• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Throw Momma from the Train - David Newman

One of his best scores, no doubt. Full of energy and wit. And JNH fans, check out the second cue and see if there's anything you recognise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    John Powell - Bim Bam Smash
    from The Bourne Supremacy

Amazing build-up in the music, and the movie. I always tend to close my eyes when this part of the movie is around, to fully enjoy the music. Same with the ending of X-men 3. smile
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rian wrote
    John Powell - Bim Bam Smash
    from The Bourne Supremacy

Amazing build-up in the music, and the movie. I always tend to close my eyes when this part of the movie is around, to fully enjoy the music. Same with the ending of X-men 3. smile

Isn't that kinda what the CD is for? confused

You're missing a helluva scene if you do that every time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

HZ - JNH wrote Like a Dog

Who? biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Who? biggrin

Zimmer is like a dog chasing cars for sure.

( you must be sure when I had to be "bad", or make some kind of "crazy thing" in my real life, I will put "why so serious" in the background )
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Batman (elfman)

I never have heard the whole thing. I always hated Elfman.

But now..Im enjoying it!

"into the mysteri" and the final reprise always punk

The recording is exepcional!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Who? biggrin

And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Who? biggrin

And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - Chinatown

The sexy and charmingly mysterious saxophone, the urban piano and beautiful tone overall, the elegant and nostalgic main theme, the refined strings and the challenging dissonant writing for small ensemble make this one of the most colorful and vibrant scores out there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

The sexy and charmingly mysterious saxophone, the urban piano and beautiful tone overall, the elegant and nostalgic main theme, the refined strings and the challenging dissonant writing for small ensemble make this one of the most colorful and vibrant scores out there.

Trumpet D, not Sax wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean 3 : At world's End - Hans Zimmer

I Don't Think... is irresistible! One of the best Zimmer action cues ever!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
  1. Danny Elfman - Black Beauty

I saw the film yesterday and it was really great. The score isn't worse. Great, creative and heartfelt work by Elfman!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNTIL SEPTEMBER - John Barry

Though most might go for Somewhere In Time I think this is Barry's best romantic score, it's gorgeous lilting melodies, varied solo instruments including flute, flugelhorn, saxophone, piano and electric guitar ( very Dave Gilmore like ) make it a winner on every level, a far more varied score than SIT.

It's hard to find now which is a blessing for Steven who has never had the oportunity to bore his way through it tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEAR - Philippe Sarde

Great score played with gusto by the LSO cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Trumpet D, not Sax wink

Of course shame blame the heat (40oC today) and God-awful sleeping times during the last week.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Trumpet D, not Sax wink

Of course shame blame the heat (40oC today) and God-awful sleeping times during the last week.

"ouch!" tooooooo hot! shame <--swealter emoticon

It's very cool here today but with ugly grey overcast sky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Though most might go for Somewhere In Time I think this is Barry's best romantic score, it's gorgeous lilting melodies, varied solo instruments including flute, flugelhorn, saxophone, piano and electric guitar ( very Dave Gilmore like ) make it a winner on every level, a far more varied score than SIT.

It's hard to find now which is a blessing for Steven who has never had the oportunity to bore his way through it tongue wink

I think I should clarify that I find a lot of his later scores 'boring', although I love many of his themes. His earlier stuff, especially the awesome The Lion In Winter and The Last Valley, I like. A lot. (Probably an era in his career worth exploring more.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INSIDE MAN - Terence Blanchard

I'm tired of Arnold's note crunching noise fests, give the job to Blanchard, he'd be perfect for Bond.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think I should clarify that I find a lot of his later scores 'boring', although I love many of his themes. His earlier stuff, especially the awesome The Lion In Winter and The Last Valley, I like. A lot. (Probably an era in his career worth exploring more.)

Y'know I just love a little dig wink

My personal preference for Barry is definitely his 1960's and 70's output where he was incredibly creative around that time.

