• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    And rob everyone of my infinite wisdom and knowledge!? shocked

Oh right, yeah okay. Good idea actually.
  1. np--The Mummy 3.

This is my first listen to this (thanks again to Erik's show). There's a part of the main theme that it the ad theme from Bounty paper towels. All I can think of when hearing it is "the quilted, quicker picker upper..." smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    np--The Mummy 3.

This is my first listen to this (thanks again to Erik's show). There's a part of the main theme that it the ad theme from Bounty paper towels. All I can think of when hearing it is "the quilted, quicker picker upper..." smile

biggrin

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I never put those two together but it make the theme even more wimpy.

Anyway, thanks for tuning into the show!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - American Gangster - Marc Streitenfeld

I'm trying to get into this score, trying, trying... There's a theme, some interesting soundscapes being generated with the orchestra, but in the end it's too ambient for me, especially when knowing that Hans could have done something interesting with this... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED PLANET - Graeme Revell

All that talk about Revell made me put this album on......it's BRILLIANT! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

All that talk about Revell made me put this album on......it's BRILLIANT! punk cool

There wasn't that much score on the album. 5 minutes at most. Unless you have the score album confused

Regardless, good album overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Richard Marvin - Quiet Theme (End Credits #2)
    From U-571
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

There wasn't that much score on the album. 5 minutes at most. Unless you have the score album confused

It's more than that... About 15 minutes I think. And the songs actually fit in very nice with the overall sound of the score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's why I said "album" wink

A great chill out album, and quite a hit with some of my friends.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's more than that... About 15 minutes I think. And the songs actually fit in very nice with the overall sound of the score.

The songs are very fitting indeed, and very beautiful. Quite a coherent musical experience altogether, songs and score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    NP: Batman: Gotham Knight - Christopher Drake, Robert J. Kral and Kevin Manthei

Quite possibly the best Batman music I've heard since Mask of the Phantasm. This is superb... synths and all. I really enjoyed Manthei's Justice League: A New Frontier so I had some expectation coming into Gotham Knight. WOW! Incredible. The main theme evokes all the right moods... dark, gothic and melodic. Drake, Kral and Manthei do more with their two note motif than Zimmer and Howard ever did for theirs.

This animated film centres around 6 separate stories which are visually and tonally different each contain different styled scores from each composer. From classic, traditional symphonic scores to more atonal eith electronic experimentation.

Unfortunately, the first score centres around a bunch of skater kids who witness Batman's heroics therefore the score has an unfortunate rock/surf style to it. Loud, noisy and totally uninteresting. But the opening main theme is wonderful... in the spirit of the Zimmer/Howard scores but far more interesting musically. However, the second cue "Living Shadow/Living Shadow Finale" is a fantastic cue featuring some incredibly creative orchestrations. There's some B-movie horror scoring with a modern twist and Drake tips his cap to Elfman and Walker right at the end of the suite that gave me goosebumps.

"Crossfire" is really experimental. Manthei channeled anime as his influence and mashed Eastern and Western elements together for a purely electronic score. Bizarre is the perfect word to describe this short score.

Kral's "Field Test" scores goes back to a more traditional sound. Again, it stays incredibly dark with some exciting action material.

"In Darkness Dwells" is Drake making a conscience decision to tip his cap to Zimmer and Howard since dialog and characters from Nolan's vision are present in this segment. IMHO, Drake's stuff is far more interesting and creative. The electronic pulse from Zimmer and Howard's score is there but the orchestrations and more traditional elements over top over it make this the most interesting score for Nolan's vision Batman. Drake's score is what I would rather hear in our modern Batman franchise. It's far more musically interesting.

"Working Through Pain" is all Indian influences. Duduk and traditional Indina instruments are highlighted here as Bruce Wayne journeys through India searching or a way to deal with his pain and looking to others for help. While the Indian instrumentation is an interesting device in a Batman score this portion of the album really doesn't do much for me.

The last episode "Deadshot" returns to a more traditional Elfman/Walker type score but with different themes and motifs. Kral didn't want to repeat himself in this score with material from "Field Test." The highlight cue is the epic 6 minute plus track "Gordon/Batman/The Train" which contains the classic Gothic sound for Batman and some up beat heroic action material. The suite end with a lovely piano motif representing Wayne's parents.

And the album ends with the epic End Credits which blows away anything from the two new Batman films.

For the most part this is a very satisfying and surprising album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    NP Mongol (Tuomas Kantelinen)
    I can´t with those chants that dominate the score. And the rest of the music is not big deal neither.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    I can´t with those chants that dominate the score. And the rest of the music is not big deal neither.

