• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ant's right. That's a typical approach to a sequel!
    smile

I know, but he dropped all of David Newman's themes, so I was wondering if each film would have its own themes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Panthera wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Happy Feet (powell)

One of the first powell's masterpieces.

and the movie, a masterpiece too. With the same year's rataouille.

That is true. So much melody, so much passion, so much heartfelt music. I love every single note in it.

I like this score a lot, even though there are only a few stand out moments. It's good background music. It really shines when the Land Yacht theme is heard.[/b]

Land Yacht? Are you sure you're not talking about Sahara? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote

NP: Duma - John Debney

I like that, a lot. Completely unoriginal but very pleasant as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    BobdH wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard
    My favourite score of 2005! Beautiful emotional themes and great action music! I hope they release an expanded version of this along with Howard Shore's rejected work! punk

When asked in an interview if there was a possibility in the near future that his rejected score for King Kong would get a release, Howard Shore said simply 'yes, there is'. Here's hoping it'll be soon!

Do we know the reason for the rejection? I've been wondering if there's now any bad blood between Peter Jackson and Howard Shore...

Steven wrote
    Rambo: First Blood Part II Jerry Goldsmith

A score for MEN. (And women who enjoy manly scores of course.)

Interesting topic: by looking at your collection, which genre of film would you say lends itself to the manliest scores?

1) Martial arts and personal combat stories?
    2) Submarine undersea epics?
    3) Team sports dramas?
    4) Urban cop flicks?
    5) Wartime sagas?

My vote is on #2. Red October? K-19? Crimson Tide? Literally dripping with testosterone.

5) Wartime sagas?

Goes one of two ways, the manly man scores of Rambo and the like, plus you can't get much more manly man than Ron Goodwin's Where Eagles Dare, or the even more "blokey" Schifrin's Kelly's Heroes.

At the opposite end is Williams silky boy Saving Private Ryan, Kamen's Band of Brothers and any war scene that uses Barber's Adagio For Strings ( make it stop somebody vomit )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    I would add a catagory:
    6) Legend Of the Lone Warrior
    Generally those kind of movies overexposes (in extremis) those traits generally (!) most admired by men: unhampered by emotions, lethally efficient, untouchable, admired by all of womandom.
    Examples are of course Eastwood's The Man With No Name, most James Bond entries, John Wayne, Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin movies, and my personal vote for a Manly Man score: CONAN! By Crom!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Yeah, that's true. This category can't be missed
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    I was playing :The Egyptian (Herrman -Newman)

I don't know about the opinion about this score, but i think it's a really dissapointment.

I hardly can listen the whole score, and when I do it it seems rather bland and unmemorable.

So if anyone help me to enjoy this score...it could be great.

NP:Cleopatra (Jones)

In my opinion the most enjoyable of Jones trio of televisions scores. (Merlin has annoying suspense music, and Dinotopia too much mikcey mousing. Both are impressive scores, thought).

And If you ask me, Cleopatra is what Gladiator or Troy scores lacked: a succefull fusion between Rozsa's old fashioned fanfarres and the new age sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope you don't mean Yared's Troy, because that didn't lack anything.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing :The Egyptian (Herrman -Newman)

I don't know about the opinion about this score, but i think it's a really dissapointment.

I hardly can listen the whole score, and when I do it it seems rather bland and unmemorable.

So if anyone help me to enjoy this score...it could be great.

In my opinion the most enjoyable of Jones trio of televisions scores. (Merlin has annoying suspense music, and Dinotopia too much mikcey mousing. Both are impressive scores, thought).

And If you ask me, Cleopatra is what Gladiator or Troy scores lacked: a succefull fusion between Rozsa's old fashioned fanfarres and the new age sound.

I watched th Jones scored Cleopatra, it's fucking shit! I think the only reason I kept Watching Was because the Cleo actress was continually dressed in see-through clothes!

Sad but true shame cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: TaleSpin (promo) - Christopher L. Stone

A real hidden gem!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

Is this from the cartoon show that I used to watch?

Yeah, the one with Jungle Book characters in a city setting wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Oh! you forgot say "in my humble opinion"....

