• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

I have the house to myself so I'm being totally self indulgent and playing everything loud cool

Yet again I've decided to play the original tracks which I'm not as used to as the re-recorded album.

Hey Timmer, I just ordered The Fury - but not the Deluxe edition. I kind of prefer the original mixed together tracks and how they sound better to my ears.

I thank the members here to make me discover this small gem.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Coherent musical work with a logical structure that is purely musical...

As opposed to..?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

I have the house to myself so I'm being totally self indulgent and playing everything loud cool

Yet again I've decided to play the original tracks which I'm not as used to as the re-recorded album.

Hey Timmer, I just ordered The Fury - but not the Deluxe edition. I kind of prefer the original mixed together tracks and how they sound better to my ears.

I thank the members here to make me discover this small gem.

Cool Gilles cool

The re-record is, IMO, the better listen and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

A sublime choice!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Coherent musical work with a logical structure that is purely musical...

As opposed to..?

Lots of other game scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, righto. That's one thing that puts me off with a lot of game scores, the lack of ebb and flow that most film scores tend to have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i feel what you say. Spectacular sound on the surface but after a minute or so you realize there's no meat in it. With this, things are different. Some musical pieces are very impressive, especially all the middle eastern elements and outstanding vocal textures in the entire work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
    Rachel Portman is the perfect example of "if the shoe fits...." Really, all her scores may sound the same, but they're always so lovely! If you love one, you love 'em all. And as such you're always gonna be happy to hear more of her lovely style, as jaded as it is. She's created a perfect nook for herself: why would she need to ever change style or genre?? That said, I still do have my favourites. Leading the pack is definitely War of the Buttons.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. All that Goldsmith/Powder talk made me listen to The Final Game of his Ruby score again, which I think is one of the best tracks in his entire career. It sums up his best work; you get those knightly fanfares, the excitement of his greatest action material, and of course one very remarkable and beautiful main theme, all in one track.

Of course, my most beloved Goldsmith track ever is The Enterprise from Star Trek - TMP, but for me, The Final Game shares second place for best Goldsmith track with King Richard from Lionheart, another thematic and actionpacked extravaganza, finishing, again, with a fantastic main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Knut Avenstroup Haugen - Age Of Conan - Hyborian Adventures (game score)

The * Nighttime Journey Through The Eiglophian Mountains piece is one of the most impressive ones i've heard this year. Great stuff, surprisingly epic, bold and melodic. Coherent musical work with a logical structure that is purely musical and doesn't sound as fragmented at all and the vocal work is equally impressive.

Glad you liked it! I found it truly impressive when I discovered this one a few weeks ago.
    What about "Hymn for King Conan", "Combat Reborn - Stygia", "Combat Reborn - Cimmeria", "Combat Reborn - Aquilonia" and "Memories of Cimmeria"? Impressive stuff!

As you say, epic, bold and melodic. And the vocal work is really really good. Man what a pleasure when you have real voices / instruments working.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Knut Avenstroup Haugen - Age Of Conan - Hyborian Adventures (game score)

The * Nighttime Journey Through The Eiglophian Mountains piece is one of the most impressive ones i've heard this year. Great stuff, surprisingly epic, bold and melodic. Coherent musical work with a logical structure that is purely musical and doesn't sound as fragmented at all and the vocal work is equally impressive.

Glad you liked it! I found it truly impressive when I discovered this one a few weeks ago.
    What about "Hymn for King Conan", "Combat Reborn - Stygia", "Combat Reborn - Cimmeria", "Combat Reborn - Aquilonia" and "Memories of Cimmeria"? Impressive stuff!

As you say, epic, bold and melodic. And the vocal work is really really good. Man what a pleasure when you have real voices / instruments working.

Indeed. SO much better than the usual synthetic crap we get. Such an organic and full of life sound.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael Giacchino - Medal Of Honor - The Definitive Collection

I already have all the MOH soundtracks, so is there any point in me getting this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No.
  3. It's your own playlist, isn't it, D.?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

My favourite score of 2005! Beautiful emotional themes and great action music! I hope they release an expanded version of this along with Howard Shore's rejected work! punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    HeeroJF wrote

We are heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!!! biggrin (YAYY! I have some followers in my cult of Horton lovers!! I'll be bold and say that so far it's the best score of the year, in my opinion)

It is definitely the one I listen to the most, along with Kung Fu Panda. The We are Heeeeeeeere moments are excellent!

