• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    NP : SHE - James Bernard

This is the Hammer film version with Ursula Andress. Lovely score with an eerily haunting main theme though I personally love the Roman fanfare music most. Great score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

A great score and something to flex the ol' cerebral muscles cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Dark Knight (HZ & JNH)
    I´m watching the movie at midnight, so it´s the appropriate score to play. Can´t wait to see how it feets the picture (still think it´s a lazy effort though).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    I´m watching the movie at midnight, so it´s the appropriate score to play. Can´t wait to see how it feets the picture (still think it´s a lazy effort though).

Tell us what you think, the movie ROCKs!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Ron Goodwin / William Walton

Big, excellent stirring music.....they don't write em like this anymore!
  1. Southall wrote
    The Last of the Mohicans - Jones/Edelman

It's probably ten years since I listened to this. It's pretty good.

OMG ten years!!! I can't imagine myself not listening to the same score for so long, let alone 2 years. Every year I put on Star Wars and its sequels, because every year the itch comes back, it's the One Year Itch...

And it's strange but I was playing this exact same score this morning (the McNeely recording) but I forgot to post. I might as well put it on here now. The themes remain legendary and the action cues are great.

NP: The Last of the Mohicans: re-recording - Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman

Solid 4 STAR effort.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - You Know Who

Been a while since I've listen to this one. Although the weakest of the original trilogy, it's still a masterpiece. I await the day when a proper remastering of these scores comes out.

One thing that I always find funny when listening to Return of the Jedi is that whenever "Parade of the Ewoks" comes on, I'm reminded of this video game I used to play years ago -- Star Wars Droid Works. Does anyone remember that game? You got to build droids and complete various missions for the Jawas. It involved a lot of physics puzzles where you had to use objects and scales to open doors, collect bolts and gears to fix broken machines, etc. Ah, the memories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

The music edited in the movie is a real mess. Without any sense. And the main problem is not if there is a theme or not...the problem is what Nolan/Zimmer/howard tried to explain with the music.

In the other hand, Zimmer came up with a great and well constructed Album. Including more action and thematic devolopment.

The movie rocks?? sure it does, At least in the 3/4 parts of his long, pretensious and pedantic road.

There are a lot of minutes of cinematic genius here, sadly the filmakers knows it.

NP: Bug (tyler)

Time for a tortured mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    NP: Bose - The Forgotten Hero - A.R. Rahman

It's Independence Day here today, and what better score to play than this, which is one of the few Rahman scores to have some decent amount of score on the OST, finishing with a great orchestral rendition of our National Anthem!! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    STAR WARS: CLONE WARS - Kevin Kiner

After reading so much about how little this sounded like a Star Wars score I lowered my expectations. So when I heard it I could enjoy it for what is. Not what it isn't.
    I was surprised at the occasional Star Wars-isms that crop up every now and then where Kiner borrows from segments from Williams' scores but alters them dramatically.
    But then again he does that with other composer's material (Goldsmith, Don Davis etc).
    It's rather full on and bit 'game scoreish' but fun!
    I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

The music edited in the movie is a real mess. Without any sense. And the main problem is not if there is a theme or not...the problem is what Nolan/Zimmer/howard tried to explain with the music.

In the other hand, Zimmer came up with a great and well constructed Album. Including more action and thematic devolopment.

The movie rocks?? sure it does, At least in the 3/4 parts of his long, pretensious and pedantic road.

There are a lot of minutes of cinematic genius here, sadly the filmakers knows it.

MmmmKay slant rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Well I wouldn´t say pretentious or pedantic. I think the movie is pure genious but I felt totally overwhelmed by its darkness, tortured characters and the declining atmosphere that grows minute after minute (maybe this is what Jordi calls pretentious? I´m sure is what Nolan wanted). It´s like Batman Begins x 10! It´s like there are two movies in one: the Joker´s and Harvey Dent´s; although they are connected it seems like sometimes we are watching two separate films.
    The thing is that the film is sold like a summer blockbuster and it is NOT a summer blockbuster, far from being it.
    Glad to see that Gary Oldman has much more minutes in the sequel even if the star of the show isn´t him nor Batman, is the Joker. Ledger´s performance is great even if he has so much screen time that we discover his performance tricks after one hour and a half. Anyway, a memorable villain, a total psycho. And the final 30 minutes are sublime, SPOILER! with all the drama of the two boats (very confusing in its presentation but very, very dramatic), the two warehouses (and Joker´s final trick), the death of one character and the ending with some of the characters facing his fate / destiny. Now this is a way to finish a film.