It's an excesive score. it's too BIG.

NP:Medal Of Honor (GIacchino)

beer

Nazi's theme is in my top 5 top bad guys motif!

"Salker's (or whatever) Mine " Is fu_king addictive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What? Troy is perfect. From note one to the last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    What? Troy is perfect. From note one to the last one.

Ok. the 2 of 3 Gods has spoken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, I agree. It's way too big for the small, intimate, almost claustrophobic scale of Troy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, I agree. It's way too big for the small, intimate, almost claustrophobic scale of Troy.

biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Horner said the same in his "famous" interview.

So im not alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pff. You know my opinion on what Horner said on that specific interview about Yared and Troy moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Horner said the same in his "famous" interview.

So im not alone.

Horner was talking out of his ass! Yared's Troy is magnificent! Too big... Pffffft! Just like Mozart wrote too many notes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seriously Jordi, stand up so you don't sound so muffled.

(You're talking out of your arse. That's the joke there. I'm joking about the fact you're talking out of your arse. You, who's name is Jordi, is talking from one's arse.)
  2. lol

Horner talks out of his ass quite often, actually. I remember him offending Malick in an interview, because he was unable to understand that Malick wants something rather metaphorical than straightforward.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "End Credits" from Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey - Bruce Broughton

One of the best main themes I've ever heard. I still feel a lump in my throat when listening to the finale...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, doesn't surprise me. Horner does appear to take himself very seriously in the interviews I've read and seen. (Unlike Giacchino, Tyler, Arnold, Zimmer and others who seem really easy to get along with. cool )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, doesn't surprise me. Horner does appear to take himself very seriously in the interviews I've read and seen. (Unlike Giacchino, Tyler, Arnold, Zimmer and others who seem really easy to get along with. cool )

I don't mind Horner being so open, blunt and honest but some of the things he says makes me go Hmmmm.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love open honest bluntness, that's me in a nutshell. But I have a similiar 'hmm' reaction to the things he says too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Dawn of the Dead (1978) - Unreleased Soundtrack Music

Most of us know the Goblin score for this movie but apart from that there were lots of unknown incidental cues used as well . All the music on this CD is from the De Wolfe , Rouge and Hudson sound libraries and appear together for the first time ever due to the tireless efforts of music and movie nut Joel Martin who's spent the last 7 years digging in the dusty crates of the aforementioned sound libraries offices in search of this elusive music . Well , I as a fan of the movie , love these tracks . It's a weird collection of music that certainly makes for an interesting listening experience . Who doesn't love 'The Gonk' , the shopping mall music used in the film ? It always puts a smile on my face when I play it . Maybe this CD isn't for everybody , but if you're a Romero
    fan , then this is a must have ...

Now , if you'll excuse me , I'm gonna give the CD another spin ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I love open honest bluntness, that's me in a nutshell. But I have a similiar 'hmm' reaction to the things he says too.

Same here. All that is very good and welcome but one - professionals especially, has to know where to draw the line, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote

It lacked Horner.

tongue
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

It lacked Horner.

tongue

Which was GOOD thing!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

It lacked Horner.

tongue

hmmmmmmmmmmm... no.
    The only thing decent out of Horner's was Achilles theme, and yared's blows that out of the water.

It was so funny what they did with horner's score when they released the extended version of troy. They used music from planet of the apes (elfman), starship troopers, and others. The best moments of horner's score were removed, including the achilles theme whenever achilles to kick a**!

I'm sure we covered this before though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

It lacked Horner.
    tongue

Which was GOOD thing!
    -Erik-

I see your point: too much a good thing and all that, right? biggrin

lol, a Horner vs. Yared war can never go anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree.

Nautilus wrote

Cleopatra is indeed the top of the top. But have you tried Gulliver's Travels? You don't mention that one. It's very mature and rich, even if it's not the masterwork that is Cleopatra.

NP: The Wreck of the Mary Deare, George Duning
    Typical golden age stuff: hard to get into or even detect a theme, but it'll potentially pay off with repeated listenings.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me