• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    I dunno, that's why I'm asking! biggrin dizzy
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    I didn't think Earth was even released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Planet Earth was the TV series, Earth was the movie based on it. The latter used similar music, but was a new recording (with the Berlin Philharmonic) and has not been released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok then. Planet Earth is what i was talking about!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're slipping Demetris, you're slipping. Must be all those Greek women in your head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Totally in the mood now.

Planet Earth George Fenton

Majestic has never been so appropriate a word. This truly is the soundtrack to our planet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    You're slipping Demetris, you're slipping. Must be all those Greek women in your head.

And you in there chasing them around. Too much weight! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    At world's end (wich someday it will be considered like this score deserves. A classic as much the "other" Classic Pirate score is.)

Friggin' delusional.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    At world's end (wich someday it will be considered like this score deserves. A classic as much the "other" Classic Pirate score is.)

Friggin' delusional.

-Erik-

Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong. It's not as good as the other pirate scores, I'll give you that, but it may become popularized over time to the point where it becomes a "classic".

Honestly, I don't know. Just seems a bit rash to brush off such a remark so easily when there could be many factors involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I really think that in the minds and listening habits of younger film score fans, it is already even "more" classic than what you (Erik) and the older lads will consider as such; most probably they won't even like those scores anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I won't say they're classics, it's far too soon for that. But there is definitely something to be said about the Pirate scores which seem to have settled into the public conscience more than most modern scores these days. Whether that's a good or bad thing is subjective of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say i necessarily agree; thus the "in their minds and listening habits"; but they're certainly some of the most-played and most-recognizable examples of modern film music. That's a fact, whilst "Classic" is such a subjective term.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I didn't necessarily say you necessarily agree too.. necessarily. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A classic score is a perfect score along with the popularity. At World's End isn't a perfect score. It's good... very good... but it's doesn't even come close to magnificence of other swashbucklers like The Sea Hawk, The Black Swan, Captain From Castile, Captain Blood, CutThroat Island, Mutiny of the Bounty, etc. Hell, Zimmer's good old buddy old pal, Harry Gregson-Williams wrote a better score for Sinbad then Zimmer ever did for the Pirates films.

At World's End... Popular? I guess... but I'd say that the first film is the one that people tend to talk about. A Classic? No!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure that if you present the same argument to those people whom i am talking about, you'll get the looney "sounds too old-fashioned" counter-argument that flies around a lot since the d*ckhead's who did Troy rejected the first score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sure that if you present the same argument to those people whom i am talking about, you'll get the looney "sounds too old-fashioned" counter-argument that flies around a lot since the d*ckhead's who did Troy rejected the first score.

Well, they are the same bone heads who think that Transformers is the great score ever composed as well. I tend not to listen to such rubbish because that's exactly what it is.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, they are the same bone heads who think that Transformers is the great score ever composed as well. I tend not to listen to such rubbish because that's exactly what it is.

-Erik-

Heh biggrin Always fun to read good ol'Erik kind of replies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

Hell, Zimmer's good old buddy old pal, Harry Gregson-Williams wrote a better score for Sinbad then Zimmer ever did for the Pirates films.

-Erik-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! yes, yes....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    A classic score is a perfect score along with the popularity. At World's End isn't a perfect score. It's good... very good... but it's doesn't even come close to magnificence of other swashbucklers like The Sea Hawk, The Black Swan, Captain From Castile, Captain Blood, CutThroat Island, Mutiny of the Bounty, etc. Hell, Zimmer's good old buddy old pal, Harry Gregson-Williams wrote a better score for Sinbad then Zimmer ever did for the Pirates films.

I was with you until you mentioned Sinbad... you mentioned some damn fine, classic other ones though. I must listen to Captain Blood again... it's been too long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I was with you until you mentioned Sinbad... you mentioned some damn fine, classic other ones though. I must listen to Captain Blood again... it's been too long.

Yeah, although i too like SINBAD, i don't think it's at that level; not even Zimmer's POTC scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOOK - John Willams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    NP: Cherry 2000 - Basil Poledouris

...and Liam's loving every minute of it! Dancing, running around, interpretive dance, conducting, etc. Everytime a cue ends he says, "Again!" I. LOVE. THIS. KID!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote

...and Liam's loving every minute of it! Dancing, running around, interpretive dance, conducting, etc.

-Erik-

Haha, that's cute. I wish my little sister displayed a similar level of appreciation. You clearly have him well adapted.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

...and Liam's loving every minute of it! Dancing, running around, interpretive dance, conducting, etc. Everytime a cue ends he says, "Again!" I. LOVE. THIS. KID!

-Erik-

That's brilliant! biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

To be honest though, when I first discovered that I loved film scores (about 7/8 years ago), I was pretty much doing the same thing. The school bullies would have had a field day if they'd been able to peer into my bedroom window.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK ROBE - Georges Delerue

A lovely score, just right for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous score. Shame JNH isn't scoring Tree Of Life anymore. I was looking forward to JNH's musical interpretation of Malick's fascinating visual style. Oh well...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

Gorgeous score. Shame JNH isn't scoring Tree Of Life anymore. I was looking forward to JNH's musical interpretation of Malick's fascinating visual style. Oh well...

Very disappointing. Anyone know who's scoring it now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Alexandre Desplat apparently. Justin Boggan posted the news on Emile's JNH/Silvestri forum. In which case we still may get a very very good score. It's just disappointing for me, for obvious reasons. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Damn, that's bad news....it could be perfect, the perfect score from JNH. Damn!

Timmer, i wholeheartedly agree with you on BLACK ROBE, such a magnificent score!