The music, well, the Joker´s motif does what he has to do: describes perfectly the Joker´s personality, although sometimes it´s dangerously close to be unbearable (there´s a dialogue in which the motif plays non stop for more than two minutes rolleyes ); it´s the motif of the movie though, the more used, besides Dent´s one.
    I couldn´t believe that "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" wasn´t used (not even in the end credits!). The best theme of the whole score not used? And the big action sequence of the film non scored? Somebody didn´t do the math right. Whoever decided that, he commited a miserable mistake.
    The rest of the score is a cut and paste of the first one, more orchestral if you want, but overall nothing new. Come on, not a single full reprise of Molossus? Not a single epic version of Wayne´s theme? (played two times as we heard it in Batman Begins).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    I couldn´t believe that "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" wasn´t used (not even in the end credits!). The best theme of the whole score not used? And the big action sequence of the film non scored? Somebody didn´t do the math right. Whoever decided that, he commited a miserable mistake.
    The rest of the score is a cut and paste of the first one, more orchestral if you want, but overall nothing mew. Come on, not a single full reprise of Molossus? Not a single epic version of Wayne´s theme? (played two times as we heard it in Batman Begins).

That confirms what i heard too; the similar one (forget its title now) is heard during one of the final battle scenes in the building with the clowns and hostages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The rest of the score is a cut and paste of the first one, more orchestral if you want, but overall nothing mew. Come on, not a single full reprise of Molossus? Not a single epic version of Wayne´s theme? (played two times as we heard it in Batman Begins).

That confirms what i heard too; the similar one (forget its title now) is heard during one of the final battle scenes in the building with the clowns and hostages.

Yes you are right, but unbeliabable that the full theme isn´t used. That non scored action sequence in the middle of the film needed that cue! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, it was left out criminally. Don't know what goes through some people's heads, obviously. Like Jordi for instance :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, it was left out criminally. Don't know what goes through some people's heads, obviously. Like Jordi for instance :P

biggrin

Well we watched the film together last night and actually we agree in most of the important aspects, although I don´t share what he calls pretentious/pedantic. This is such an objective issue that we could be arguing for months, but I think Nolan´s vision is what it is: darkness, characters (mentally) tortured to the limit and an atmosphere of decaying that keeps you thinking about the movie after you´ve left the theater.
    A film I´ll watch again for sure; actually, I think its necessary to watch it twice (or more). It´s just too much of a film for only one screening.

Another track left out (although this one was more predictable due to its length) is "A Dark Knight", which only is listened partially at the very end. A shame, because its probably the best representation of the score, with the new Batman motif Vs the former one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Today i listened (loud) to one very underrated score, imo

GRAEME REVELL - the chronicles of Riddick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Not only underrated, but his best work IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

"A little anarchy"(with the heroic theme breafly used) and the first half of "Like a Dog.." (the string progression with the new dark theme, not the heroic theme )is used in the building with Clowns and hostages.

About Pedantic and Pretensious...It's obvious Nolan is too much in love with the characters and with his script and he doesn't want to leave them. And that's why makes the film too long and with too many endings / climaxes/ "dense" dialogues (wich is what Marselus has said too,even if he want not to say the word "pedantic" )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not only underrated, but his best work IMO.

I'd pick either The Crow or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as his best work. And his rejected Eaters of the Dead is pretty good, too. But over all, Revell's music leaves me very, VERY cold.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

I'd pick either The Crow or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as his best work. And his rejected Eaters of the Dead is pretty good, too. But over all, Revell's music leaves me very, VERY cold.

-Erik-

Red Planet, more songs than score, but the score is good!
    Call of Duty 2, some very un-Revell-like themes and action.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    About Pedantic and Pretensious...It's obvious Nolan is too much in love with the characters and with his script and he doesn't want to leave them. And that's why makes the film too long and with too many endings / climaxes/ "dense" dialogues (wich is what Marselus has said too,even if he want not to say the word "pedantic" )

Isn't that exactly what makes a great movie? Characters that you can be in love with that you don't want to leave? And you can never have too many climaxes, as long as they are done right.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    ...And you can never have too many climaxes, as long as they are done right.

Hehe... true that.

>_>
    <_<
    What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I knew that was coming cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Red Planet, more songs than score, but the score is good!

I'd say too that RED PLANET is his strongest, most emotional and beautiful work to date. Rejected eaters of the dead (thirteen warrior) is very good too, i agree with Erik but i personally can't stand The Crow (apart from the solemn, adagio-like theme) nor Mighty power rangers. Chronicles of Riddick is a dark beast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

That's what she said.

Yeah, I... I should really stop now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

That's what she said.

Depends on where you landed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dude, below the belt...

...no really, that's where.

Oh god, stop me. Please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Oh god, stop me. Please.

OK. YOU'RE BANNED.
    There. Sorted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Well, it very "un-Revell like" because... well... nevermind. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!