• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008 edited
    I just noticed the track titles got messed up there. biggrin But I´m sure you´ll recognise most stuff anyway.

And the better stuff is in the second half of the CD, definitely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - The Big Picture

Great compilation of bold, loud, epic, action themes mostly from 90´s blockbusters. punk

Interesting ,haven't heard of that yet but whatever i have heard from this ensemble so far simply rocked! Do you have a tracklisting for this?

And this one is also great:

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-and-Comma … amp;sr=8-2

I think i've heard this one before?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I just listeend to it the other day for the first time and the themes from all the golden age scores are awesome.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DOCTOR ZHIVAGO - Maurice Jarre

A much maligned score, mostly from people who've heard no more than 'Lara's Theme'.

This is a great score to a great film!

In fact Lara's theme easily ranks at the very top of great themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I just noticed the track titles got messed up there. biggrin But I´m sure you´ll recognise most stuff anyway.

And the better stuff is in the second half of the CD, definitely.

OMG the Speed Main Theme rocks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    I just listeend to it the other day for the first time and the themes from all the golden age scores are awesome.

beer

I haven't hear this one but Kunzel's recordings are top drawer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

beer

I haven't hear this one but Kunzel's recordings are top drawer.

Indeed, the themes from "The Buccaneer", "The Sea Hawk", etc are stunning.

And in The Big Picture album, my god I didn´t think (until now) that Crimson Tide´s main theme could sound good with a real orchestra. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I would agree on all of the classic scoring stuff, but most Zimmer style rerecordings just sound awful, because Kunzel would use actual drums for rhythm instead of computer enhanced stuff, and it doesn´t suit the music at all (I think). But the classic style is amazing most of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I would agree on all of the classic scoring stuff, but most Zimmer style rerecordings just sound awful, because Kunzel would use actual drums for rhythm instead of computer enhanced stuff, and it doesn´t suit the music at all (I think). But the classic style is amazing most of the time.

Wait 'till you hear the....."others" recordings vomit

*cough* Prague *cough*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I just listened the Main Theme from Crimson Tide in the "The Big Picture" CD and trust me, it sounds incredibly good. Actually, is the first time I heard this theme with a full (real) orchestra and I´m highly impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

rolleyes

Ah come on, don't you agree that Kunzel's recordings are ages better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

rolleyes

Not ages, centuries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

Another CPPO hater, eh? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I have the CD (big Picture). Crimson Tide is one of the better rerecordings, but still much beneath the original. And Kunzel´s version of The Rock just gives me the creeps (can´t remember the album name).

I know the Prague orchestra has its good and bad days. I know their Best of Zimmer album, some of it, I like, some of it, I don´t. If it comes to Zimmer rerecordings, I prefer the original most of the time, but classic rerecordings can be truly spectacular, both from Kunzel and from Prague.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

rolleyes

For sure! But the Prague are continually improving, getting better all the time and your negative comments are now getting old, fast! tongue

and i'm in a very friendly mood today cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

No, not a hater, but whenever i have the choice, i just don't.....choose them biggrin
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Pom Poko - Shang Shang Typhoon

I don't know how much this film is known outside Japan. And I've never seen anyone mention this soundtrack at film music websites. This score is composed & performed by an unique Japanese band.

How can I describe it? It's odd. Bizarre. Crazy. And very fun. They mixed Japanese music with rock, jazz, mambo, samba, country, etc, sometimes quoting traditional folk songs and old children's songs. It's omnivorous, like tanukis (raccoon dogs), as the director said!

I love the movie too. Actually it's my favorite Ghibli movie. Highly recommended! biggrin

I will look into it. I love Ghibli movies and the music sounds interesting. Bye the way, I almost named my cat Tanuki. But then I didn't think it appropriate after I looked more into the meaning of the word.