I found it grows significantly as a musical experience with repeated listens. Have you heard ARN btw? Much better, imo. But Mongol is still above the average stuff we get these days, and the love theme is gorgeous. Orchestration / Instrumentation-wise is very interesting too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

I found it grows significantly as a musical experience with repeated listens. Have you heard ARN btw? Much better, imo. But Mongol is still above the average stuff we get these days, and the love theme is gorgeous. Orchestration / Instrumentation-wise is very interesting too.

I think Mongol is very good. The throat singing and chants adds to the experience and the western styled love theme is a delight.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

I think Mongol is very good. The thoat singing and chants adds to the experience and the western styled love theme is a delight.

-Erik-

Yeah, what i said before; you said it more directly wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Give me Siliotto´s Nomad anyday for this kind of ethnic music, curiously by the same director of Mongol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, you haven't heard ARN?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, you haven't heard ARN?

Not yet; is the same style of music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

I think Mongol is very good. The thoat singing and chants adds to the experience and the western styled love theme is a delight.

-Erik-

Yeah, what i said before; you said it more directly wink beer

I was just agreeing with you and adding in an extra cent to my two cents earlier.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Give me Siliotto´s Nomad anyday for this kind of ethnic music, curiously by the same director of Mongol.

Nomad bored the piss out of me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i told that to agree with you! spin dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Same here. At most parts (that is everything apart the opening 2 or 3 cues) it's a huge mess of styles, constantly changing little motifs and uncontrollable, necessary loudness. Kantelinen's work is refined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Haha, we are in opposite sides here I´m afraid. The same has happened to me with Mongol. I´ll check Arn out though, I see it´s a saga of adventure movies, so it might be good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the interpreter

Love it, love it! The percussion work is addictive and at places - outstanding. Also like its general easy-listening, laid-back (although serious and moody in places) and modern tone. I think it's a bit overlooked.

followed by:

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD / ANTONIO PINTO - collateral

I know it might seem odd to most, but i rate this work among the most heartfelt and original works JNH has ever done. Of course it bonds perfectly with the atmospheric Pinto contributions into a very spot-on sound that carries you away down the memory lane and the added songs further enhance the experience but still, i find JNH's contributions to be particularly inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Invaders From Mars - Christopher Young

Ummm... did some one switch my copy with Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo? First Young channels James Horner's Brainstorm in Highpoint now Jerry Goldsmith in Invaders From Mars.

Beside the shameful Goldsmith rips the main theme is a delight and one of Young's best featuring a gorgeous flute solo. I haven't gotten into the synth stuff yet but so far the main title is the only thing that has impressed me so far.

EDIT - I'm now into the synth material and... shocked Holy shit this is creeeeeeeeeepy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the interpreter

followed by:

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD / ANTONIO PINTO - collateral

I like them as well... funnily enough. tongue

NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

It's still amazing how well that Elegy For Dunkirk cue sounds, even though it's been played to death by this listener. Gorgeous track and lovely score as a whole.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Tropic Thunder - Theodore Shapiro

I think it is an entertaining action score. I like the occasional ethnic parts also. Much better than Iron Man, although I'm sure its going to be hit or miss with a lot of people as parts have a similar style.
  3. Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    I couldn´t believe that "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" wasn´t used (not even in the end credits!). The best theme of the whole score not used? And the big action sequence of the film non scored? Somebody didn´t do the math right. Whoever decided that, he commited a miserable mistake.
    The rest of the score is a cut and paste of the first one, more orchestral if you want, but overall nothing mew. Come on, not a single full reprise of Molossus? Not a single epic version of Wayne´s theme? (played two times as we heard it in Batman Begins).

That confirms what i heard too; the similar one (forget its title now) is heard during one of the final battle scenes in the building with the clowns and hostages.

Yes you are right, but unbeliabable that the full theme isn´t used. That non scored action sequence in the middle of the film needed that cue! crazy

I don't agree. I think it was nice to see an action scene without music trying to make it more exciting than it already was for once. It felt less packaged and more like anything could happen at that particular moment. Reminded me of the climactic airplane chase at the end of CAPRICORN ONE that Goldsmith chose not to score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    I don't agree. I think it was nice to see an action scene with music for once. It felt less packaged and more like anything could happen at that particular moment. Reminded me of the climactic airplane chase at the end of CAPRICORN ONE that Goldsmith chose not to score.

Maybe the same thing happened here...

HZ - JNH wrote Like a Dog for that action sequence, but in the end with Nolan decided the scene was better without the cue...

But as the cue is one of the best of the score, they decided to add it to the OST...

Or maybe, it didn't happen like that at all... biggrin
  5. In HEAT too, the famous gun battle took place without the excellent cue that Goldenthal wrote for it, and didn't exactly suffer. (Also reminded of many of the lightsabre fights in the original STAR WARS trilogy - very sparely scored. Also the Pearl Harbour attack in TORA TORA TORA - Goldsmith figured it was the one part of the film which didn't need a shot of adrenaline via music.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am