NP: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Patrick Doyle

This and The Prizoner of Azkaban are my favorite Harry Potter scores. Oh.... if only Doyle or Williams could return for the remaining movies. The 5th film's music is a disappointment, except for a few noteworthy cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Panthera wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

We are heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!!! biggrin (YAYY! I have some followers in my cult of Horton lovers!! I'll be bold and say that so far it's the best score of the year, in my opinion)

It is definitely the one I listen to the most, along with Kung Fu Panda. The We are Heeeeeeeere moments are excellent!

The flamenco flavour and sheer power of "Mountain Chase" is also a true winner.

NP: nothing, about to go to bed.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Man Without A Face
    - A score I just really enjoy listening to
    - I love the movie too smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Horton Hears A Who! | John Powell

One of this years favourites for me, and easily the best Powell score we've had in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ARMAND AMAR - La Jeune Fille Et Les Loups

Exceptional, emotional musical listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DemonStar wrote

My favourite score of 2005! Beautiful emotional themes and great action music! I hope they release an expanded version of this along with Howard Shore's rejected work! punk

When asked in an interview if there was a possibility in the near future that his rejected score for King Kong would get a release, Howard Shore said simply 'yes, there is'. Here's hoping it'll be soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rambo: First Blood Part II Jerry Goldsmith

A score for MEN. (And women who enjoy manly scores of course.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    The Man Without A Face
    - A score I just really enjoy listening to
    - I love the movie too smile

It is good, I might even watch it today as it's on TV here in UK this afternoon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I actually won a copy of R:FB II from director David Puttnam biggrin
  4. How?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How?

A film festival in Bristol many years ago, they had a fim quiz where you put your hand up to answer questions.

I won the Goldsmith soundtrack, Nyman's The Draughtsmans Contract, a Clint Eastwood Pale rider T-shirt ( still got it ) and a promo poster for The Mission ( in fact I knew Ennio Morricone was scoring the film before any of the rest of the film music world did ). After that small haul Puttnam said anyone can answer except for the man wearing the combat jacket and beret ( me ) wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Happy Feet (powell)

One of the first powell's masterpieces.

and the movie, a masterpiece too. With the same year's rataouille.

That is true. So much melody, so much passion, so much heartfelt music. I love every single note in it.

I like this score a lot, even though there are only a few stand out moments. It's good background music. It really shines when the Land Yacht theme is heard.

I completely agree. I listen to this score all the time.

NP: Duma - John Debney
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    lp wrote
    NP - Rush Hour 3 - Lalo Schifrin

A perfect example of a good score to a not-so-good movie.

I think the score is alright.... but it just never stands out enough for me to say I consider it good.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

JAMES HORNER - Boy in The Striped Pyjamas

BTW, the danger motif has to DIE!!!

-Erik-

Maybe its more of an inside joke? Hitchcock made lots of cameos in his films. Maybe Horner likes to do the same thing with the danger motif?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    BobdH wrote
    DemonStar wrote

When asked in an interview if there was a possibility in the near future that his rejected score for King Kong would get a release, Howard Shore said simply 'yes, there is'. Here's hoping it'll be soon!

Do we know the reason for the rejection? I've been wondering if there's now any bad blood between Peter Jackson and Howard Shore...

Steven wrote

Interesting topic: by looking at your collection, which genre of film would you say lends itself to the manliest scores?

1) Martial arts and personal combat stories?
    2) Submarine undersea epics?
    3) Team sports dramas?
    4) Urban cop flicks?
    5) Wartime sagas?

My vote is on #2. Red October? K-19? Crimson Tide? Literally dripping with testosterone.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: TaleSpin (promo) - Christopher L. Stone

A real hidden gem!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

Is this from the cartoon show that I used to watch?