Yeah, there are lots of idioms include tanuki, mostly bad meaning. But they're well-loved creatures here... smile

Have you seen Pom Poko movie? If so, you can understand the score... if not, I'm not sure what you'll think of tracks like "Tanuki's Mambo"... biggrin

I'm on a quest to see all the Studio Ghibli films. I'll definitely try to see Pom Poko. Plus I love raccoons. Just the other day I watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time and it was great. I plan on getting the music because it was really nice in the film, and I like the music for The Cat Returns.

NP: The Forbidden Kingdom - David Buckley

I've been playing this a lot recently. From the second I saw the film I knew I loved this music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

*cough* Prague *cough*

No, not a hater, but whenever i have the choice, i just don't.....choose them biggrin

And sometimes there is NO choice.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    still playing ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

I really like the way Desplat introduced several trademarked elements of his music early on from his French movie background, further developed and established them in this very score here and which were to be used in various ways and frequencies from now on, like for e.g. in the excellent THE PAINTED VEIL. Birth is - imo, and in various ways, a very important point in Desplat's colorful career so far.

A very special score. Austere and emotionally intense at the same time.

NP: Youth without Youth (Golijov)

Music to really swoon to. There's a real sense of old world romance to this score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DOCTOR ZHIVAGO - Maurice Jarre

A much maligned score, mostly from people who've heard no more than 'Lara's Theme'.

This is a great score to a great film!

In fact Lara's theme easily ranks at the very top of great themes.

It doesn't help that Lara's theme appears 500 times in the score... damn those balalaika players who couldn't read Jarre's 'Zhivago theme'. It's the much better tune of the two! slant

Have you ever heard Ludovico Einaudi's lovely score for the British miniseries made a few years ago? Sacriliege though it may seem, I think he gives Jarre a run for his money.
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    Have you ever heard Ludovico Einaudi's lovely score for the British miniseries made a few years ago? Sacriliege though it may seem, I think he gives Jarre a run for his money.

Reading the earlier comments the same thought crossed my mind. Einaudi's score is well worth hunting down.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Reading the earlier comments the same thought crossed my mind. Einaudi's score is well worth hunting down.

Well, you can't really compare an epic approach with something more intimate. But that's also the difference in both the movies. But it's a good score indeed. It still seems to be available at Amazon UK.
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    Well, you can't really compare an epic approach with something more intimate. But that's also the difference in both the movies. But it's a good score indeed. It still seems to be available at Amazon UK.

I think you can compare, and rather favourably for the Einaudi score. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

I think you can compare, and rather favourably for the Einaudi score. wink

Not seen the film or heard the score.
  5. The film isn't that good (then again, Lean's film isn't exactly LAWRENCE standard despite it's gorgeous look), but it's quite a fine score. Worth checking out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    The film isn't that good (then again, Lean's film isn't exactly LAWRENCE standard despite it's gorgeous look), but it's quite a fine score. Worth checking out.

I'll just have to add this to a rapidly growing list.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Who'll Stop the Rain - Laurence Rosenthal

I've never been a fan of Rosenthal but this is the best score I've heard of his - dark and foreboding with a great main theme with some seriously bleak weight behind it. The mono sound is terrible but the quality of the music certainly outweighs it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Youth without Youth (Golijov)

Music to really swoon to. There's a real sense of old world romance to this score.

That was probably about the most in-depth and original musical work i've heard the last 2 or 3 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Philip Glass- Cassandra's dream : a pretty unknown filmscore , but it's Philip Glass's genius written all over it : 4,5 * I want to see that movie.

Philip Glass and others : The truman show : no words needed I suppose, very coherent and diverse

Armand Amar : le premier cri and la jeune fille et les loups : This man is one of the most impressive recent composers who stole my heart , I'm moved by every listen but these two scores miss some monumental themes to be really unforgettable.

Man on fire : instant classic

the dark knight : the first score had more powerful epic sequences but JNH en HZ have delivered a worthy second score with some fantastic moments with The Joker-theme.