• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    Southall wrote
    You Only Live Twice - John Barry

Now this is what I call a classic. The best Bond score.

Brilliant! Yes!! But not as good as On Her Majesty's Secret Service cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    NP: True Grit - Elmer Bernstein
    James Fitzpatrick conducting the City of Prague Philharmonic

A classic western score that had more to it then just the catchy main theme. Sure, there's memorable themes, bouncy music and fun action material but there is some exceptional dramatic writing as well. Check out the track "Businesslike Mattie/Papa's Things" It's a shining example of Bernstein's brilliant underscore writing. It's a very modern piece that surprised this listener who admittedly isn't very familiar with this score in it's entirety.

The bonus material is great as you get to hear 5 classic (and similarity styled) themes from John Wayne films composed by Bernstein. The sound quality is above average for a Prague recording. The trumpets really stand out but I find the percussion really dominates when they show up and the reverb drowns out the rest of the orchestra. My favorite True Grit recording continues to be Bernstein/Utah Symphony recording which was re-released on Varese Sarabande a few years ago. But as for expanded editions, this Tadlow release is worth your hard earn cash.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Whether I must admit not to have heard YOLT, my favorite is OHMSS.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    NP: THE USUAL SUSPECTS...John Ottman

This is not a classic
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

This is not a classic
    Thomas smile

May not be a classic but it's one of Ottman's best scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    Fuga dal Paradiso - Michel Legrand

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!

There's not much chance of seeing this - it seems to be a European co-production TV show from the late '80s. Plot keywords from imdb.com are "mutant" and "post apocalyptic"!!

As far as the CD itself is concerned, I really like it. Very classical to my ears with some strong tracks (but I can't recall their names...I, II, VIII, etc)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!

... any good?

Yes! If you like Legrand's more expansive side.

I love Legrand and will take this as a good recommendation cool

I'd certainly add my recommendation to this CD, Tim.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: El Cid - Miklos Rozsa

Scintillating score. Perfect in every way, shape and form. A true masterpiece. A 5 star effort. Absolutely brilliant. Anyone else want to chime in? tongue

-Erik-

I would if I could but I'm still waiting for SAE to ship my copy. crazy
  5. Southall wrote

Definitely! Just edges OHMSS because of the breadth of emotions that this CD covers. OHMSS does cover similar territory but there's a brashness about it that detracts ever so slightly.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

This is not a classic
    Thomas smile

May not be a classic but it's one of Ottman's best scores.

-Erik-

Correction. It is Ottman's best score! But, for me, that may be due to the fact that this score brought Ottman to my attention and everything else he's done is measured against this. And I love the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

Scintillating score. Perfect in every way, shape and form. A true masterpiece. A 5 star effort. Absolutely brilliant. Anyone else want to chime in? tongue

-Erik-

I think the last Miklos Rozsa score I had listened to was Ben-Hur and that was a while ago. I heard a suite of El Cid (when they packaged it in the "Warriors of the Silver Screen" 2 disc compilation) but I wasn't impressed. Now that I've heard the score proper, I must say that it's great. I love the epic scope of the score, propelled by great strings and percussions and that vibrant brass sound. And there're tons of music too, which is too much for one listen though. But as a collector's piece, it's a must buy!!!!

I think I'll go back to that "Warriors" compilation and re-listen to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

... any good?

Yes! If you like Legrand's more expansive side.

I love Legrand and will take this as a good recommendation cool

I'd certainly add my recommendation to this CD, Tim.

Taken! I really love Legrand's style ( well, with a few exceptions ), a definite for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Whether I must admit not to have heard YOLT, my favorite is OHMSS.

You MUST get YOLT Pawel, it truly is a great score!

And make sure it's the expanded release! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Agree. The best Bond score by Barry

NP:El Cid (Rozsa)

WOW! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ALAMO - Dimitri Tiomkin

Chock full of melody and gorgeous themes, lovely score and quite rightly a classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIP GLASS - Secret Window

Exquisite film scoring.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I would if I could but I'm still waiting for SAE to ship my copy. crazy

As am I. slant
    Especially after messages popping up that they'd be sending out copies in the week of August 22 already, this is a little disappointing.

