• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: El Cid - Miklos Rozsa
    The City of Prague Philharmonic conducted by Nic Raine

Everyone should purchase this NOW! But if you want to wait a little bit more I'll be featuring this on my show soon.

Whoah! $40 and 3 1/2 hours of music! shocked
    For once I'll agree with Thor's view on expanded scores. This one is just too much for me.
    I will check it out on SST and Erik's show though.

Trust me when I say that it's not that much to handle. It's actually two CD's with a third disc of bonus material including alternate takes, a suite from Double Indemnity, video footage from the sessions, photos, notes and a video interview with James Fitzpatrick and Nic Raine. Plus, you get a detailed booklet, track-by-track analysis and wonderful packaging. It's worth it. And the music flows beautifully. You need to hear every single note.... the way themes develop, the pulse pounding actin material, etc. It's all GOLD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fuga dal Paradiso - Michel Legrand

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!

... any good?

Yes! If you like Legrand's more expansive side.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fuga dal Paradiso - Michel Legrand

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!

... any good?

Yes! If you like Legrand's more expansive side.

I love Legrand and will take this as a good recommendation cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik wave

EL CID

Good film, check it out! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    YOKO KANNO - Wolf's rain O.S.T 2

Stunningly lyrical orchestral beauty.

YES! I'm so glad someone else likes her Wolf's Rain music. I am a huge fan of the show so I know the context, and believe me, her music really gives the show emotion and makes things quite dramatic.

Both albums are great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Panthera wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

YES! I'm so glad someone else likes her Wolf's Rain music. I am a huge fan of the show so I know the context, and believe me, her music really gives the show emotion and makes things quite dramatic.

Both albums are great.

Have you listened to her work for Sousei No Aquarion? It's dramatic powerhouse like Brain Powered and Escaflowne and Turn A Gundam. Same musical melange of styles and tons of melody. The last several orchestral tracks of the 2nd vol is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Beowulf~Alan Silvestri
    I'm rocking up the hotel but i don't care at all!I love this score!!!And most importantly I found a house!!!I'm moving in tomorrow and it's beautiful!!! bounce

VERY VERY Glad for you hon! How is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Both albums are great.

Have you listened to her work for Sousei No Aquarion? It's dramatic powerhouse like Brain Powered and Escaflowne and Turn A Gundam. Same musical melange of styles and tons of melody. The last several orchestral tracks of the 2nd vol is gorgeous.

No and i must! I am a huge fan of Esanflowe and Turn A Gundam, and also both the Wolf's Rain albums. Completely stunning music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ATLI ORVARSSON - Vantage Point

I quite like this score. I noticed its merits when i viewed the brainless but very entertaining film it accompanied and especially during its climax, the music got surprisingly melodic and dramatic. I am looking forward to Atli's upcoming works, i really think he has the ability to stand out of the RC crowd.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ATLI ORVARSSON - Vantage Point

I quite like this score. I noticed its merits when i viewed the brainless but very entertaining film it accompanied and especially during its climax, the music got surprisingly melodic and dramatic. I am looking forward to Atli's upcoming works, i really think he has the ability to stand out of the RC crowd.

I didn't much like this score, generically sounding like too many others.

The film was entertaining if overly convoluted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes but it had potential. I'd personally take Atli over the usual bunch of Ramin Djawad-isms anyday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yes but it had potential. I'd personally take Atli over the usual bunch of Ramin Djawad-isms anyday.

To me that's like saying I prefer a rotten egg over a really rotten egg wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Hancock (Powell)

After to watch the movie I appreciate more some cues.

Until now Suv Chase, Hollywood BLvd and Superhero and the moon was the only tracks I played.

Now I find "Death and transfiguration" (sadly for the annoying "soul" thing) pretty touching.

"to War" is not in the movie, Powell (or Berg) used a parody of Superman theme, wich luckly is not in the cd ( It's curios to hear powell arranging or parodiyng Williams's superman but I find a Silly decision as a musical direction )

The movie is good, unpretensious and entertaining. And Will Smith he's...well, I admire him. He conducted sooooooooo well his career. and he is not like Denzel Washington who always is the "macho" of the movie, Will smith shows more sensibility.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Hancock (Powell)

Now I find "Death and transfiguration" (sadly for the annoying "soul" thing) pretty touching.