Have you heard WALKABOUT? It's a great choral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I'm tired of Arnold's note crunching noise fests, give the job to Blanchard, he'd be perfect for Bond.

I think Arnold should pass the baton, so to speak, but for different reasons. I think we've heard much of what he's got to offer for the franchise and I would like to see him score different kinds of films now, which is why I'm particularly excited about hearing his music for the Witch's Wardrobe Lion thingy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think Arnold should pass the baton, so to speak, but for different reasons. I think we've heard much of what he's got to offer for the franchise and I would like to see him score different kinds of films now, which is why I'm particularly excited about hearing his music for the Witch's Wardrobe Lion thingy.

Yeah, I'm intrigued to hear what he'll come up with for that too?

As for Arnold on Bond I think he had all he was going to say on it with Tomorrow Never Dies, he never gave the films an individual identity like Barry did, though even Barry tired with them from The Man With The Golden Gun onwards before going out on an excellent high with The Living Daylights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

I Don't Think... is irresistible! One of the best Zimmer action cues ever!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

I was listening it too! One memorable and addictive theme after another!

"I don't think ..." is THE BEST action cue featured in a Hans Zimmer score!

AWE is an example of Zimmer scoring in the most traditional way without losing his style. In this score he composed more orchestrally, and he scored the sequences. So if you hear the music in the movie you don't hear 3 or 4 suites mixed toegether like in The da Vinci Code or the Dark Knight.

I love every note,every cue from this score. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

This score is cool as fuck! cool

It's more of a late night, drink in hand kind of score but I just fancied playing it at a decent volume. The laid back jazzy tracks are gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

Who's this newbie shocked He'll go far, mark my words wink

This is great stuff though very raw as you'd expect from a fresh young composer about to break into the big time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARK MCKENZIE - Blizzard

Gorgeously melodic, colorful and uplifting orchestral / choral bliss.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I was listening it too! One memorable and addictive theme after another!

"I don't think ..." is THE BEST action cue featured in a Hans Zimmer score!

AWE is an example of Zimmer scoring in the most traditional way without losing his style. In this score he composed more orchestrally, and he scored the sequences. So if you hear the music in the movie you don't hear 3 or 4 suites mixed toegether like in The da Vinci Code or the Dark Knight.

I love every note,every cue from this score. beer

And the complete score is much better...

I mean, the complete "I don't think..." which lasts almost 25 minutes, is just AMAZING...

The reprise of the action sequence from POTC 1, the wedding, Beckett's death, the Parachute scene... shocked shocked

And almost ALL his team arranged the entire sequence... biggrin
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

Who's this newbie shocked He'll go far, mark my words wink

This is great stuff though very raw as you'd expect from a fresh young composer about to break into the big time.

Yeah, I agree; fantastic score. Who knows, this guy may be the right choice to score the next Trek movie or two, what do you guys think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    christopher wrote
    np--The Mummy 3.

This is my first listen to this (thanks again to Erik's show). There's a part of the main theme that it the ad theme from Bounty paper towels. All I can think of when hearing it is "the quilted, quicker picker upper..." smile

HAHA -- I thought the exact same thing when I first heard the score. It's an OK and quite catchy theme, but that quote of the advertisement just kills it for me! biggrin

NP: Wah Wah - Patrick Doyle

A wonderfully quiet and delicate score. Doyle at his best!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    NP:The Da Vinci Code

IMHO, Zimmer masterpiece.

While many other Zimmer scores goes directly to entertain or create emotion, here Zimmer can create textures and Ambients. This is a great experience to go inside a world full of mysteri, enigmas, religion and prodigiosity.

Sangreal's theme (the beggining of Fructus Gravis) and Maria Magdalene's theme (the final minutes of Rose of Arimathea) are the most beautiful composition of Zimmer's career and some of my top 10 of gorgeous compositions punk

Oh...People never mention this but, Ad Arcana is one of my favourites track from this score. Pure relaxing music (it reminds me to The Village)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous score, probably my favourite from JNH in terms of listenability.