PAINTED VEIL. Birth is - imo, and in various ways, a very important point in Desplat's colorful career so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    It seems I'm in Monster movie mood today. Roar, Godzilla, Hellboy 2 (wich is running up to my favourite Elfman score, and one of the bests of the year, and now....

NP:The lost World (Williams)

"Journey to the island" aside, I find this score far more enjoyable than the first one and his over sacharine theme.

The Lost World Theme is another typical Monster movie theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    It seems I'm in Monster movie mood today. Roar, Godzilla, Hellboy 2 (wich is running up to my favourite Elfman score, and one of the bests of the year, and now....

"Journey to the island" aside, I find this score far more enjoyable than the first one and his over sacharine theme.

What exactly IS a "typical" monster movie theme according to you Jordi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What exactly IS a "typical" monster movie theme according to you Jordi?

I don't know, drums and Horns slowly played ...Simulating the move of a Big guy.

NP:Hellboy 2

I never thought I could say this but, Im addicted to an Elfman score!!!

And the hell is freezing!

The golden Army theme is beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - The Big Picture

Great compilation of bold, loud, epic, action themes mostly from 90´s blockbusters. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

Great compilation of bold, loud, epic, action themes mostly from 90´s blockbusters. punk

Interesting ,haven't heard of that yet but whatever i have heard from this ensemble so far simply rocked! Do you have a tracklisting for this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Try this, it even has samples:

http://www.amazon.de/The-Big-Picture-Me … amp;sr=8-1

Some of this stuff is great, others not so, as usual with things like those.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DOCTOR ZHIVAGO - Maurice Jarre

A much maligned score, mostly from people who've heard no more than 'Lara's Theme'.

This is a great score to a great film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Try this, it even has samples:

http://www.amazon.de/The-Big-Picture-Me … amp;sr=8-1

Some of this stuff is great, others not so, as usual with things like those.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Interesting ,haven't heard of that yet but whatever i have heard from this ensemble so far simply rocked! Do you have a tracklisting for this?

And this one is also great:

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-and-Comma … amp;sr=8-2