Yup, it's a pretty damn good cue. Not keen on how it just fades away at the end though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods

Scintillating score. Perfect in every way, shape and form. A true masterpiece. A 5 star effort. Absolutely brilliant. Anyone else want to chime in? tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Scintillating score. Perfect in every way, shape and form. A true masterpiece. A 5 star effort. Absolutely brilliant. Anyone else want to chime in? tongue

-Erik-

So is this a new re-recording on the original 1961 recording??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This is the new Tadlow re-recording. Stunning! And the Entr'acte March... WOW! The Prague Phil performed the shit out of it! That one is going into My Favorites playlist.

You know... I think this could be my favorite Rozsa score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE: Elmer Bernstein. This is one of his finer efforts when you place the music in the film.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This is the new Tadlow re-recording. Stunning! And the Entr'acte March... WOW! The Prague Phil performed the shit out of it! That one is going into My Favorites playlist.

You know... I think this could be my favorite Rozsa score.

-Erik-

Now I've confirmation it's not going to sound like it was recorded in the 60's, I'll track it down! wink
  1. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

My mother really loves that movie, so, based on the web site´s fantastic sound clips, I got her this rerecording for her birthday at the end of September. Since it´s a gift, I won´t open the wrapping, so I wouldn´t know whether it really is that good, but it´s nice to hear it´s great, especially from you, Erik, since if there´s one thing I know about you, it´s that you know when this kind of stuff is done right. So thanks for the info. I´m happy I got this thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

My mother really loves that movie, so, based on the web site´s fantastic sound clips, I got her this rerecording for her birthday at the end of September. Since it´s a gift, I won´t open the wrapping, so I wouldn´t know whether it really is that good, but it´s nice to hear it´s great, especially from you, Erik, since if there´s one thing I know about you, it´s that you know when this kind of stuff is done right. So thanks for the info. I´m happy I got this thing.

Your mom is going to love it! Excellent gift!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Butcher Boy - Elliot Goldenthal

A typically eclectic, typically impressive score from EG.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote

Thanks... Yeah, I think she´ll really dig that one. She is a record seller by profession, very deep into classical music, and enjoys a good score from time to time, so she´ll know immediately this is something special, and it´s nice to know that it even sounds that way. wink
  2. Southall wrote

Not familiar with it, it's in the style of what other Goldenthal work?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Thanks... Yeah, I think she´ll really dig that one. She is a record seller by profession, very deep into classical music, and enjoys a good score from time to time, so she´ll know immediately this is something special, and it´s nice to know that it even sounds that way. wink

You sir, have a very cool mom cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

A little bit of everything! A Michael Collins-style elegy finale, wild action music, very dissonant music elsewhere. All this in only just over 20 minues of score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    DreamTheater wrote
    You sir, have a very cool mom cool

You have no idea. She´s currently watching the 3rd season of the new Battlestar Galactica series, and having a hell of a time. biggrin

You know, she couldn´t help but get sucked into my world of the fantastic. I took her to every cool movie. When I showed her The Terminator, her immediate reaction after that was: "Wasn´t there a second movie? You got that one too?"

We saw the first LOTR in theatre together, and she got really scared by all those orcs. When the second part came, she asked when we´d go, and I said, "I thought you didn´t like the first one, you seemed too scared about it...", and she said, "Are you nuts? I must know what happens to that poor hairy feet guy."

At that moment I knew where most of my DNA came from. biggrin

Yeah, she´s cool. She even gets along very well with my wife. Too well, sometimes, as I have to report. They are constantly conspiring to make me the perfect husband... Resistance is futile...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin punk
  4. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

A little bit of everything! A Michael Collins-style elegy finale, wild action music, very dissonant music elsewhere. All this in only just over 20 minues of score!

Goodie!! Must track it down now! Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You Only Live Twice - John Barry

Now this is what I call a classic. The best Bond score.