• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Christoph wrote
    Philip Glass- Cassandra's dream : a pretty unknown filmscore , but it's Philip Glass's genius written all over it : 4,5 * I want to see that movie.

Totally agree, the furious main titles are the most impressive single piece i've heard this year. I've seen the *very good* movie too and it fits like a glove although a bit more aggressive than the movie it accompanies. Still 5/5 stuff, recommended.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Stuart Chatwood and Inon Zur

There are some very good themes here, probably the strongest ones of all PoP games so far but regrettably the hideous metal approach during the action tracks doesn't give this score a chance to be praised. Unlike many people I never thought the use of electric guitars were wrong here but I thought they overused it. To me nothing but guitars could make tracks like "Struggle in the Library" or "Welcome Within" as effective as they are but then most other action cuse, especially the heart pounding "Escape The Dahaka" sequence (where the screen turns to black and white and a huge beast follows the Prince)... you know this kind of music simply doesn't work. It's silly unfitting and very annoying.

My favorite cues are the quieter, ambient tunes, like "Avoid The Guards", "Hallways" (not included on the OST), and Inon Zur's orchestral score for the cinematic cut-scenes. Shadee's (the girl in black custom) Dudok theme towards the end of "The Chase of Time" (the opening cinematic music) is terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Stuart Chatwood and Inon Zur

There are some very good themes here, probably the strongest ones of all PoP games so far but regrettably the hideous metal approach during the action tracks doesn't give this score a chance to be praised. Unlike many people I never thought the use of electric guitars were wrong here but I thought they overused it. To me nothing but guitars could make tracks like "Struggle in the Library" or "Welcome Within" as effective as they are but then most other action cuse, especially the heart pounding "Escape The Dahaka" sequence (where the screen turns to black and white and a huge beast follows the Prince)... you know this kind of music simply doesn't work. It's silly unfitting and very annoying.

My favorite cues are the quieter, ambient tunes, like "Avoid The Guards", "Hallways" (not included on the OST), and Inon Zur's orchestral score for the cinematic cut-scenes. Shadee's (the girl in black custom) Dudok theme towards the end of "The Chase of Time" (the opening cinematic music) is terrific.

Not agree.

I prefer The Sands of Time by far. it captured the mood of the game much better. More ethnic and arabian nights feeling.

In the other hand, Sands of time had less music, because it was less intrusive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SANDS OF TIME is a piece or the title of another score?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    SANDS OF TIME is a piece or the title of another score?

It's the original (well...not original, but first 3D) version of POP. Not too sure who composed it as I've never owned the soundtrack. Jordi is right though - the first game captures the whole mood better than the others. And from what Sylvos says, this sounds like a repeat of the score to Warrior Within (the second POP game).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Nautilus wrote
    I prefer The Sands of Time by far. it captured the mood of the game much better. More ethnic and arabian nights feeling.

In terms of "capturing the mood", I agree with you. SoT did a fine job both in action and ambient sequences. But in terms of thematic ideas I still think WW was the best. Like I said, it was the metal approach that ruined it. Just listen to a complete game-rip and you'll see how much awesome, ethnic stuff there were and how little (to nothing) role they gave to these great cues inside the game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Jade Empire - Jack Wall

Very good stuff in here. Haven't played the game but on its own, I'd rank this one among the video game industry's best. Love the ethnic elements, love the action stuff, the ambient cues are boring at times but there are enough good music to save the album.My favorite tracks are: Way of The Open Palm, Jade Empire Main Theme, Fury, Hammer and Tongs, Death's Hand Suite, Metropolis I and II, Ballad of The Drunken Revellers, Into The Fray, Wine and Women, Tribute, The Way of The Closed Fist and lastly Sanctuary... Now that's a lot for a single album! Obviously a pure 5 star score for me! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    NP : 3 TOUGH GUYS - Isaac Hayes

Exactly what you'd expect from the Shaft composer, funky 1970's urban rythms, this is a good score, y'dig!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A somewhat rare CD of the uncompressed 20,000 Leagues. As some of you know this is only available as a download. There is a difference, believe me.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Today was a study day. First study day after returning to the university.

During the day I listened to:
    the Lethal Weapon's
    Four Feathers
    The Painted Veil
    My Life
    The Ghost And The Darkness
    and a little Bobby Darin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Today was a study day. First study day after returning to the university.

During the day I listened to:
    the Lethal Weapon's
    Four Feathers
    The Painted Veil
    My Life
    The Ghost And The Darkness
    and a little Bobby Darin

All those great scores topped off.......with a little Bobby Darin!? shocked spin biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, the shark, babe, <snap fingers> has such teeth, dear <yeh>
    And it shows them <snap fingers> pearly white
    Just a jackknife <mmmm> has old MacHeath, babe <snap fingers>
    And he keeps itttaaaaah oudda sight. <snap fingers> <snap fingers>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You Gospel nut
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    You Gospel nut

Nope! Swing baby!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Better believe it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Duchess - Rachel Portman

Not over-keen. I criticise Portman for always writing the same thing on the chick-flicks, but actually whenever she tries something else I think it's not very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Not over-keen. I criticise Portman for always writing the same thing on the chick-flicks, but actually whenever she tries something else I think it's not very good.

Is this the something else or the chick flick type of score? Any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Is this the something else or the chick flick type of score? Any good?

It is almost something else. It's a bit darker and less happy than the scores of hers that everyone tends to like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kinda like THE HUMAN STAIN or THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE then?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it!

Not sure what you intended to link here to bud?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it!

Oh! Hey! Oops!

Fixed now. Thanks, Tim. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe more like Oliver Twist.

I hated HATED HATED HATED HATED The Manchurian Candidate. Haven't heard The Human Stain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe more like Oliver Twist.

I hated HATED HATED HATED HATED The Manchurian Candidate. Haven't heard The Human Stain.

Well they aren't in the same league at all, the human stain and the candidate. But they both run under darker approaches for the usual Portman. I think you'll like Human Stain; fragile, piano-led score. Why didn't you like THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE btw? Granted it's a bit under-developed and certainly repetitive but i quite liked its raw nature, especially for a Portman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it!

Oh! Hey! Oops!

Fixed now. Thanks, Tim. smile

And cool or what cool

There you go D.

Big difference between "gospel" and SWING biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not so much when you see printed lyrics. biggrin Oh and when i viewed the video, i thought nothing "fixed" about it shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not so much when you see printed lyrics. biggrin Oh and when i viewed the video, i thought nothing "fixed" about it shocked

I thought "snap" not "clap" would be a big giveaway wink

NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

This is a classic score, I love this, easily in my Zimmer top 3 cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nice stuff from Portman.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I thought "snap" not "clap" would be a big giveaway wink

shame

n.p. STEVE JABLONSKY - D-war

Although pointless to ask, still: no love for this one? I am playing it very loud and although it's completely braindead, still it's LOTS of fun and i am deeply enjoying it as we speak.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

Although pointless to ask, still: no love for this one?

Are you kidding? I love it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Although pointless to ask, still: no love for this one?

Are you kidding? I love it! punk

Although TRANSFORMERS redux basically, it's lots of fun indeed.