To be fair: of course they're doing their best, and the main thing is the box gets in, but I just wish I'd had it already. I can't wwait to compare it against the Rozsa and Sedares versions.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then make up an SAE-bashing thread, that stunt will blow maintitles' publicity to enormous heights wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ATLI ORVARSSON - Vantage Point

Been finding myself in the mood for this frequently this week.

Where is STEVEN btw?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Where is STEVEN btw?

Why when you have Harry gregson williams score wich has more personality and they are the same style?

NP:The Fury (Williams)

Good, but not the masterpiece some people say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Where is STEVEN btw?

Why when you have Harry gregson williams score wich has more personality and they are the same style?

I don't see how Man on Fire or Deja vu have stronger personalities than this. They all sound equally entertaining to me, and are very similar.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Where is STEVEN btw?

He mentioned earlier this week that he had limited internet access. He'll be back properly soon. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Where is STEVEN btw?

He mentioned earlier this week that he had limited internet access. He'll be back properly soon. smile

Time to say : There is Speed's theme in GOdZilla! and Lost in Space is a pretty dull score!!! biggrin

I was playing : Hancock

Some cues.

"Death and transfiguration" is one of the best touching moments of the year, Being watched the movie, of course.

I wished the love theme was more used (the one heard in "mary brings meat to John", wich is heard in death and transfiguration too).

Sadly the more used theme is the one for Jason Bateman character (the peace theme) heard specially in the beggining of "the moon and Superhero")

Anyway, Hollywood BLVD shows Powell really knows how to score a wife-husband scene (after his great score for Mr and Mrs smith) punk

NP:El Cid (Rozsa)

Wow....It's gorgeous!

Thanks to this recording, this sound like an score who could be composed today. (Baños? eh?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Wow, I haven't listened to this one in at least... a day. So good to hear this sort of thing from Howard, a great blend of Western and Eastern sounds. The two finale cues are still some of my favourites from JNH. Montage is a good cue also.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    NP:Black Rain (Zimmer)

My own selection, from the original realease and the (looooooooooong) bootleg.

Curious how authentic sound the asian instrumentation on that one (Obviously, the midi elements) I almost prefer this score than The last Samurai if I want Zimmer goes to Asia.

But Kung Fu Panda Wins!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Oooooh yes it is! Keep listening... and we all look forward to your updated opinion in true Jordi fashion.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Oooooh yes it is! Keep listening... and we all look forward to your updated opinion in true Jordi fashion.

-Erik-

Well, Before I go to Sleep I will play The Fury and Dracula back to back , If you are happy... tongue

Joyce's theme and Yakuza Codex are iunbealiaveable authentic in his asian sound. I say "unbeliaveable" because the rest of the 80's asian sound.

Why this score revolutioned the music of the 80 and 90' ??? it's not in nature the same of Harold Faltelmeyer did for movies like Tango and Cash????

I mean, yes , Zimmer is a genius and Harold a crap but....With this score he revolutioned??? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote

Trust me when I say that it's not that much to handle. It's actually two CD's with a third disc of bonus material including alternate takes, a suite from Double Indemnity, video footage from the sessions, photos, notes and a video interview with James Fitzpatrick and Nic Raine. Plus, you get a detailed booklet, track-by-track analysis and wonderful packaging. It's worth it. And the music flows beautifully. You need to hear every single note.... the way themes develop, the pulse pounding actin material, etc. It's all GOLD!

-Erik-

Ah the temptation... dizzy I will try...

Recently played...

Mychael & Jeff Danna - Green Dragon
    Beautiful score but there were a number of times where I felt it was very Rachel Portman-ish.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Jordi saying THE FURY is not a masterpiece? I'm sure none of us will lose sleep over that! sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Well, Before I go to Sleep I will play The Fury and Dracula back to back , If you are happy... tongue

Joyce's theme and Yakuza Codex are iunbealiaveable authentic in his asian sound. I say "unbeliaveable" because the rest of the 80's asian sound.

Why this score revolutioned the music of the 80 and 90' ??? it's not in nature the same of Harold Faltelmeyer did for movies like Tango and Cash????

I mean, yes , Zimmer is a genius and Harold a crap but....With this score he revolutioned??? rolleyes

Zimmer is a genius?????

First I heard of it!? rolleyes